PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Columbian Quick Release vise

Chris Atzinger
01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi,

I was given an "older" Columbian quick release vise for a workbench I am building, but am having problems with the QR mechanism. The main screw is flat (no threads) on one side that you turn up, in order to slide the outside jaw in and out (there is a guide bar on each side of the screw). There is a bronze plate inside a housing that you engage to tighten up the jaws. You really only get about 3/4 of turn to clamp down on the work piece before a cast "stop" prevents you from turning any further.

I think there is too much "play" in the bronze threaded plate, and that I may be missing a piece. I saw on another forum a reference to a "spring", and there is a curious hole on the plate at the back. It is not threaded.

Does anyone else have a vise matching this description? Is there any sort of spring-like part attached to the bronze insert?

I don't have the vise at my house, so i don't have a model # or a good picture. I will provide those ASAP.

Thanks for any insights!
-Chris

Chris Atzinger
01-31-2011, 2:09 PM
Ok, as promised, here is a link to some pics of the vise slightly disassembled.

http://picasaweb.google.com/catzinger/20110131?feat=directlink

Here is the part in question, that floats more than I think it should.

Any ideas? has anyone seen one like this?

Thanks!
Chris

glenn bradley
01-31-2011, 3:53 PM
I have seen two specific types of this mechanism. On one type (like mine) there is a spring loaded tongue that attaches to a small lever at the front of the vise. The lever is depressed and the tongue allows the piece you show to fall (via gravity) enough to allow the screw to be moved in and out. The lever is released, springs back and places pressure on the piece you show via the tongue.

Vise hardware (no jaws) use a different shaped piece than you show. Gravity allow the half-threaded sleeve to fall out of the way when the screw (via the handle) is reversed about a quarter turn. When the vise is in about the position you want a cam flops the sleeve back into the engaged position as the screw is turned clockwise for tightening. The disadvantage of this style is that you can only tighten the vise via the screw, not loosen it.

Here's a pic of mine (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64518&d=1179080670) unfortunately the tongue is behond the screw. I can post more pics after work if you would like.

Chris Atzinger
01-31-2011, 4:52 PM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the response. Mine doesn't have any lever or anything. In the second pic below, you will see the screw has a flat spot (unthreaded) that runs the length. When I want to push/pull the vise jaw, I rotate the handle until the flat is up, and then push/pull. The bronze threaded plate, basically just rides on top. once i turn the handle, the screw engages the plates, and I can tight for about 3/4 of a turn. I can't go any further, because there is a nub on the screw flange that prevents the flat spot from making a full rotation (you can see the nub stop in the first pic on the right side of the metal dog housing).

jerry theros
02-02-2011, 5:27 PM
hey chris... I got one of those vises, I think mine is a older one, but theres a spring that goes in that hole in the brass part and if memory serves correctly I think theres a hat shaped pin on the outter spring. the spring and pin only stick outside of the housing by about a 1/4". Hope this helps?

Chris Atzinger
02-02-2011, 9:47 PM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the confirmation. I heard the same thing (missing spring) from another forum. When you say the spring sticks out of the "housing" 1/4" inch, the "housing" you are referring to is the bronze piece, correct?

Thanks!
Chris

jerry theros
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
yeah, thats right chris...1/4" or so just enough to keep pressure on the brass sleeve so the threads engage. Also check that the brass theads aren't too worn, yours looked ok in the pictures from what I could see, thats what worn out on another one of these vises I had years ago good luck!

glenn bradley
02-03-2011, 2:23 PM
Mine doesn't have any lever or anything.

Well shoot. I was just no help at all then. So, it looks like the design assumes that 2/3 of a turn or so should be all you'll ever need(?). Its a nice looking vise but I don't know that the lack of travel will suit woodworking very well. I'm probably missing something . . . ah, the spring discussion seems to be on track ;-)

jerry theros
02-03-2011, 7:51 PM
hi glenn I just went out and measured, about 1/4" between theads on center and about 7/8 turn between stops, seems to tighten down well but I just mounted the vise on a bench I'm building lately so time will tell? I hope that helps chris