PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield price ALERT!

John Miliunas
01-14-2005, 1:05 PM
Yeah, this maybe should go in the Woodturning forum, but ALL of us should be concerned about filtering fine dust from our lungs. I think I'll be using it when freehand routing, among other things.:)

Anyhow, one of my favorite "When they have a *Special Sale* really means *SPECIAL*" stores, has the Trend Airshield currently on sale for $219.0 + s/h.!!!:) I've had my eye on one of these for a long time, and had kept hope that I may find it at a good price at the next WW show. From what I've heard, even the WW shows don't have as good a price! S/H for me was only $7.91. I also ordered the extra 4-hr. battery and my total came in at just $259.00 and change!:D Heckuva' deal, folks!:)

NO! I am NOT affiliated with AP Tools (All Pro Tools) in any way, shape or form! Just get great tools at great prices from them!:) :cool:

Jack Hogoboom
01-14-2005, 1:48 PM
Dang,

That is a GREAT price. Anyone who doesn't own one should get one. I love mine.

Jack

Jim Becker
01-14-2005, 1:51 PM
Thanks, John. Klingspoor had this price at the AAW Symposium, but I didn't bite then. I'll give APT another chance and order. (Shipping to here is only $5.98... :D )

Michael Perata
01-14-2005, 2:24 PM
John

I was looking to purchase one of those. Would you please give the url for contacting AP Tool.

John Miliunas
01-14-2005, 2:56 PM
Mike, I PM'd you....:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
01-14-2005, 3:14 PM
John I would also like to be included in this deal. Has to be better than a red bandana wrapped around the face... :o :p :)

Aaron Heck
01-14-2005, 5:05 PM
I'd also like to know the link to the store

John

I was looking to purchase one of those. Would you please give the url for contacting AP Tool.

Dick Parr
01-14-2005, 5:11 PM
You guys are going to love it. I wish I had gotten mine before I got the asthma instead of after. :o Along with the extra battery, get a pack of the pre-filters. If you vacuum the front of your shield off after each use the filters will last a long time. I keep an extra battery charged at all times, when one runs out I switch and put the used up one on the charger and am ready to turn or sand again. :D

Dan Stuewe
01-14-2005, 5:37 PM
One thing that concerns me is what is the filtering capability of this (or any other shield like this)? The best I could find is ...

"Eye protection to ANZI Z87.1 (low energy impact). Respiratory protection (NPF20) to EN 146 THP2"

Which means nothing to me.

I think I know what I'm getting when I use my half mask with cartridges. And we've been trained in the micron language for our dust collectors. But what about these? Masks like the Dust-Be-Gone (3 microns) look and sound great, but they don't offer nearly the filtration that we've been told our dust collectors should have (0.5 microns).

Since I remove the hair from my face on a daily basis, I'm happy with my half mask, but I like the idea of the face shield in a comfortable set up.

John Miliunas
01-14-2005, 5:53 PM
One thing that concerns me is what is the filtering capability of this (or any other shield like this)? The best I could find is ...

"Eye protection to ANZI Z87.1 (low energy impact). Respiratory protection (NPF20) to EN 146 THP2"

Which means nothing to me.

I think I know what I'm getting when I use my half mask with cartridges. And we've been trained in the micron language for our dust collectors. But what about these? Masks like the Dust-Be-Gone (3 microns) look and sound great, but they don't offer nearly the filtration that we've been told our dust collectors should have (0.5 microns).

Since I remove the hair from my face on a daily basis, I'm happy with my half mask, but I like the idea of the face shield in a comfortable set up.
Dan, I too have a great 3M half mask, which is fabulous for stuff like spray painting. My problem with those is, they tend to fog up my safety glasses something fierce. Even the light "nuisance" masks (hospital type) still do a number on my safety glasses. With something like a full face shield, I can still wear my bi-focal safety glasses, the shield and still get dust filtering. The Trend probably isn't up to the same level as the 3M full-face unit, but it's got to be much better than going without or not being able to see properly through fogged up glasses. Guess I'll be finding out, huh?:) :cool:

mark doud
01-14-2005, 7:46 PM
http://www.allprotools.com/store/page222.html

Rob Blaustein
01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
You might check these Moldex dust masks out:
http://store.yahoo.com/qcsupply/390003.html
I bought them after seeing a quick blurb in FWW mag several months ago. I like them--the exhaust valve does a nice job of preventing fogging, and they're fairly comfortable. Reasonably priced too, and you can re-use them a lot. I think the NIOSH approval means they filter to below a micron, but I can't recall the exact spec. Not quite the Trend setup, but worth a look.

