PDA

View Full Version : Blade guard recommendation

willis stose
01-30-2011, 9:08 PM
Want to add blade guard to my unisaw with unifence which is 10 yrs. old. What do you all recommend using? Thanks to all.

frank shic
01-30-2011, 9:27 PM
sharkguard

Ray Newman
01-30-2011, 9:28 PM
When I bought my Uni-saw ‘bout 24 years ago, I also purchased the Uni-fence and the Uni-guard.
An interstate move bent the Uni-guard arm and I replaced it with the newer Uni-guard, but kept the disappearing splitter from the older guard installed on the saw.

I like the split basket guard on the Uni-guard and after using it for this long, we have become “good friends”. It also possible to make non-through cuts and run the dado head and still use the Uni-guard.

From the Amazon.com Product Description:

"The DELTA 34-976 Deluxe Uniguard Table Saw Blade Guard fits DELTA 10-inch Unisaws and Contractor's Saws, and has an innovative, overhead design that doesn't have a mounting bracket behind the blade to interfere with dado cutting or molding operations. The operator remains protected for non-through cutting operations since the blade guard doesn't have to be removed. For through-cutting, the guard has a removable splitter with anti-kickback pawls that afford the operator additional safety. With a U-shaped support arm, you'll be able to cut the full capacity of the fence; you can also keep half the guard elevated for use of a push stick when cutting with the fence close to the blade. The Uniguard Table Saw Blade Guard comes includes the guard, splitter, table mounting bracket, support arm and extension."

Read all ‘bout it:
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-976-Deluxe-Uniguard-Table/dp/B0000223C8

Phil Rose
01-30-2011, 9:44 PM
+1 SharkGuard ... easy on, easy off, built in dust collection. Now I use the guard whenever possible instead of whenever convenient (which was never, really ;)

david brum
01-30-2011, 10:11 PM
+2 sharkguard.

eugene thomas
01-31-2011, 1:08 AM
if overarm guard is the way ya go. excaliber works great.... on and off with flip of lever.

Curt Harms
01-31-2011, 7:52 AM
This is sorta intriguing to me:
http://www.the****store.com/main.sc
I see that Bob now has blade guards with and without dust collection in addition to the 'riving knife'.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2011, 8:26 AM
I had an overarm guard on my General 650.

It was the Excalibur and I used it in conjunction with a Merlin removable splitter.

Since I used my saw for non through cuts, the only type of guard that would work is an overarm guard.

In addition it had very good dust collection.......Regards, Rod.

Eric DeSilva
01-31-2011, 9:53 AM
I installed the Bies T-Square guard and like it. Since my DC system was cyclone based, however, I didn't like throttling it down to 2" at the guard, so I also bought clear plastic guard from Lee Styron--the sharkguard guy--with a 4" DC port. System works well.

Matt Winterowd
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I tried the shark guard, was still irritated with taking it off and putting it back on for narrow rips and non-through cuts, bought a Bies overarm guard. I'm much happier now and consistently use my guard.

Will Rowland
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
If you want to put a Sharkguard on a Unisaw, you really need to purchase the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter also, which is quite pricey (~$125). You can purchase Sharkguard splitters which fit the Biesemeyer mount. The Sharkguard splitter can then be removed in seconds with the Biesemeyer splitter assembly installed.

scott spencer
01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
This is sorta intriguing to me:
http://www.the****store.com/main.sc
I see that Bob now has blade guards with and without dust collection in addition to the 'riving knife'.

I've got both on my Shop Fox W1677, and have been very happy with both. The blade guard is the least intrusive of any guard I've used.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BBG001.jpg

Van Huskey
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
if overarm guard is the way ya go. excaliber works great.... on and off with flip of lever.

+100! OAGs are THE way to go for both safety and dust control.

Russell Smallwood
02-01-2011, 7:50 AM
Grizzly Generic Overarm blade guard (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Universal-Overarm-Blade-Guard-For-Table-Saws/T10113)

I bought this when I bought my 690. Works pretty well, very pedestrian but that's actually a strength. The whole arm pivots so I can easily swing it out of the way when I need to and the mechanism that lifts the guard up and down is simple enough that its just as easy to leave the guard in place when using a cross cut sled as it is to swing it out of the way.

So far, it has done an excellent job of keeping things from flying at my face. As far as the dust collection goes.... still waiting on the funds for my G0440. My little seco 1hp is permanently stuck to my planer. :)

Callan Campbell
02-01-2011, 9:26 AM
I bought, and still love, the larger Brett-Guard model for my '05 Unisaw. It flips up out of the way if needed, which is rare. Adjusts up/down, across the table or retract towards the side table a fair amount. Also has 2 inch dust port in the top.
Cons, not cheap, and the anti-kickback pawls inside the clear guard are about useless. I use the Beisemeyer quick-release splitter with the guard, I have two different height splitters to compliment my saw blade height as needed.