PDA

View Full Version : It is gonna snow. A bunch.

Phil Thien
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Alright, this morning there was a severe weather alert for our area for up to 12" of snow mostly Monday night through Thursday some time.

At noon it was increased to a possible 16". And they started using the word "blizzard."

Just checked it now and they're saying up to 24".

Do you see where this is going? Why do I keep checking?

24" is a lot of snow. Enough snow to shut even a city like Milwaukee down for a few days.

I need more wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Some advice Phil.....buy some extra coffee.....find some extra wood.....hunker down.

Phil Thien
01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Sage advice, Ken. Coffee and wood.

Lee Ludden
01-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I feel your pain. It will barely make it to 60 tomorrow here.

Joe Zerafa
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Was 45 ºC / 113 ºF in my workshop yesterday :( wish I could send some your way.

Joe

John Fabre
01-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Talk about global warming

Steve Schoene
01-31-2011, 1:30 AM
Yes, global warming may well be related to the relatively high snowfall much of the country has experienced in recent years. Snow develops best with temperatures moderately below freezing. Really bitter cold doesn't generate so much.

Matt Meiser
01-31-2011, 6:18 AM
We're in line for 8-15 according to the latest watch but there's also talk about a significant ice storm in northern Ohio, creeping into MI. That could be ugly. I'm going to fill up all my gas cans for the generator tomorrow morning when i go out for an appointment, just in case.

Belinda Barfield
01-31-2011, 6:38 AM
I'll be thinking about all you folks suffering in the cold and snow. Take care of yourselves! It was 75 in Savannah yesterday.

John Coloccia
01-31-2011, 7:05 AM
24"? Ha! I'm way beyond worrying about a measly 24". 24" of snow is what I have in some spots that have been shoveled previously. At this point, we're just rounding to the nearest foot. My driveway and walkway look like tunnels. If I don't park just right, I can't open my door due to the snow.

I'm just hoping it dumps it all on Phil and Matt so there's nothing left by the time it gets to me! :p

Brian Loucks
01-31-2011, 7:15 AM
John, Thanks for creating mounds that will block the snow from coming up the Hudson River Valley to me!
Brian

John Coloccia
01-31-2011, 8:36 AM
By the way...why are there all these birds chirping around my house?? It just started happening this morning. Very strange. I hate snow almost as much as I hate birds. Pigeons to be exact, but after 21 years in New York, they all look like pigeons to me.

Phil Thien
01-31-2011, 8:43 AM
By the way...why are there all these birds chirping around my house?? It just started happening this morning. Very strange. I hate snow almost as much as I hate birds. Pigeons to be exact, but after 21 years in New York, they all look like pigeons to me.

Oh, they said it is coming your way when it is done here. Those birds know. They're stuffing their gullets.

Phil Thien
01-31-2011, 9:18 AM
BTW, I think we should all agree (as gentlemen and a few ladies) to never again utter the words "global warming" on SMC. Just too much passion around that one.

David Weaver
01-31-2011, 9:32 AM

If your experience is similar to mine, they're probably in your chimney :p

John Coloccia
01-31-2011, 9:37 AM
If your experience is similar to mine, they're probably in your chimney :p

The only bird chirping in my chimney is possibly a phoenix.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I'll be thinking about all you folks suffering in the cold and snow. Take care of yourselves! It was 75 in Savannah yesterday.

Thanks Belinda, however I don't consider snow storms bad, I enjoy them.

I get to stay home and watch the snow fall, and enjoy the quiet of the city.

After shovelling I make a large mug of Earl Grey tea, sit in the Morris chair and watch the birds in the feeder.......Really pleasant........Of course I'm lucky enough to get paid whether I make it into work or not.........Regards, Rod.

Glenn Clabo
01-31-2011, 2:13 PM
Belinda...
I don't suffer the cold...it's the heat that kills me. I keep moving further and further north...and it makes me happier and happier.

