PDA

View Full Version : Recent Stuff

Bruce Pratt
01-30-2011, 9:28 PM
Pix of some recent work.

Spalted maple vase - 9 x 4 1/4; shellac finish. Hollowed freehand with larger Ellsworth tools. LOML suggested it would look better with a foot.

Candlestick - 9 x 2 7/8; one coat AO, Bealled with wax only. Was going to be an Olsolnik style piece, but somewhere along the way in got a bit more curvaceous.

Cherry burl bowls 3 x 6 1/2 and 2 1/2 x 6 1/2. one coat of Behlen topcoat lacquer (rattle can) - more coats on the way. These are from the cherry burl I posted a couple of months ago. The color is more correct in the second picture.

Goblet - red oak 7 x 2 1/8 - no finish yet. A riff from a You Tube video eccentric goblet 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7lG_z2q1U)

-----------
Bruce Pratt

John Keeton
01-30-2011, 9:37 PM
Nice array of turnings, Bruce - some really interesting stuff. I think you added a bit of character to the Olsolnik candle stick - kinda neat! And, that cherry burl bowl really has a lot going on.

Roger Chandler
01-30-2011, 9:42 PM
Love the vase, the bowl is just busy with all kinds of grain, voids, etc. I have not as of yet attempted any eccentric turnings, but they are whimsical.

Bruce Pratt
01-30-2011, 9:44 PM
Thanks John. The cherry is actually two bowls. I managed to get an intact bowl out of each half of the burl. The bowls were cut "endgrain" although there wasn't much of the original tree trunk left in the burl, mostly fairly punky heartwood, stabilized with large quantities of thin CA!

Bruce Pratt
01-30-2011, 9:47 PM
Roger,

I agree about the eccentric goblet. Being red oak, it would be way too much work to make it a functional (= holds water) piece. Kind of just did it to see how it would turn out.

David E Keller
01-30-2011, 9:53 PM
Nice work, Bruce, and plenty of variety. The cherry burl bowls are the real winners for me, and I like the level of finish shown in the first of the two photos... I just don't like shiny bark for some reason. The eccentric turning is really interesting, and I'm off to find that youtube video now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mark Burge
01-30-2011, 9:53 PM
Cool "stuff". I really like the burls.