PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get granite or marble cut into circles?

Tim Neal
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone ever get granite/marble cut in a circular shape...or purchased pre-made? If so...where did you go...how much did you pay? I want to cut as large a circle I can out of 18" tiles. Thanks.

Tim

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2011, 8:01 AM
I have, but can't help on the price. I went to a business near my shop that does counter tops, and traded the cutting for some signs. They also provided the granite, from their leftovers.

Larry Bratton
01-31-2011, 9:27 AM
Lasersketch has Absolute Black Marble in Rounds in 4",6",12" and 18". Its on this page toward the bottom http://www.lasersketch.com/catalog/LS%20Absolute%20Black%20Marble-1106.htm

Tim Neal
02-01-2011, 2:10 PM
Lasersketch has Absolute Black Marble in Rounds in 4",6",12" and 18". Its on this page toward the bottom http://www.lasersketch.com/catalog/LS%20Absolute%20Black%20Marble-1106.htm

Thanks. Yes...I saw those. Since I can buy 18" square tiles suitable for my use pretty cheap, I wanted to explore getting them cut round to see what the total cost would be.

Wil Lambert
02-02-2011, 6:16 AM
I have stuff waterjet cut all the time. For an 18" diameter it will probably run $12-18 each. You have to figure the machine consumes approximately $.3 per minute of garnet. Most of the waterjet guys around me charge $200 per hour for the machine.

Martin Boekers
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I have stuff waterjet cut all the time. For an 18" diameter it will probably run $12-18 each. You have to figure the machine consumes approximately $.3 per minute of garnet. Most of the waterjet guys around me charge $200 per hour for the machine.

Does that include set-up?

I have some ideas for a personal job that I have been tossing around, but the last (only) time I did a water jet project it seemed it cost quite a bit more.

Thanks!

Tim Neal
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM

That's not a bad price. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

I was doing some internet research and found these diamond ring saws (http://youtu.be/0IM1DZPL7YQ) that could do the job easily. The link is just one of several venders I found. I'm not in a position to spend $1300 on a new toy right now, but I thought they were neat.

Dan Hintz
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Tim,

We had a fairly lengthy discussion on rings saws a year or two ago... try searching here. In a nutshell, they're really cool, but pricey... not quite a niche tool, but approaching it. They can be had for <$1k if you do some searching.

Tim Neal
02-02-2011, 3:16 PM
Tim,

We had a fairly lengthy discussion on rings saws a year or two ago... try searching here. In a nutshell, they're really cool, but pricey... not quite a niche tool, but approaching it. They can be had for <$1k if you do some searching.

I read some of the old posts...I had no idea ring saws were around that long. Did some more internet searching and found some models under $500.00. Hmmmmm....

Joe De Medeiros
02-02-2011, 6:38 PM
I read some of the old posts...I had no idea ring saws were around that long. Did some more internet searching and found some models under $500.00. Hmmmmm....

I have 2 of them Taurus II.2 and the Taurus 3, the the 3 can take the slicing blade and the mega blade. The II.2 is has been discontinued, which is a good thing, you had to replace the grommets every 40/60 hours of use or you would break blades. We only used them to cut glass in our studio. if you are thinking of getting one, you should also pickup a spare parts kit.

Dan Hintz
02-02-2011, 8:07 PM
Joe,

Any suggestions on models other than the Taurus 3? I have considered getting a ring saw ever since the original thread I referred to, but there was never a "need". Still, now that I've been purchasing a lot of toys lately, I could get rid of my current wet tile saw and a ring saw would take up a similar amount of room ;) :D

oscar martinez
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I make granite counter tops I consider my self expert stone cutter.Do not buy those rings saws for granite specially for black granite is the most hard stone you can cut on granitesThe ring saw is for ceramic tiles or soft stones like travertine never seen cut trough black granite. Black marble is another story is much softer and more better results for engraving. I cut sink holes whit my diamond blades and polish the edges with different pad polishers Wet polishing using acid powder
dry cutting with 4 inches blades. It takes a lots of skills to Polish black granite is not an easy task but with a lots of practice you can polish almost anything. The best you can have is to ask a stone counter top fabricator locally.They will be willing to cut stones for you in exchange for something A picture on granite etc. Other wise you have to spend about $1500 for a stone router alone no bits the bits for the router cost Around $250 plus or around $800 for tools,blades,pads .if somebody is interested I can explain more.
Atte Oscar
At the Golden State

Dan Hintz
02-03-2011, 6:44 AM
Oscar,

There's always a need for more detailed descriptions on just about everything found in these forums... feel free to tell us what you know :)

Joe De Medeiros
02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I make granite counter tops I consider my self expert stone cutter.Do not buy those rings saws for granite specially for black granite is the most hard stone you can cut on granitesThe ring saw is for ceramic tiles or soft stones like travertine never seen cut trough black granite. Black marble is another story is much softer and more better results for engraving. I cut sink holes whit my diamond blades and polish the edges with different pad polishers Wet polishing using acid powder
dry cutting with 4 inches blades. It takes a lots of skills to Polish black granite is not an easy task but with a lots of practice you can polish almost anything. The best you can have is to ask a stone counter top fabricator locally.They will be willing to cut stones for you in exchange for something A picture on granite etc. Other wise you have to spend about $1500 for a stone router alone no bits the bits for the router cost Around $250 plus or around $800 for tools,blades,pads .if somebody is interested I can explain more.
Atte Oscar
At the Golden State

Oscar, your are right about Thick granite, but I have cut absolute black granite tiles with no problems( kitchen floor in my last house), you have to go slow and be patient, thick granite is just too much for these saws, Oscar also brings up a good point about polishing, it's very hard to polish, and requires a lot of different grits to get a good finish. Dan if I was adding a new one I would buy the Titan XT or the Revolution XT. I have many hours on both my saw, the II.2 is 10 years old, and the 3 is 6 years old.

Ana Andrews
02-21-2011, 3:50 AM
You can use a ceramic-tile saw. It is necessary to make certain cuts in tile, granite, marble and other stone products. Most ceramic tile saws have diamond blades. These saws cut ceramic-tile very easily because the saw blade is cooled by water. The cuts are dust-free, and very smooth.

Ana Andrews
02-23-2011, 4:03 AM
Truly Granite and marble are among the most popular choices for a kitchen countertop as they can both provide a quite elegant look to any kitchen space and are already available in a wide range of designs.