Belinda Barfield
01-31-2011, 2:32 PM
I suppose "suffer" wasn't the best choice. Maybe I should have used the word "battling" instead. It sounds like this is going to be a whopper of a storm.

Jason Roehl
01-31-2011, 4:05 PM
Batten down the hatches and strap in....yeeeeehhaaaaawwwww!

I've been plowing for the last 3 seasons for a friend of mine. Only once did I do 6" in that time. This year we had a 6" storm, but we were on top of it and it came down slow, so it was essentially 2 separate 3" pushes (made for one stinkin' long day, though--26 straight hours on the clock driving). We're supposed to get 10"+. I just hope that equipment holds up, because big snows break stuff.

Matt Meiser
01-31-2011, 4:09 PM
Ours has now been updated. Detroit NWS is forecasting 8-15" for us. Cleveland NWS is for casting 12-18" in Toledo, just 8 miles south. Betther than the 1" of ice mentioned earlier today. Toledo is now under a Winter Storm Warning, we're still under a Watch.

Marty Paulus
01-31-2011, 5:47 PM
I guess I am not as worried about the snow as much as I am the cold. They are now talking about wind chills below zero. That kind of wind with the snow will get ugly in a hurry.

By they way Matt, they are still only calling for 12" up my way.

Rick Moyer
01-31-2011, 6:06 PM
We're only supposed to get 2"-4", then some mixed precip. All the big snows are going south and east of here, which is fine by me.

Bruce Page
01-31-2011, 6:44 PM
I went out for breakfast in a short sleeve shirt this morning. :p
Then it started snowing at lunch. Big flakes, should start sticking to the streets soon.
Nice thing about Albuquerque snow storms is the snow is usually gone in a day or two. :cool:

Myk Rian
01-31-2011, 6:50 PM
Bring it on!!!

Raymond Fries
01-31-2011, 7:08 PM
I like Ken's idea...

Got wood?

I do...

Matt Meiser
01-31-2011, 8:10 PM
Unfortunately for me, I work from home so no excuses as long as the power stays on.

Brian Kent
01-31-2011, 8:13 PM
Joe, where do you live!?

Charlie Reals
01-31-2011, 8:17 PM
Had a month of spring then woke up to 2" of snow yesterday. Today we are back to 50 and melting.

Glen J. Peterson
01-31-2011, 8:28 PM
I'm and elementary school principal and we haven't had a full week of school since new year. What a pain. I haven't seen this much snow in 30 years. It's a real pain, I envy you gloaters from warmer climes. See you when I retire. At least it's warm in the shop.
Glen

Brian Effinger
01-31-2011, 8:28 PM
Yes, global warming may well be related to the relatively high snowfall much of the country has experienced in recent years. Snow develops best with temperatures moderately below freezing. Really bitter cold doesn't generate so much.
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. It can snow just as easily at 10 below as it can at 20 above, as long as there is moisture in the atmosphere.

I'm just hoping it dumps it all on Phil and Matt so there's nothing left by the time it gets to me! :p
Now there's an idea! :D I'm hoping it is all snowed out by the time it gets to Buffalo. Hey, a man can wish, can't he? :rolleyes:

And Myk.... do you want to come do my driveway with that? :D

Bob Rufener
02-01-2011, 1:36 PM
My wife and I drove through Milwaukee Sunday morning about 3:15. The roads were excellent. We checked into a condo in Estero, FL Monday morning after about 1400 miles of good roads and not heavy traffic. I'm sure glad we don't have to deal with the snow and cold for the next two months. I will be checking with friends and relatives to see how they are dealing with the weather. It is now sunny and 80 degrees and I am loving it!

Rich Engelhardt
02-01-2011, 4:24 PM
We're supposed to get smacked by either a big gob of snow or freezing rain.

I'm so sick right now, I don't care which one we get hit by. I guess if I had ny druthers. I'd druther it be the snow.
@ least that way I could run screaming out into it w/a shovel and tie into it until I keeled over w/a heart attack....

