PDA

View Full Version : Festool sanders

Craig D Peltier
01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
If I were to buy one which one should I get for sanding boards and face frames for cabinets, doors , flat trims etc.

Should I buy rotex or orbital for the application of sanding attached face frames?

I use an wide belt sander (15") for all pieces before there applied.

I see the orbital is rectangular shaped pad and the rotex round. I have used the 5" rotex once and it ate wood for lunch.

Jim Becker
01-30-2011, 2:18 PM
The 150/3 is my go-to sander 95% of the time. The Rotex is a very useful tool, but I find it difficult to use with one-hand due to its bulk and reserve it for operations when it's features are of benefit. The 150/5 offers a slightly more agressive orbit (identical to the Rotex). I have not been unhappy with the action of the 150/3 in this respect, however.

Jay Brewer
01-30-2011, 5:40 PM
I agree with Jim 100%. The ETS 150/3 is one of the best sanders out there. Smooth as silk and the dust collection is second to none. I do still use the ETS 125 for smaller things like face frames. The smaller pad makes it less tippy on thin peices.

I know alot of people that love the Rotex, but I didnt find it very usefull, especially for cabinetmaking. Like you everything I build goes through my widebelt sander, so I had no need for a sander that aggresive, and I also thought it was a little awkward to use.

Hope this helps

Alan Lightstone
01-30-2011, 6:45 PM
I totally agree with Jim. I have both the ETS 150/3 and the Rotex. I definitely use the 150/3 95% of the time also. Only when I seriously need to hog out material do I use the Rotex. It's just a beast.

Jim Eller
01-30-2011, 6:50 PM
I have the 125 and I don't touch another sander now. It's five inch and really fits my needs.

Also, it's the only orbital sander I've ever had that put dust in the bag.

William Nimmo
01-30-2011, 7:35 PM
Festool sanders are like potato chips. You cant have just one. The RS2E was used so much on the last project. Awesome. The best for flattening table tops after glue up. The ETS 150-3 is used every project. The rotex is great when you need it. The little rts 400 is also great for face frames and other tight spots. Now I am waiting for the ls130 that will round out the mix.
I used to hate sanding. Now it is a pleasure.

Peter Quinn
01-30-2011, 8:14 PM
iME you want a 5" sander for FF and cabinet door frames. I find a 6" both bulky and tipsy for that, and on doors you risk running the edge of the sander into the panel when sanding assemled doors. Most FF are 2-3 1/2" so with a 5" you have almost 50% or more of the sanders pad on wood, but with a 6" better than 50% of the pad is OFF the wood which can lead to rounded edges and tipping problems. And for me less weight is almost always better with power tools.

I have the 125 and the 150/3 and 75% of the time I'm using the 125, but for cabinet work it's the 125 for everything except panels. These get machine sanded before shaping then orbital before finish, and I prefer the larger sander there. I checked out the rotex and saw little use for a tool that large or aggressive for flat work. Perhaps to grind out chair seats or do sculptural things? If my FF required that much leveling frankly I'd start over or quit. I do use my 150 a lot for passage and entry doors where the frame members are 4-6" or wider, and it's quite useful.

Mark A Johnson
01-30-2011, 8:48 PM
My first 5" sander was a r/o Porter Cable. Having severe nerve damage I couldn't use it very long without my shoulder and neck musles revolting. So I replaced it with the 150/3 and their small vacuum unit. The combo works great, with almost no airborne dust. Having a 9 hole pad the vacuum pressure helps hold the sander flat. I also purchase all Festool sanding disks.

Bill Dempsey
01-30-2011, 8:55 PM
I'd give Bob Marino a call, he'll steer you straight for your situation. When I had same question, he pointed me at the 150/5 if this was to be only one and 150/3 if a rotex might be in the future. I certainly agree with the others, my 150/3 is go to all the time. I do use the rotex as well, but usually only when the going gets tough, like end grain cutting boards, recently.

Rick Fisher
01-30-2011, 9:22 PM
I have the 150/3 and 150/5 .. I prefer the 5 because its more aggressive. Having said that, nothing bad to say about the 3.

Brian Kincaid
01-31-2011, 9:55 AM
I have the 150/3 and 150/5 .. I prefer the 5 because its more aggressive. Having said that, nothing bad to say about the 3.

I have a Bosch belt sander and a 150/5. The 150/5 is a great finish sander (no swirls) in my opinion. I hear a lot of great things about the /3 but I have not tried one. If the /5 is fine wouldn't the /3 just take longer?
-Brian

Craig D Peltier
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the great help. I think I may start with the 125 and go from there, to maybe the 150/5. Just watched the video on the new Rotex 90, that thing looks pretty cool. Also very pricey for such a small sander.I will call Bob today.
Thanks

Craig D Peltier
01-31-2011, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I ordered a Midi DC an a 125 sander to start. Im sure I will have many more to feed my buying addiction by end of year.