Ken Salisbury
01-15-2005, 7:31 AM
All I can say is I have had mine for quite some time and "love it". I use it anytime I am doing high dust operations in the shop. I consider it money well spent. Buy a second battery which is what I did.

Mike Cutler
01-15-2005, 8:17 AM
John. I believe that the Trend would have a higher efficiency rating than the 3M half Mask. The 3M half mask is a negative pressure respirator with a particulate efficiency rating of 50. The Trend shield is a positive pressure, air purifying respirator. I have worn both in some pretty extreme enviorments and like the Trend better. As a side note, we use the original 3M model and the Trend at work in contaminated areas, where the risk of airborn particles(potentially radioactive) is high and have had great success with the battery powered air purifying face masks for use in this application. I've never used one in the shop however, but would have absolutely no hesitations in recommending one. My .02 fwiw.

John Miliunas
01-15-2005, 9:20 AM
John. I believe that the Trend would have a higher efficiency rating than the 3M half Mask. The 3M half mask is a negative pressure respirator with a particulate efficiency rating of 50. The Trend shield is a positive pressure, air purifying respirator. I have worn both in some pretty extreme enviorments and like the Trend better. As a side note, we use the original 3M model and the Trend at work in contaminated areas, where the risk of airborn particles(potentially radioactive) is high and have had great success with the battery powered air purifying face masks for use in this application. I've never used one in the shop however, but would have absolutely no hesitations in recommending one. My .02 fwiw.
Hey, thanks for the additional info, Mike! Wow. I think a good deal just got "better"! I originally started looking at one following a great write-up from our own Ken Salisbury and further positive comments from Dick Parr. :) Your "real-life" testimonial kinda' makes the deal sweater yet! :D :cool:

Gary Herrmann
01-15-2005, 10:50 AM
to use as a solution until I figure out my DC setup. It seems like it should be better than my throwaway at filtering dust, but will it work with fine dust? It says so on the APT site, but was just wondering if anyone knew about the particle size (microns).

I know its not a substitute for DC, but I'd like to protect my lungs more than I have up until now.

John Miliunas
01-15-2005, 11:06 AM
to use as a solution until I figure out my DC setup. It seems like it should be better than my throwaway at filtering dust, but will it work with fine dust? It says so on the APT site, but was just wondering if anyone knew about the particle size (microns).

I know its not a substitute for DC, but I'd like to protect my lungs more than I have up until now.
Hey Gary, I've not found exactly what particulate size it goes down to. I do recall FWW doing a report/comparison with another similar unit and the Trend got some very positive feedback. As you say, it's GOT to be better than what I'm using now!:) :cool:

Tom Mullane
01-15-2005, 5:46 PM
Just ordered one.. thanks for the info...

John Miliunas
01-15-2005, 5:52 PM
Just ordered one.. thanks for the info...
Sure thing Tom! BTW, regarding your signature line: I resemble that remark!:eek: :D :cool:

Mike Stanton
01-17-2005, 3:17 PM
:confused: How long do it take to charge the battery.? How much does it filter to? I am thinking of getting one to use. Mike :D

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 3:36 PM
:confused: How long do it take to charge the battery.? How much does it filter to? I am thinking of getting one to use. Mike :D
Mike, I don't have mine yet, so a couple questions you have here might be better answered by folks like Dick Parr or Ken Salisbury, as both of them already have one and have had first-hand experience with their units. Here is a link to the OEM site, which does give a bit more detail than the All Pro Tools page:
http://www.trend-usa.com/airshield.html

My own decision to purchase was largely based on comments by Dick and Ken, as well as other positive "reports" on the unit. I don't represent Trend nor APT, so my technical input would be limited, at best.:cool:

Jim Ketron
01-17-2005, 4:02 PM
Orderd mine sat night thanks John!
EDIT:
Crap:mad: its on back order!! they said should be in by next week so hopefully it will be here in the next week or so!:(

Jim