PDA

View Full Version : The Vortex strikes again!!!!

Richard Kennedy UK
01-30-2011, 9:36 AM
No sooner do I join this Forum than I find myself with a new shopping list. I thought I was settled for a while but no! Where did articulated and captured hollowing systems come from???? You don't see this kind of thing in the UK much but log in over here and BOOM I am suckered!

I wonder If I could make one? I have no real metal work experience but it doesn't look too hard??? (famous last words!)

Like I say That darn Vortex there is no escape!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 9:38 AM
Richard,

There are 2 basic styles.....the articulated and the captured. Members here have made both. I'm sure they'll respond with photos.

Richard Kennedy UK
01-30-2011, 9:43 AM
Yes I have been looking back through some of the threads some ingenious designs! I don't know if I am capable to do it or if I should just start saving again. Any tips would be welcomed!

Richard Madden
01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Richard, I made mine with the help from Bill Bolen here at SMC. Here is a link where I showed some pictures; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?144794-Elbo-tool-or-homemade-equivalent&p=1473579&highlight=#post1473579 . I have been really happy with the tool. The only thing I have changed from the photos is the addition of a length of conduit to enclose the vertical piece of all-thread holding the laser. I was getting some vibration at the laser causing the beam to jump around. The conduit solved that issue. Making this thing was a bit of a challenge because of the lack of tools and knowledge for metalworking, but it all came together, and I'm happy with the results.

Richard Kennedy UK
01-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the link I hadn't found that one yet! It looks brilliant I may be asking for dimensions etc if I pluck up courage to have a go!

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Richard I have both styles which I bought. Just don't have the time to make tools. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If I had to have only one it would be the articulating unit. The captured unit will do bigger and deeper Hollow Forms.

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2011, 1:53 PM
Go ahead Richard, and give it a shot. You know you want too!:D All I can say is you're in it hook, line, and sinker. The gang here will have you doing all sorts of stuff, it's such a great place of inspiration and encouragement. Everytime I'm on here, I see a turning or technique I've just got to try...or something else I need to buy;)

You're there, my friend, you're there.

Dale Miner
01-30-2011, 2:05 PM
If you think the woodturning vortex is costly once drawn in, just wait 'till you start down the metalworking spiral. Lets see, at least a thousand square feet of shopspace, and about $100.00 per square foot budget for the machine tools that you will want to put in it. Oh yeah, you will need to get at least one really, really big trailer and a truck to pull it, and a forklift, and three phase electric or a phase converter, and etc. and etc. and etc.

From the wizzard of Oz "Turn back Dorothy".

Bill Bolen
01-30-2011, 2:06 PM
Sounds like you are going to end up DEEP in the vortex! And thanks to Mr. Madden for the nice compliment too. Richard you will be surprised how easy making the steel snake version of an articulating arm will be. All you really need is a hacksaw for cutting the 1" square stock and a drill press for getting a good alignment for all the holes you will drill. Google steel snake and you will finds links to svereral clever designs. If I can be of help just pm me...Bill..

Roland Martin
01-30-2011, 3:20 PM
Yes I have been looking back through some of the threads some ingenious designs! I don't know if I am capable to do it or if I should just start saving again. Any tips would be welcomed!

"RUN" is the only tip that comes to mind!!

Nate Davey
01-30-2011, 6:19 PM
"RUN" is the only tip that comes to mind!!

Come on Roland, you know you can't run. This is a great site for advice and ideas Richard. Have you seen the shop made steady rests yet? ;)

James Combs
01-30-2011, 8:10 PM
If you peruse the "Woodworking Articles and Reviews" and "Authors" you will find all kinds of DIY tools and accessories.
Welcome to the vortex.

Marc Himes
01-30-2011, 8:42 PM
Richard, I am still using hand held tools to make hollow forms but, I'm very close to getting both the articulated and captured systems. If your hollow forms are anything like your bowls, I can"t wait to see them. I visited your website and was very impressed with the elegance of your pieces. The carving is fantastic but the way you capture the basic forms was truly inspiring. You may end up with both types of hollowing systems so pick one and either make it or buy it. If you get a captured system and plan on turning pieces of any size make sure you have a large boring bar.

Have fun.

Marc Himes

George Morris
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Richard try a web sit ,i belive it is the bayou woodturner . he has directions also for making this. good luck! G

Richard Kennedy UK
01-31-2011, 4:58 AM
I saw a link to the bayou site and an article by captain eddie but sadly I couldn't get the link to work so I googled the bayuo site got to it but couldn't find the article I wondered if the website had been updated and the article removed! Thanks for the advice though.

I am (was and will be) experimenting with hollowforms and can do them freehand but the attraction of the systems is the ability to really control the thickness with the laser and reduce the chance of a bad catch. I will have to think about a heavier bar I was recently making one which was 12 inches deep got a lot of chatter and vibrations as I got to the bottom ended up putting my 5/8 bar inside a thicker on which really helped damp it down. I know the articulated system isn't to go so deep so I will have to look at the closed systems too

Oh dear ....... life is so tough :)