PDA

View Full Version : My version of a Handwheel for a Nova DVR XP.

Alan Trout
01-30-2011, 1:24 PM
I finally finished up my handwheel for my Nova DVR XP yesterday. I finished the main handwheel several months ago. It is two pieces black Corian laminated together with the adhesive that is used in the fabrication of solid surface counters. I then turned it on my DVR. I had a bunch left over Corian when I fabricated my own countertops so I figured leftovers of already paid for materials are better than spending on new material.

I had been using the wheel just attached by two brass wood screws (not safe way to use) to see if I liked it and I would make the outer hub when I could get by my buddies fab shop to use his lathe, mill, and tig welder. I had been making some different boring bars at his shop for my hollowing system so I decided to finish this yesterday. It took a lot longer than I thought. it took about 5 hours after all was said and done.

I know there is a commercially made unit but I have one problem with it. Other than that is is a very nice unit. The problem with the commercially available unit IMHO is it eliminates the ability to use the knockout bar to hold the hand wheel. This is important to hold the spindle to remove tight chucks or faceplates. The manual says the index pin is only for light duty use such as use as an index pin and not to use it as a "True spindle lock" as damage to the lathe can happen. Where the pin in the lathe locks it also serves as the fan for the stator windings and is made out of cast aluminum. I am not willing to risk damaging my lathe so I made my handwheel the way I thought it should be made.

The wheel has a 1.250" wide bushing that I welded into the outer hub and then machined concentric to the wheel so when I make a vacuum adapter I will have plenty of register area to hold the adapter. Please excuse the less than stellar weld. I get a lot lesser practice then I did 15 years ago but it will hold for what it needs to do.

Overall I am happy the way it has turned out. It made installing chuck and faceplates a breeze and a nice way to slow down the spindle when shut off. It is also very comfortable on the hands.

I hope the Nova owner like my idea and the final results.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2011, 1:47 PM
Alan, that's a nice job for the handle, I really like it. I'm using the stock wheel that came with my dvr, but I really like your addition here. Gonna have to consider making me some version of this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bill Bolen
01-30-2011, 2:13 PM
And a fine job you did too! Mine is very similar but I used cherry (like that slick feel) and keeping that hole open for the bar was a major consideration for me also...Bill..

George Guadiane
01-30-2011, 2:19 PM
A thing of beauty, and practical!

Michael Mills
01-30-2011, 2:37 PM
Alan, that is very slick looking. It really goes with DVR nice.

After all your work I don’t want to burst your gloat any but Teknatool does make similar handwheel. It may appeal to others without you access to tooling and the expertise to make it. I did not see it on their web site but this is the one I received from Tim G. when he was the US rep.
http://www.carbatec.com.au/teknatool-lathe-handwheel_c20541
I have the 1624 and the way the motor tilts to change speeds I could only add one inch maximum to the diameter, so I never added to it. I assume with the DVR you could add a larger diameter face.

Alan Trout
01-30-2011, 2:42 PM
Michael,

I used the stock Nova handwheel. From the Corian out is the part that I made.

And thanks to everyone for the compliments.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 5:12 PM
Alan that looks great and does the job. I like the addition of the corian.

Tim Thiebaut
01-30-2011, 6:26 PM
Very nicely done, that looks great!

Michael Mills
01-30-2011, 8:02 PM
My apologies Alan, I guess I misunderstood again, at the Teknatool web site it does not show the holes for the knock out bar.
The modification look great…wish I could do it to mine,
Oh, I do have a stick and a wire welder and your welds are much cleaner than any of mine.

Salvatore Buscemi
01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Great idea using corian. I've got to make a handwheel for my lathe soon, I might copy your idea.

Sal

Matt Owen
01-31-2011, 2:59 PM
Very cool, Alan! I have been holding off on the commercially available unit as well for the exact same reason: can't use the knock-out rod to lock the spindle.

I'm still a little confused as to how you will use it with a vacuum adapter. How far does the bushing extend into the original Nova handwheel, and will your adapter just be seated in the bushing, or will it extend into the spindle and be sealed there?

Again, awesome handwheel!

Matt

Alan Trout
01-31-2011, 4:38 PM
Matt,

When I get around to the vacuum adapter there are a couple of different ways to do it. My plan is to machine the front of the adapter to fit the hole in the handwheel where it will have two o-rings that will seal the adapter. There were be a couple of o-rings further up the adapter where they will come in contact with the bushing area of the hand wheel. This is not to seal but the adapter will be a few thousandths smaller at this area so it slides in easy but the o-rings will keep it centered. Kind of hard to explain but I have it worked out in my head. The thing is I am so dang use to using a friction or jamb chuck that I am lazy about making it.

Alan