Right now a massive heart attack would seem like an improvement over the way my head has felt the last week..

Ron Jones near Indy
02-01-2011, 4:48 PM
I'll gladly trade 12 to 24 inches of snow for the 1 to 2 inches of ice we are getting. I'm shocked that I still have power and can post this.

Bob Rossi
02-01-2011, 4:54 PM
Talk about global warming

Yep. With warmer temperatures there is less polar ice, more evaporation, more moisture in the atmosphere.

Raymond Fries
02-01-2011, 5:10 PM
...and I am home. YAY. Work closed at noon today and I am not expected to go in tomorrow.

Looks like I get some extra shop time this week!

John Coloccia
02-01-2011, 7:17 PM
Well, I just got done plowing....again. The annual ATV mileage for this year is 15 miles. That's 15 miles of driving back and forth in my driveway. It doesn't even feel like I'm actually plowing it anymore. All I'm doing is randomly moving it around. There's nowhere left to put it. Supposedly we're in for more tomorrow. I haven't even bothered listening to the weather report. What's another foot of snow at this point? 2 feet? Whatever. Bring it on!

Jason Roehl
02-01-2011, 9:34 PM
Yep. With warmer temperatures there is less polar ice, more evaporation, more moisture in the atmosphere.

More moisture in the air, more clouds, more reflected sunlight, more moderated temperatures...

Phil Thien
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm going to ask again that we refrain from any talk of global warming in this thread.

If you want to get your own threads locked, then go right ahead. Don't get mine locked.

Leo Graywacz
02-01-2011, 10:30 PM

In that case I have 4' of global warming surrounding my driveway.

Sorry Phil. Posted this early in the thread only to find your post.

oopsie

Lloyd James
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Phil, We are almost neighbors, living in Jackson. I may have to borrow your
snowthrower. I take care of a neighbors Springer Spaniel and you wouldn't believe how he loves to pull me through the snow when we go on a trail behind one of our holding pons. I havn't got this tired in years.

Rick Moyer
02-02-2011, 1:16 AM
well I said we weren't getting much snow. Here's the current weather map. Caution: slippery when wet!

http://g0.imwx.com/TileServer/imgs/radar/201102020605/0320100.png
The pink is ICE

Phil Thien
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
We had some 4' snow drifts and about 18" of snow in the driveway. There were a couple of areas with no snow. Not many, though.

The Toro single-stage snow thrower was up to the job, though. In two hours I did 2.5 driveways and three sidewalks.

Watching the local news now. Lots of interstate closures. Expressway backups for miles. Plows can't get through. And some of the snow drifts apparently have cars underneath them.

Dave Anderson NH
02-02-2011, 3:36 PM
Home today in the shop. Work is closed because the MA town I work in delcalared a snow emergency and there is no parking. As usual, they hyped the storm up and it has been just another ho hum snowfall, 6" yesterday and about 8" today with another 2" tonight. The 4 feet we got in January has settled won to about 2 feet and the blankety blank deer have been denuding my shrubs. The roads are fine, and it only took about 45 minutes to clear the driveway and the area between the house and barn. Back to work tomorrow.

Marty Paulus
02-02-2011, 4:04 PM
Well here in SE Michigan it is hard to tell if we really got the 12" of snow they were predicting. Last night on my drive home, at about midnight, there was about 4" on the freeways and no sign of the plows. Lucky for me there were also very few other drivers. It really only took me 1/2 again as long as it normally does. This morning, if I had to guess I would say we got maybe 8". The snow was up to the second step out my back door and since I built them with a 4" rise due to a very old dog's ability to get up much taller steps, I would guess 8". There were drifts that may have gone 14-16. All in all we didn't get hit too bad here.

Rick Moyer
02-02-2011, 5:28 PM
well I said we weren't getting much snow. Here's the current weather map. Caution: slippery when wet!

http://g0.imwx.com/TileServer/imgs/radar/201102020605/0320100.png
The pink is ICE

What happened to my picture?

