PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Taste of Ambrosia!

John Keeton
01-30-2011, 7:26 PM
As discussed in a couple of other threads, my creative juices have been running pretty low after completing several turnings over the holiday season - sort of took it out of me. So, you all will have to let me know if this piece is getting me back on track!

4" x 12", the form and lid are Ambrosia maple, with Claro Walnut pedestal and finial. The finial tapers from .11" to .07", then the neck of the top embellishment is .05" It doesn't show well in the pics, but there is a small "shelf" on either side of the top embellishment, and also beneath the very top bead. This is something I would feel comfortable with trying in Blackwood, but I really didn't think I could make it happen in walnut.

The finish ended up being several coats of shellac, with one coat of WOP in the middle. I may end up with another coat or two of WOP at some point.

I realize the form is very different - another study of the ogee curves for me, as there are several of them in this turning. Let me know your thoughts!

James Combs
01-30-2011, 7:34 PM
A very nice piece with some obviously great detail, but, I don't think it "presents" as well as some of your previous ones. It is, however, a good start at breaking your "holiday" drought.

Tony De Masi
01-30-2011, 7:34 PM
Well that lack of creativity didn't last too long now did it John. I like this one very much but it's also something I wouldn't try myself. Don't have the patience for those finial things. Plus my hands shake too much for something that delicate.

Glad you're back on that horse.

Nate Davey
01-30-2011, 7:36 PM
That is beautiful John. Is it the Shellac that darkened the maple, regardless it's very warm. Also love the way the lid disappears in the ogee.

Jim Burr
01-30-2011, 7:36 PM
I kinda fond of the whole thing. When I stare at it...my eye goes to the base. Not good or bad, it just does. I'm going to take a stab at some Mike Smith wood...hard to go wrong there. I really like the way the way the lid fits 2/3's the way up. Nice come back John!!

Roger Chandler
01-30-2011, 7:40 PM
John,

That certainly has some WOW factor to it! Your replication of the foot on the pedestal on the body, or [visa versa] really makes for an interesting piece. The ambrosia maple is a beautiful specimen, and your finial is again real nice........

What do I know anyway, but just a thought.......if perfection could be reached.......on this the collar at the bottom of the finial could be about 1/16th smaller at its base, and the curve would flow uninterrupted from the lid of the body. I guess when we are turning things, we work on fit so much, that a small detail that would spell perfection escapes us.

I would think with the many hours it took to put all this together that a certain type of fatigue sets in, and makes us want to get it over and done with, at least that has been my experience on a few..........but I am usually pushed for time, or it is freezing cold in my shop.

As for the creative juices...........this one certainly is getting you back, I think.........I could envision many a variation on this general theme, with shapes of all sorts, and adjustments in design and technique...........

Exquisite work here, John.........I would give it an A+ ..........just lovely!

Lee Koepke
01-30-2011, 7:50 PM
If you had managed to keep the figure of the ambrosia continuous from the base to the lid, maybe it would work ... oh wait ... you did that! HA!!!!

I would venture to say that the details and beauty of the piece is much more evident in person. If you did have a creative block, working on something with many details seems to be an adequate therapy for you!

Tim Thiebaut
01-30-2011, 8:05 PM
I think what ever horse you think you might have fell off...you just got back up and kicked it in the...well you know I dont have to say it. WOW, to me this is just amazing....beautiful.

Rick Markham
01-30-2011, 8:07 PM
It's a bit different than your usual forms, I really like it, especially how it blends fluidly into the lid. I think you are definitely back on track John! Keep em coming, and keep having fun!

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2011, 8:08 PM
John, that's a really nice piece, well proportioned I think, and just an overall great form. Love the way the top is fitted to the body.

Fred Perreault
01-30-2011, 8:24 PM
John, I think that all of the colors are complimentary, and work well. It is a cutie pie

Michael James
01-30-2011, 8:30 PM
nice piece

dan carter
01-30-2011, 8:32 PM
Very nice John. I like the finial. Hard to beat Ambrosia Maple.

Harry Robinette
01-30-2011, 8:41 PM
Glad your back on track John,sometimes a little time away helps get your eyes back.keep up the good work.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2011, 8:41 PM
John - this is a very interesting and challenging piece to turn! Beautiful woods and I can see you took the extra time to match up the ambrosia markings between the body and the lid! I also like the very small tiered steps in the pedestal and their duplication in the lid - ties the design elements together between top and bottom of the piece. Plus the other matching elements between the pedestal and finial work quite well! Foot size, body size, finial length - all look really good! I would say that not only are you on course with your design - you never had a problem to begin with!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning! No pressure - but I bet it is going to be great!

Marc Himes
01-30-2011, 8:50 PM
Very nice piece, John. I agree with Steve and others, the base and the lid relate very well to each other. Your sense of design is superb.

