PDA

View Full Version : Turning tools

Dave Lehnert
01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I hangout here on SMC but not too often in the turners forum.

I own a Shopsmith and have used a set of Great Neck turning tools for the last 20 years. I only turn when a project comes up like a table leg etc... Maybe once a year.
I want to start slowly upgrading my tools. My guess this question is going to be a Chevy vs Ford debate but what brand tools would you consider middle of the road. Price vs quality?
I do own one roughing gauge by Henry Tailor and seems to be good. I do like longer handles on my tools.

David E Keller
01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
There are severall good tool makers. For my money, I like Doug Thompson's tools. You make your own handles, so you're not paying for handles. He does have nice handles that you can purchase if you're not interested in making your own. Henry Taylor, Sorby, and others all make nice tools as well, but I like Doug's better than those. For less expensive tools, the Benjamin's best line from PSI seems to be popular.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Ditto what David said. I love my Doug Thompson tools. I started out with Penn State Industries Benjamin Best line because of price and they are pretty fair tools to start with especially when learning to sharpen. I didn't want to spend a lot to grind away learning.

Tim Thiebaut
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
I bought the Penn State set..."Benjamines Best" 6 Piece chisel set and have more then happy with it, good quality for the price and holds an edge very well, and for a good basic set you cant beat the price at around $80 for the set.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
A fairly good brand of tools is Robert Larson tools. Their turning tools are made in Sheffield, England.....and the handles are applied here in the USA. I lucked out and found a small hardware store 30 miles away that stocks them. They are reasonably priced. I had a few given to me by a former Creeker and then bought some when emergencies arose. The next closest source for me is Spokane, WA which is 110 miles away.

Reed Gray
01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
The thing about the Thompson tools is that you get very high quality steel for about what you would pay for other brand name tools. The only down side is that you have to make your own handles. I actually consider that to be a plus as none of the commercially made handles are to my liking.

robo hippy

Jim Burr
01-30-2011, 1:13 PM
+20 for Thompsons. I have Randy Privett from Monster fame make my handles.

Curt Fuller
01-30-2011, 3:13 PM
I'm another that likes the Thompson tools and I like to make my own handles to suit me.

Ken Garlock
01-30-2011, 3:53 PM
Hi Dave. If I were you, I would get an Alan Lacer skew. His diamond sharpening stones are nice also. Alan is a nice gentleman with which to deal.

Some spare day, jump on I71 and whiz up to suburban Cleveland and visit with Mr. Thompson. The last time I drove I71, a few years back, it was good for 75 to 80 cruising.

Dave Lehnert
01-30-2011, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

I see this bowl set from PSI offered on Amazon. I have never turned a bowl before but like to try.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCBT4-Turning-Chisel/dp/B000KIECOM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1AVNHNO0PSR8E&colid=2AE9N24W75752

I only ask if this is a set of useful tools because I have a Amazon gift card I been sitting on.

John Fabre
01-30-2011, 8:32 PM
I just seen these Economy Turning Tools from Lee valley, don't know nothing about them.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,330&p=56745