Matt Meiser
02-02-2011, 7:16 PM
Rick, I think it has something to do with where you linked from, nothing to do with the creek.

The paper here says 6-8" but that was probably the minimum depth anywhere in my driveway. I went out at 8:30AM and started plowing, came in for a 9:30 conference call, and went back out until 1:30. That included plowing my driveway, completely clearing the road in front of my house shoulder-shoulder, doing a neighbor's drive, and plowing out 1 lane (with room for error) wide down to the nearest paved road, about 1/4 mile and clearing in front of several neighbors mailboxes. In a normal snow I can plow in about 30 minutes, plus another 30 if I need to go down to the corner.

In our county, dirt roads are 3rd on the priority list. First the interstates (there's 3) and primary routes like US-24. Then they do the paved roads. Then dirt roads. Then last the subdivisions. At 1:30 they still hadn't gone down the paved road. They must still be pretty bad since school already canceled for tomorrow.

I know in Toledo, Woodcraft was CLOSED! :eek:

Since I can't go anywhere tonight, I'll be working to make up the time.

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 1:56 PM
Rick, I think it has something to do with where you linked from, nothing to do with the creek.

The paper here says 6-8" but that was probably the minimum depth anywhere in my driveway. I went out at 8:30AM and started plowing, came in for a 9:30 conference call, and went back out until 1:30. That included plowing my driveway, completely clearing the road in front of my house shoulder-shoulder, doing a neighbor's drive, and plowing out 1 lane (with room for error) wide down to the nearest paved road, about 1/4 mile and clearing in front of several neighbors mailboxes. In a normal snow I can plow in about 30 minutes, plus another 30 if I need to go down to the corner.

In our county, dirt roads are 3rd on the priority list. First the interstates (there's 3) and primary routes like US-24. Then they do the paved roads. Then dirt roads. Then last the subdivisions. At 1:30 they still hadn't gone down the paved road. They must still be pretty bad since school already canceled for tomorrow.

I know in Toledo, Woodcraft was CLOSED! :eek:

Since I can't go anywhere tonight, I'll be working to make up the time.

We closed early Tuesday, and may have been closed all day yesterday (Machester, CT Woodcraft).

This morning, I had to get winched out of my driveway. How pathetic is that?

Callan Campbell
02-04-2011, 2:56 PM
Well Phil, how did you make out with the storm up in Milwaukee?. As you already/ probably know, Chicago took a large beating, and many motorists got stranded on the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive. I went through 4 tanks of gas on my old Sears 20" 2- stage snowblower, ended up changing the oil last night cause it finally got too dirty from the engine running for so long, and inspected the spark plug for wear. Oiled everything up for the next go-around, whenever that might be, and am now fully tired of shoveling and blowing snow. Then again, I'm better off than John C. in Conn., so I can't complain that much.

John Coloccia
02-04-2011, 3:21 PM
There's been incredible price gouging around here. I had my roof cleared last week for $300. This week everyone's charging $800+ (glad I got mine done last week!). One quoted $1100. The 5 minute winch out of my driveway cost me $100. I've gotten tows to Hartford for less than that. The station is 2 miles from my house. Fortunately, there's a local hardware store that's NOT gouging on his salt, ice melt, shovels etc. He's got me business for life. There's a couple of others that will get my business moving forward as well. I've compiled a nice long list of businesses I will NEVER do business with again, though. I hope people around here have long memories and talk with each other. Business is business, but this is just sinful.

Matt Meiser
02-04-2011, 6:32 PM
Well, we just saw our UPS driver for the first time since Monday. By the time he would have gotten here Tuesday our road was impassible, then Wednesday and yesterday. He couldn't even get here by his normal route today, but went around a different way and made it through. A real pain since I had an important package to be picked up using their call tag service so I couldn't take it and drop it off myself.