Marc Himes

David DeCristoforo
01-30-2011, 8:50 PM
Well everyone has already commented on the excellent continuation of grain from body to lid. The pedestal and finial are "pure Keeton". I'm not one hundred percent with the transition between the lid and the base of the finial but what I do like is the "double ogee" created by the body and the lid. That is sweet! It is, as you say, a most unusual form but it is "different" without "trying to hard". All in all, a very fine effort.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-30-2011, 8:51 PM
A different dimension in the same genre, looking critical at it, I think the round curve on the pedestal embellishment is out step with the overall look of sharp edged contours, other than that I think it is a pleasing form :cool: :)

Richard Madden
01-30-2011, 8:56 PM
Looks good to me. Correction-- looks excellent!

David E Keller
01-30-2011, 9:49 PM
Lots of interesting details in this one, and all are well executed. Welcome back out of the funk!

David Warkentin
01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Looks good.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 11:19 PM
John didn't think the slump would last to long. Unique form but I do like it.

Baxter Smith
01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Love the shape of the form, lid, and the way they fit together! Great execution from top to bottom. Either the size of the base or all the detail, compete somewhat with the form for my attention. Since I have been dealing with some ambrosia maple for the last week and a half, I am curious about the color. Did the BLO significantly yellow the sapwood on this piece? The white sapwood in contrast with all the pinks, blacks, greens and greys was something I liked best on my roughouts. I suppose some of those colors are just fleeting.

Linda Persoon
01-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Way to go, John. Looks good from my view:-)

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 7:02 AM
Thanks, all!! I do agree this one is "different!" And, not a form that one sees often - actually, I don't recall ever seeing it! It is a simple form, but more difficult to achieve than I first thought.

It did give me the opportunity to use my new live chuck adapter. I was able to turn the inside of the lid, and then turn the outside profile to blend with the body of the form by having both pieces friction jammed together.

Baxter, this Ambrosia maple came from Mike Smith - some I have had for several months. I have done one other piece from this wood, and the color was very similar. As you can see, it is rather dark anyway, but the BLO does darken it some - and the shellac added some warmth, as well. Very different from the white/red contrast I have seen on some Ambrosia. For my tastes, I like these darker, warmer colors better.

In this pic, both pieces have been wet sanded with BLO, but you can see the original color in the waste areas.

Roland Martin
01-31-2011, 7:49 AM
I would say you've got the ogee thing down pat, John, among many other talents. Excellent fit and finish, balance and I really love the way the upper and lower ogees work together, very well done IMHO. Back in outstanding form!

Aaron Wingert
01-31-2011, 9:56 AM
John great job on this one. The finial looks like a whisper of air would snap the whole thing in half and cause the form to hit the ground...That adds to the intrigue of the piece for me. But this one is probably one of those pieces that is best kept behind glass so the maid doesn't kill it with her feather duster!

steven carter
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
John, very nice, unique form! Great job aligning the ambrosia markings, I like the way the lid hides in the ogee.

Alan Trout
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
John,

I love the finial and pedestal very well done. I personally think this is one of if not the best finial and pedestal that you have done. I like the main body of the piece, Not sure on the lid? I really like how well it is done but it may be the height of the lid may be to tall for my taste, To my eye it seems to detract in some way from the main body However it may grow on me. It is just not what you would typically see and that could be part of it as well. Again if you want to send it to me I would proudly display it in my home.

Alan

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
01-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I am amazed at how finite your tool technique has to be to turn the small details on the top of the finial. Lots of great curves and the proportions are exquisite. If I had to nitpick it would be the waist of the bowl. The sharp edge catches my eye. Maybe a slight negative edge just to break that pointed junction. Again hard to sit and judge when there are so many great features going on here.

Ron Stadler
01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice work as always John, this one has a different touch to it and the Ambrosia is really nice.

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 4:30 PM
Thanks for all the follow up comments! So interesting to get everyone's perspective on such a different form - lot of good comments, all of which are taken to heart!

Russell Eaton
01-31-2011, 5:33 PM
John it is another beauty, but I think that is what we have all come to expect from you.

Curt Fuller
01-31-2011, 7:49 PM
John, I'm late to respond to this. I echo everything that has been said about it. It's a beautiful piece in every way. But I wanted to throw out a question. I quit turning boxes from face grain wood for the simple reason that every one I've done has had just enough movement in the wood over time to ruin the fit of the lid. You've done several of these in the last year. Are you having any problems after time with the fit on the lids. I live in a relatively dry climate so I would think there wouldn't be much change. But looking at boxes I've done, everyone has become somewhat of an oval shape, just enough to loose that "perfect" fit. What's your experience and if you're not having trouble, what's your secret?

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 8:04 PM
Thanks, Russell!

Curt, most of the lidded forms I have done were face grain, but from very dry wood. On the first few I achieved a very precision fit - but, I ended up with them being a little tight over time. I started leaving just a smidge more room on them and they have done better. It doesn't take much - hardly visible, but you can feel just a slight bit of slack if you move the lid.

This piece is actually turned endgrain, and the %MC was about 14% - a little wetter than I like, but it has not moved at all. I suspect the engrain orientation has much to do with that. I would be uncomfortable doing a face grain lidded piece from 14% wood - much prefer 8-10%, which in my area is equilibrium for most of the year. Hope that answers the question.