PDA

View Full Version : New to Me Stanley 60 1/2

Wayne Hendrix
01-30-2011, 9:11 PM
I picked this up from the local classifieds for $40:

I was hoping for the older black version but this one is in such good condition that I couldn't pass it up.

The only rust is on the back corner where you can see in this picture:

Besides sharpening the blade what do I need to do to in order to make this work nice?

Joel Goodman
01-30-2011, 9:37 PM
Check the sole for flatness -- flatten if needed. If you're unhappy with the performance look up the recent thread about using JB weld to enlarge the bed. These later Stanleys don't have the blade support of the early ones. I haven't done the JB weld trick but plan to on a late model 9 1/2.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Wayne, that looks like a good little plane.

I have a couple with the short bed and have not tried to increase it at all. Both of them work pretty well. Yes, my LN 60-1/2 is a bit more solid feeling, but I am not sure the addition would make a big difference for the work involved. If my mind was made up to do such, my first thoughts would be to keep any of the JB Weld from getting on the original bedding ramp. Then I would likely want to use some plastic wrap over the top of the JB Weld and install the blade to shape it. YMMV

A little work to get rid of the rust might be all you really need.

Here is a post that may help to get it into shape and address any problems you may have:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401

jtk

Wayne Hendrix
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. I dont currently have a block plane and so I thought this one would be a good starter, especially with how clean it is. If for some reason this one is not fulfilling my needs in the future I will buy an LN or LV.

Terry Beadle
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Before I'd buy a LN or LV, I'd get one or Mr. Hock's blades in the one you have. Hone it up and it will not disappoint.

I have a LN 60 1/2 that I'll never part with. It's just a joy to use period.

If you buy a LN or LV ( either one will be a joy ), I'd keep the Stanley too ( especially if it's been setup with a Hock blade ). I've always found there are not enought planes to keep me happy and working. I use my old Stanley for small rough shaping situations, works great.