PDA

View Full Version : Is this plane any good? (Dunlap)

Wayne Hendrix
01-30-2011, 9:17 PM
I just picked up a nice Stanley 60 1/2 and the person I bought it from also had a Dunlap plane that I didnt know anything about. They let me take some pictures so I thought I would post up and see if anyone knows anything about it.

What is it, is it any good, and is it worth me going back and buying it?

george wilson
01-30-2011, 9:35 PM
Dunlap was a second rate Sears tool brand. It was more of an entry level brand. The plane has no adjustment for the iron,so it must be adjusted like a wooden plane by tapping on the rear end of the blade. The iron is probably of inferior steel of lower carbon content,and you probably could file it fairly easily. I would pass it up unless you have a better blade that would fit it,and don't mind the elementary way of adjusting the cut. I don't mind adjusting that way myself,as I used wooden planes for many years exclusively. It's the cheap iron I'd be concerned about.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I too would pass this one up. Some for the same reasons as George, others on my own.

If it was a dollar or two, I might be tempted.

One thing I noticed is there isn't a small raised place at the back of the plane. I have a metal plane that adjusts the same as this one and it has a small hump there to facilitate drawing the blade back if it is making too deep a cut.

Save your money and pick up a nice #102 for a standard angle block plane that adjusts this way or a #9-1/2 or #220 depending on what kind of adjuster you prefer.

Search Google for > patrick's blood & gore < for a lot more information on the Stanley planes.

jtk

Greg Wease
01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Skip it. I believe this Dunlap was made by Sargent although some were made in Germany as well. Definitely second rate as George says.

You have a nice adjustable low angle plane in the 60 1/2. If you want a higher angle, you can invest in a second blade and sharpen at ~35 degrees until a good deal on a higher angle block plane comes along.

Wayne Hendrix
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I figured but I really know very little about planes so I always like to double check.