PDA

View Full Version : Digimag DRO

Jonathan Spool
01-30-2011, 4:50 PM
Has anyone experience with the Digimag Digital Remote Readouts that Eagle sells?
Can you really get a good DRO for $29? I'm looking to install a DRO on my 221 Powermatic when it comes.

Bruce Page
01-30-2011, 5:58 PM
For $29 you can’t go too wrong. I installed a Digi-Router brand on my router lift and love it. My only complaint with mine and the Digimag for that matter, is they can’t design around a normal battery. They use some oddball battery that you can only find at Radio Shack or the like.

Alan Schaffter
01-31-2011, 1:04 AM
The new Wixey remote planer readout and new tilt box use standard AAA's for a 2 year life. He will be upgrading his other devices too!

Curt Harms
01-31-2011, 8:01 AM
Same thing a few bucks less:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/0-6-Digital-Fractional-Horizontal-Vertical-Remote-Scale/T21577

I don't know how shipping compares between Eagle America & Grizzly. I have the 12" version and it works really well. They do use the CR2032 batteries but mine uses 2 and they're not too hard to find. I haven't had my DRO long enough to gauge battery life. I have a digital caliper that uses a single SR44. The battery in it lasts over a year, probably quite a bit over but i don't keep track of when I replace it. I expect better quality/more expensive devices have better more efficient circuits. Using AAAs is a nice idea though.

Bruce Page
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
I bought a DC power supply of the right voltage/mA that I am going to hard wire in to the Digi-Router and ditch the battery altogether. It’s on my round toit list.

Bruce Page
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Or, you could get one of these like I mounted to my mill a few years ago:
Linear glass scale resolution accuracy to .000005, (not that the mill is capable of that accuracy)
It was a tad more tan $29..:)

Alan Schaffter
01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I bought a DC power supply of the right voltage/mA that I am going to hard wire in to the Digi-Router and ditch the battery altogether. It’s on my round toit list.

Make sure you use the supplied cord and don't wire it to the machine. If you wire it to the machine, it will lose calibration when you turn your machine off.

Alan Lightstone
01-31-2011, 7:56 PM
180720Thanks for the thread. I had a Wixey unit that's been sitting in a corner for about a year waiting for me to install it on my router. Kept forgetting to do it.

Saw your post and installed it yesterday, works great.

Jonathan Spool
01-31-2011, 9:24 PM
Alan,
Anything else you would like my help with? Glad to be of service!