PDA

View Full Version : First Turning - Brazialian Cherry

Keith E Byrd
01-30-2011, 4:45 PM
This is my first turning (that I could finish!). It is about 5 inches tall and 3 inches diameter.
I had a lot of tear outs that were painstaking to repair - what causes that?
Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 5:09 PM
That is a really nice looking lidded box. I would sign and date it to compare a few years down the road. As far as tear out you are going to have some. I have found most times it is tool sharpness. Also you can put some shellac, like walnut oil, or sanding sealer on the tear out then let dry. Go back with a sharp tool and most times it will take care of it. If not you can always use the 80 grit gouge as Bill Grumbine calls it.:D:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2011, 5:42 PM
Nice work - especially for a first turning!

Tear-out can be caused from any number of things but most times it is like Bernie said - dull tools. When first starting out - it usually is dull tools, tool presentation, speed or even direction of cut but we all know how frustrating it can be to repair!

Best advice is to get with your local turning club and have an experienced member show you the different ways to use your turning tools.

Have fun!

John Keeton
01-30-2011, 7:35 PM
Keith, I think you did a great job on this one. I have yet to do this type of box, so it is quite an accomplishment in my book! Also, I suspect the Jatoba is probably a little prone to tearout from what little I know of it. I have not turned any, but in flat work it can be difficult.

Terry Beadle
01-31-2011, 9:27 AM
Regarding the tear out issue with Brazilian Cherry, I recommend not using a hollow gouge unless you are good at shear cutting with it. I use a solid gouge freshly sharpened with a small burr to do the cutting. Very lite pressure with just the burr doing the work usually gives me a good smooth surface with no tear out ( so far ! ). Brazilian cherry does have a mind of it's own so using straight grained stock is helpful ( ...not always easy to get though ).

bob svoboda
01-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Very nice work, especially for a first. You've had some good advice re tearout and I agree to first look at you tool sharpness, especially doing your final cuts.

Jon Nuckles
01-31-2011, 1:57 PM
Impressive first effort!

I agree with the comments on jatoba. I've done flat work in it and turned some of the offcuts just for fun. It doesn't plane well and requires sharp blades. Turning it is similar -- it wants to tear out and it dulls your tools quickly. Make sure you resharpen before your finishing cuts.

Ron Stadler
01-31-2011, 10:42 PM
That a real nice first turning for sure, wow, can't wait to see what you come up with down the road.

Baxter Smith
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Very nice job on your first! Not an easy one to do!

Keith E Byrd
02-01-2011, 7:23 AM
Gentlemen - thank you for your comments and advise! Sharpening tools is something I forget to do - I get busy working on the piece and forget to sharpen - think I will hang a sign over my lathe!