PDA

View Full Version : Mini-gloat.

John Miliunas
04-12-2003, 10:03 PM
I've been know to wander over to the other part of my basement and take a piece of wood for a spin, every now and again. It's not as often as I'd like, hence my skills aren't exactly what you would call "honed". I've always like the look of beads on certain pieces, but have often had to "re-design" the piece, because I'd get a catch or something. Been looking at the Sorby beading tools. Talked to a few folks who really like them. "Real time-savers.", they tell me. OK, on to the "gloat".

Whenever I stop into my local Woodcraft for whatever, I always check out their "closeout table". About a week ago, I saw a set of the Sorby beading chisels (three sets, actually) on the table. I had forgotten how much they were, but I didn't have any extra $$ then, anyway. I had to go to work for a bit today and, having checked out my "tool cash stash", thought I might have enough for the set, or at least, one or two chisels. Called over there and spoke to one of the guys I know. He checked for me and said they were still there for $83.00-something. I asked him to hold them for me & I'd pick them up on the way home. Got there and, when he got done taking care of a customer, went in back and got the set. He said, "Yeah, I went through all three boxes and picked out the nicest ones. I adjusted the price a bit more, too." Sure did; $75.00 for the set!!! :D So, for what @ three of them would've cost me, I got the whole set of five! I'll let you know how they work once I get them honed and dig into some spinning wood. :cool:

Keith Outten
04-12-2003, 10:21 PM
John,

Sounds to me like you have a friend in the right place, it makes perfect sense to get to know people that you intend to deal with frequently.

I have seen a couple of turners at shows use beading chisels and they used a burning trick between the beads, it made a dark burned line and it was a very nice effect. I guess you have heard of this...since I'm not a turner I'm not in the know. I do own an old Craftsman wood lathe for those rare times when I have to make something round. On the other hand I have an old South Bend metal lathe thats used more often for making jigs, fixtures and tool repair.

John Miliunas
04-12-2003, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keith Outten
[B]John,

Sounds to me like you have a friend in the right place, it makes perfect sense to get to know people that you intend to deal with frequently.

Got that right, Keith! These are the same guys who "saved" their "demo" Excalibur overarm blade guard for me. It used to be in their classroom shop, but nobody ever used it (dummies!). Anyhow, when they swapped in a different TS, they took it off and let me know, because they knew I was interested in one, but just couldn't afford it. They sold it to me for $175.00!:D :D Not a scratch on it and I think they lost track of the nuts/bolts for it, because they handed me enough of those to assemble about three of these things!:D They've bee good to me and the new manager doesn't believe in letting stock get stale. If it's not moving, close it out and replace it with something that is. I've gotten some hellatious deals on some smaller stuff due to this business practice. We both profit from it!:cool: