PDA

View Full Version : How would you finish Butternut?

bill kaminski
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
I came across some Butternut (aka white walnut) awhile back, and made six small (about 8" square) tile-topped boxes for a friend. Never used this wood before and need suggestions for a finish. I was planning to use BLO and wax. I also have about 50 or 60 bf more, project ideas much appreciated. thank you bill

Jamie Buxton
01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
BLO and wax is a traditional finish from the 17th century. If you're making reproduction furniture, it is the right thing. But it isn't as stain resistant as newer finishes, and the wax needs periodic renewing. Varnish is more resistant to water and oils, and doesn't need renewing. The wipe-on technique is pretty easy. Some folks like the "witches brew" version popularized by Sam Maloof. There are also pre-made wipe-on varnishes from outfits like Minwax.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2011, 2:50 PM
Bill, BLO and wax would work, I often use shellac and wax for butternut items............Regards, Rod.

Joe Dowling Jr
01-31-2011, 5:11 PM
FYI: Butternut and Waterlox Gloss knocked back just a little.

bill kaminski
01-31-2011, 8:08 PM
Thanks so much for the input Creekers. Gotta say Joe... that looks outstanding bill

Quinn McCarthy
02-01-2011, 9:19 AM
I built a shaker cabinet out butternut. I just used Fuhr International WB sealer and top coat finish. Kept it natural because I selected out some real pretty boards. Looks like a million dollars.

Hope that help.

Quinn