PDA

View Full Version : ragbrai

mike johnston
01-30-2011, 8:31 AM
Just wondering, does anyone here ride ragbrai? I'm on team Reddog, with riders from cali to florida and all points in between, even canada.

Thanks Mike

Kerry Adams
01-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Good Morning,

I rode ragbrai five- does that count?LOL I would assume teams have a better chance of getting a spot then individuals? Back then we were not fighting for spots.

Kerry

Larry Frank
01-30-2011, 8:37 PM
I doubt that there are many people who even know what it is -The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.

I have not done this but my brother has done it a couple of times with his kids and says it is a great event.

John Pratt
01-31-2011, 2:23 PM
I've ridden it 7 times over the years. It helps that I am originally from Iowa. It is quite an experience. The last time I rode was a few years ago while on leave from the Army. The Air force, Navy, and Marines always has a team/club that rides, but the Army guys always go as individuals, but still part of the U.S. Army Cycling Club.

Rick Potter
02-01-2011, 3:30 AM
Must be a nice ride. Iowa is a beautiful state.

Rick Potter

Ron Bontz
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I really didn't get to ride much last year. I was hoping to do the ragbrai some time. Just because really. No team or anything. I do the MS ride in Columbia Mo. when I can. With the exception of a few younger ones who think they are in the Tour De France, the people are always very friendly. As an older person my speed is not what it used to be but I still like to ride a little hard when I do. An extra 30 lbs tends to slow me down.:D These days I just enjoy the exercise and scenery. 50-100 mile rides are good for the soul, I think.

John Pratt
02-01-2011, 6:58 PM
I think that is one of the great things about RAGBRAI; the people you meet. 98% of the people are very friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around. Of course anytime you get 10,000 together there is going to be a few idiots, but they generally stay to themselves during the week. It is definitely a ride at any pace week. even the long rides of 100 miles can be easily done in the 16-18 hours of daylight you have. I think as a group is the way to go so you can provide your own SAG support during the week for bags and repairs. It can be troublesome finding your belongings in a see of other peoples duffel bags.