PDA

View Full Version : Bailey plane (longish)

Fred Moody
01-14-2005, 2:33 PM
I started a thread the other day about restoring a saw that has been in my family awhile. And it got me to thinking about an old plane that had belonged to my grandpa. I had thought it was a no name because it didn’t have any markings that I could see. So as I was cleaning it up I saw some small etching on the back of the blade. What did it say but “L. Bailey’s Patent Dec. 24 1867” me being new to Neandering thought wait a second this may be a decent plane. So I go to the blood and Gore site and a few others and it may actually be a NO. 6 Type 1
So I have a NO. 6 Bailey plane that I believe is a type 1. It has not been restored but the handle is broken and has been repaired by my grandfather or someone with a small wooden dowel vertically but whatever glue he used doesn’t hold the handle together.

My question to you guys if I want to sell it should I have it professionally repaired or just put it up on eBay. Are there antique colectors that might want to buy it from me as is? I don’t even know how much this is worth. I have looked at many sites but there prices are all over the place.

I am sorry about the lack of photos but I do not have a digital camera. (maybe if I can sell this for enough I might purchase one )

thank you for any comments

Bob Smalser
01-14-2005, 3:18 PM
Most folks would rather have them as-is.

Leif Hanson
01-14-2005, 3:19 PM
This page might interest you:

http://users.ev1.net/~gmuster/TypeStudy/stanno6bptypestudy.htm

If you are going to sell it, I would do nothing other than give it a modest cleaning - just enough to get any grime or grease off of it. #6's aren't the most collectible size, but to someone collecting type 1's, it might be a treasure...

Man, your grandpa was into it good! I'd keep it - but that's me... but a type 1 isn't a user, it's a collector. The later types make for better users.

John Weber
01-14-2005, 3:46 PM
Fred,

I would keep it. I have my Grandfathers #3, and it's my most treasured plane. I think if you keep woodworking, you will regret ever getting rid of it. You can even stick the broken handles in a drawer, buy a set of replacements, sharpen the blade and give it a go. I'm sure it has some extra value if it is a type 1, but again, unless your family doesn't have food I would keep it.

John

Tyler Howell
01-14-2005, 6:16 PM
I 2nd John's comment. One of the more exciting challenges of my rust hunt has been breathing new life into mt GG dad's #5 Jack
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15068

John Miliunas
01-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Fred, personally, I would keep it, but then again, I have absolutely nothing from my grandfather, so I guess I may be being a bit more sentimental about it.

Hey Tyler, you ever finish that #5?:cool: