PDA

View Full Version : Just not sure what or how to made pony drawer.

Bill Huber
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a project that is coming up and I am not sure how to make the phony drawers. I have to match a cabinet that is already in their room and it has doors and drawers that are all panel type doors and drawers

It will look something like the images below, the big difference is the 3 drawers. The main wood will be 3/4" oak plywood with oak banding and skirt. The original had drawers on the bottom row.

The one I am making will have 3 look like drawers on the top. It will not be drawers, it will be a fold out door with all the area behind the door open, here comes the problem. I want them to look like drawers but they won't be drawers.

So should I make 3 drawer fronts and then connect them all together with a strip of oak between each of them? The back of the door does not need to be flat, it will not be used to write on or anything like that.

Mill some oak down to 1/2" to make the phony rails and stiles. then mount them to some 1/2" oak plywood.

Just not sure what to do......

180473 180474

Neil Bosdet
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
You could one piece of oak the size of the opening (drawers and stiles between) and with a v point router bit, rout a groove separating/defining drawers and stiles. Only issue would be the stiles would have horizontal grain. If this is unacceptable you could dado the stile space and tape the stile section as per your suggestion above.

George Bregar
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Like neil said except just cut a kerf versus a v groove. Sure the grain in the stiles is wrong but no one will notice or care.

Neil Bosdet
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Like neil said except just cut a kerf versus a v groove. Sure the grain in the stiles is wrong but no one will notice or care.

I agree, no one will know or care but you. And you won't after a while either. ;)

Bill Huber
01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
The only problem is doing it with the grain running the wrong way, is I will notice it.

Billy McCarthy
01-31-2011, 3:11 PM
Why not cut a dado and glue in some solid strips?

Bill Huber
01-31-2011, 3:15 PM
Why not cut a dado and glue in some solid strips?

Now thats an idea, just use the same plywood that I am using on everything else and cut the dado just to fit the strips of oak.