Tom Winship
02-05-2011, 9:13 AM
Well, we got about 1/2" Thursday nite, on top of a minute amount of sleet. Shut things down here. I went outside the house twice yesterday, once to get the paper and once to take a few pictures. Will get up to 54 degrees today, thank goodness. Monday it was almost 80 degrees. I wish it was either 80 or 40, not both in the same day. As they say, "We just ain't equipped for it". Have read a good book tho.

Matt Meiser
02-05-2011, 7:59 PM
Well, big suprise today as a chance of snow showers today turned into a forecast for 2-4" as of this morning, then 3-5" and there's 6" here. Made for a really fun day (among other reasons) since a group of us drove from SE Michigan to Columbus today. Was supposed to start in the afternoon but arrived by mid morning and we got caught up in it. Saw lots of cars where they weren't supposed to be.

Rich Aldrich
02-05-2011, 8:22 PM
You need to move to the UP. We haven't got that much snow this year. The big storms keep going south of us. I guess you are getting it instead of us.

Mike OMelia
02-06-2011, 12:16 PM
You need to move to the UP. We haven't got that much snow this year. The big storms keep going south of us. I guess you are getting it instead of us.

The UP? The same UP where most two story houses have exterior doors on the second floor? The same UP that has a 40 foot pole that marks the annual snow fall records? (the last time I saw it, it said 36 feet).

John C.: Never heard of roof clearing before. I lived in Boston for a while, Swampscott (by the sea), was there during "The Perfect Storm". I sure am glad I never had to clear the roof, that would have killed me financially back then.

jackie gates
02-06-2011, 4:31 PM
It rained cats and dogs here! No not really, but it did snow sand. Here in East Texas about 3" fell THUR. night. It is finally melted. This
monring we drove our car to church, I hadn't removed the snow from it just let it melt.. I noticed that the car was covered with a thick coating of fine sand. obviousely the snow contained a large amount of sand which had come from a western dust storm, and was mixed into the snow clouds. Back in the 50's I was stationed at Whellus AB, Lybia N. Africa, the base is on the shore of the Meditranian. Large to giant size water spouts can develope and come inland, these cyclones suck up million of gallons of seaweed, fish etc. On one occasion 3 spouts came across the Base and went through the flight line area. About 30 aircraft fuel drop tanks in their crates, (each about 400#) were sucked up, along with 3 or 4 truck loads of long 2x4 & 2x6 lumber. We watched them swirlling upward into the high clouds and disappear, to later be rained out onto the desert. WOW what a sight!!!!

John Coloccia
02-06-2011, 7:33 PM

I know you're not going to take this the wrong way, but can you believe we ended up on th UP for our honeymoon? We'll surely be back, if for no other reason than to correct all of the horrific mispronunciation of Finnish :D

We were there for several days, and had quite a nice time. Of course, it was in April so it was very quiet and uncrowded.

Mike OMelia
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
John, did you visit that monestary with monks that sells baked goods? Someone told me that it was not really a monestary... just a business. Felt deflated after that. But those gigantic muffins are awesome!

Mike

Randy Dutkiewicz
02-07-2011, 7:52 PM
Alright, this morning there was a severe weather alert for our area for up to 12" of snow mostly Monday night through Thursday some time.

At noon it was increased to a possible 16". And they started using the word "blizzard."

Just checked it now and they're saying up to 24".

Do you see where this is going? Why do I keep checking?

24" is a lot of snow. Enough snow to shut even a city like Milwaukee down for a few days.

I need more wood.

I hear ya' Phil! My dad lives in Caledonia and he told me it was the worst he's seen in the 44 years living there!

John Coloccia
02-07-2011, 8:23 PM
John, did you visit that monestary with monks that sells baked goods? Someone told me that it was not really a monestary... just a business. Felt deflated after that. But those gigantic muffins are awesome!

