PDA

View Full Version : Tables on 12" Jet Jointer/Planer

Kent Chasson
01-30-2011, 1:04 PM
I finally got my JJP-12 up and running. The second tool in a month to come with a bad motor. I knew about the ribbed table and was not thrilled but was not expecting it to be quite so bad. Even the tops of the ribs have tool marks and this anti-friction feature has the opposite effect.

I am considering going over it with a surface plate and some fine grinding compound. Anyone done this with success? Any other ideas for a smoother ride?

By the way, it is otherwise a well designed machine and works fine so far. It was pretty easy to get the tables co-planer (no adjustment needed on the fixed side).

Matt Meiser
01-30-2011, 2:55 PM
Mine was leaving marks until I got the grease off. Just kept going over it with alcohol and clean rags.

Bas Pluim
01-30-2011, 3:18 PM
My tables didn't have tool marks like you described. It was tough getting all the grease out of all the ridges, but once that was done, a little paste wax and I was in business. I'm not sure the ridges really are "anti-friction" though. As for making the surface smoother - what if you took a 12" wide piece of MDF, applied a thin layer of cork (get at the hobby store), and then stuck on some 320 grit sandpaper. Sand until smooth. A little WD-40 as a lubricant might help too.

Sam Babbage
01-30-2011, 3:29 PM
When I got mine I think I hit the whole tables with fine scotchbrite and kerosene (mostly to clean the grease off) then carefully went over the tables with a diamond stone to remove any tiny burrs between the peaks and valleys. They're pretty smooth now.