PDA

View Full Version : Calling Jim Adkins...Calling Jim Adkins

Richard Madden
01-30-2011, 8:50 PM
OK Jim, You have received warm welcomes here, and had a chance to put your feet up and relax. Heck, you've been a member for what...a week or so? I can't wait to ask any longer, so how about some information on how you do your fantastic basket weave work? I would love to hear anything and everything you are willing to divulge. You know what Missouri is called...the Show-Me State, so please, show us.:)

Jim Adkins
01-30-2011, 9:41 PM
Richard....Thanks for the brag on my basket work, I've been impressed by the Sawmill Creek bunch and thankful at J. Keetons suggestion about joining & posting. A great group of turners.
I'm not sure just how to "explain" how I do the Basket Forms, It might be a rather long dissertation to really explain the various steps I do go thru. I will say this, I have no "secrets". Let me think on this a couple of days and see what i can come-up with. Any "Creekers" have any suggestions regarding how to go about this. I have done several demos & have taught classes but this is somewhat different. Thanks

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2011, 9:55 PM
Jim, I'd look forward to what the steps are too.

David E Keller
01-30-2011, 9:58 PM
I'd love to learn a little about the process as well. If you're up for a tutorial, I'm sure JK will help you navigate the forum for tutorials. You do beautiful work, and your willingness to teach/share is inspiring.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 11:27 PM
I would also love to learn your process. Your willingness to share will help a lot of us turners.

Jim Adkins
01-31-2011, 8:21 AM
Thanks to all for the requests. I need to talk to John K. to see if it might be possible to post a tutorial on the making of a form from start-to-finish in severial postings/steps with pics. Being a newby to the creek I need to know just how to do this without an overkill. I am open to suggestions from the moderators as how to achieve this. This is a very good site, good people, I want to do things correctly. Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
Jim A.

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 8:25 AM
Jim, I will give you a call this evening and we can discuss the best way of accomplishing this. I really appreciate your willingness to put this together!!

Jim Adkins
01-31-2011, 1:57 PM
OK Mr. Keeton, will await your call & I will have pencil & paper in hand to jot-down notes. Only problem with the notes is my ability to somehow "loose/misplace" them. Still think my LYB hides
stuff from me!!

Richard Madden
01-31-2011, 3:08 PM
Jim,
I hope you don't mind doing this, but I think there are a lot of us out here that would appreciate seeing and/or reading your process from start to finish. I have seen pictures of David Nittmann's beautiful work, but it wasn't until getting the Summer 2008 issue of Woodturning Design that I thought there was even a remote chance that basket weave patterns might be something within my abilities. In that issue, Douglas Mooney showed a little bit of the process. Since then, I have been trying to make beading tools (there is a thread here where Wally Dickerman showed some beaded work and I tried to pry some info on the tool used), an index wheel, and searching for the right burning tool. Still haven't decided on home made or store bought. The thing is, after seeing pictures of your work, it's obvious that you have taken the whole basket weave thing several notches up, so any information you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nate Davey
01-31-2011, 6:02 PM
I'm thinking an HD DVD would be the best way to document your spectacular work :D. Looking forward to seeing your process and insight.

Jim Burr
01-31-2011, 6:33 PM
I'm in...can't wait to learn more stuff!

Jim Adkins
01-31-2011, 9:41 PM
OK you guys....I get the message!! Mr. Keeton got me off to a good start tonight and hopefully in a few days/weeks I can get this thing completed. I will do a 12" dia. platter of hard maple, probably of a Pima design, am thinking of a 9 petal Squash Blossom pattern which might be sorta pretty?? we'll see. This is a new thing for me so be patient with the ole guy.
Thanks to all
Jim

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Jim and I have talked about him doing an article that would be "published" on the home page of SMC. If this works out, he will build the article in the Author's forum, and when complete, it will be converted to a completed tutorial. Since he is going from scratch here, it will take a little while - so, patience is the word for the day!!

Steve Mawson
01-31-2011, 10:44 PM
This is pretty neat, like waiting for a new toy!!:cool::D

Steve Vaughan
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks John. I needed that reminder for Patience, UGH! But, I will wait with excitement.

Ron Stadler
02-01-2011, 7:59 AM
This is pretty neat, like waiting for a new toy!!:cool::D

Lol, yep, I guess it kinda is. I too would like to see how you do that Jim.