Mike

Monastery? Nope. We were out on the north-western tip. There was a college town there....Houghton, I think? Anyhow, we were in that area and made it out to Copper Harbor. For those that don't know, that's like dangling from a thread in the middle of a big lake. That's the first time in my life that my car read "80 Miles To Empty Tank", and I was starting to get VERY nervous about running out of gas. There is just NOTHING open up there in the off season, nor is there any cell phone coverage. My GPS thought we were in Canada and it didn't have any of the roads in it's map anyhow....and it's a LOOONNNGG walk to town :)

It was so nice to get away from all the people that annoy me, which is most people, by the way...

Mike Cruz
02-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Phil, maybe now that this has passed, you can reflect and come up with the Thien snow remover... ;)

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 4:02 PM
So now tell me why it is that with a phone book full of people that claim to do snow plowing and removal, I have an old guy called "Red" in a beat up truck doing my snow plowing. Here's why:

Me: I need to have my driveway plo...
Them: HAS IT BEEN DONE BEFORE?? (screaming because he can't take a second to turn off his snow blower)
Me: Of course...I just need it cleared fr....
Them: IS IT JUST THE LAST STORM??? IS IT ICY??
Me: Yeah, it's icy.
Them: I MAY NEED TO PUT DOWN SAND AND SALT
Me: Yeah, okay fine.
Them: I MAY NEED TO GO BACK AND GET MORE SAND AND SALT...I DON"T KNOW IF I CAN DO THAT....
Me: Well, maybe you can call me back.
Them: YEAH, LET ME SEE...I'M A LITTLE BUSY....CAN I CALL YOU BACK?
Me: Uhm, sure. That's a good idea.

After 3 or 4 of these, and no callbacks, I finally get to this point:

Me: Well just exactly what CAN you do, when can you do it, and what will it cost???

So I call Red:

Me: Hi, Red. It's John Coloccia in Bolton. Could you come do some plowing today.
Red: Sure. I'm at work. I'll be there around 4:30 or 5:00.
Me: Thanks, Red.

He charges me $50 or $60 and just gets it done. He won't be able to do much because of the ice, but I know that and he knows that, and it won't even come up. He'll do his best and charge me a fair price without giving me a hastle. Just why oh why is this sooooo difficult to find??

Thanks, Red.

Charlie Reals
02-09-2011, 4:07 PM
So now tell me why it is that with a phone book full of people that claim to do snow plowing and removal, I have an old guy called "Red" in a beat up truck doing my snow plowing. Here's why:

Me: I need to have my driveway plo...
Them: HAS IT BEEN DONE BEFORE?? (screaming because he can't take a second to turn off his snow blower)
Me: Of course...I just need it cleared fr....
Them: IS IT JUST THE LAST STORM??? IS IT ICY??
Me: Yeah, it's icy.
Them: I MAY NEED TO PUT DOWN SAND AND SALT
Me: Yeah, okay fine.
Them: I MAY NEED TO GO BACK AND GET MORE SAND AND SALT...I DON"T KNOW IF I CAN DO THAT....
Me: Well, maybe you can call me back.
Them: YEAH, LET ME SEE...I'M A LITTLE BUSY....CAN I CALL YOU BACK?
Me: Uhm, sure. That's a good idea.

After 3 or 4 of these, and no callbacks, I finally get to this point:

Me: Well just exactly what CAN you do, when can you do it, and what will it cost???

So I call Red:

Me: Hi, Red. It's John Coloccia in Bolton. Could you come do some plowing today.
Red: Sure. I'm at work. I'll be there around 4:30 or 5:00.
Me: Thanks, Red.

He charges me $50 or $60 and just gets it done. He won't be able to do much because of the ice, but I know that and he knows that, and it won't even come up. He'll do his best and charge me a fair price without giving me a hastle.
Just why oh why is this sooooo difficult to find??Thanks, Red.

Cuzz there taint too many of us old guys left, youngins don't do that .:D:D

Belinda Barfield
02-09-2011, 4:10 PM
Me: Why didn't you just call Red in the first place?

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 4:31 PM
Me: Why didn't you just call Red in the first place?

I will next time. I feel bad putting him out because he works a day job, and I'm just some pain in the butt that needs his driveway cleared. I hate to bother him during the week as I'm sure he wants to go home after a long day's work.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2011, 4:32 PM
Gee Belinda...you seem to have some salt with you......:rolleyes::D

Jason Roehl
02-09-2011, 7:45 PM
Well, John, sorry you had trouble finding someone to plow for you, but after this winter, I understand. It's been crazy. I just did another driveway 30 miles away today (with a tracked skidsteer)--leftover from the storms last Tuesday-Saturday. I had to bust through 4' of snow from when the county plow went by, then there were 4-5' drifts in the driveway up by the house--looped driveway to boot. Anyway, my boss (friend--I do this for "fun", and a little money) said that everyone should carry the "snow phone" once while they're plowing. The minute he tries to schlep that %$@#$#@ thing off on me, I'll quit. Most people who plow for money get all their contracts set up in the fall, and base them all on the typical snowfall. Around here, that means 2-4" at a time, rarely more than that. Even with 5 plow trucks (two are medium-duty--bigger than one-ton trucks), two skidsteers and, this year, a backhoe, we'll still often be out for over 12 hours with a typical event. Throw in over an inch of sleet and over 8" of snow, and at one point last week I did almost 32 hours straight--65 hours total from Tues 3:30AM to Sun 4AM. I started using earbuds with my iPhone just so I could hear my boss (or others) when they called while I was in the diesel truck. Otherwise, I'd have to stop and get out every time they called, and wouldn't get anything done.

Anyway, if you're not a regular customer, doing your driveway for one snow/ice event almost isn't worth it for most plowing outfits. It kind of boils down to the old saying, "Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part." ;) We do driveways, but they tend to be for HOAs that have us do ALL the driveways in the neighborhood, and sometimes the roads, too.

Charlie Reals
02-09-2011, 8:56 PM
Most here do a yearly contract. normal snow you make money, lotta snow you lose. Driver gets paid, owner sweats.
Anyone with equipment dedicated to "one shots" can make a mint.
Plowing is a young mans game. done my turn in the barrel with that one.

Belinda Barfield
02-09-2011, 8:59 PM
Gee Belinda...you seem to have some salt with you......:rolleyes::D

Always, Ken, always.:D

Jason Roehl
02-09-2011, 9:30 PM
Most here do a yearly contract. normal snow you make money, lotta snow you lose. Driver gets paid, owner sweats.
Anyone with equipment dedicated to "one shots" can make a mint.
Plowing is a young mans game. done my turn in the barrel with that one.

Wow, that's craziness. Our contracts are all on a per-push basis, and the rates go up with the depth of snow. Unfortunately, there are too many small-timers in the area, so the hourly rate on the miscellaneous stuff is pretty low--around $65/hr., which doesn't leave a lot of room when you're running heavy equipment.

Phil Thien
02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow, that's craziness. Our contracts are all on a per-push basis, and the rates go up with the depth of snow. Unfortunately, there are too many small-timers in the area, so the hourly rate on the miscellaneous stuff is pretty low--around $65/hr., which doesn't leave a lot of room when you're running heavy equipment.

Around here the larger landscapers (those with lotsa trucks) write half their contracts as seasonal (lump-sum for the snow season), the other half as per-visit. That way they make some money even if it barely snows. And while they still do alright if it snows a ton, the sweet spot is in the middle.

Charlie Reals
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Around here the larger landscapers (those with lotsa trucks) write half their contracts as seasonal (lump-sum for the snow season), the other half as per-visit. That way they make some money even if it barely snows. And while they still do alright if it snows a ton, the sweet spot is in the middle.

Some of us here do that also and it works most years. We have a lot of rental places so the contracts work great. One guy does have a bobcat blower and a push truck and does strictly one shots at $75 and up up up.
The guys with contracts this year might do good as it very well could be rain here the rest of the year. 5 miles up the road is a different story.