PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss....Again

Jerry Olexa
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Headline for article in Chicago tribune this AM says " Moss laughs off his penalty". He further states in article"Ain't nothin but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me?". He also suggested in his interview he might perform a more vulgar TD celebration next time?! (pause) This is the state of our professional sports today and its overpaid, pampered and powerful "athletes" . I trust The Eagles will take care of business Sunday afternoon..

Tim Morton
01-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Meanwhile the NFL and the TV staions sit back and sing..."money money money!!!" "ratings raings ratings!!"

I watched alot of the Red Sox 75 World series coverage this week on NESN, it was SO refreshing to sit and watch a game with a mellow announcer and not have the screen filled with graphics and text scrolling under the picture. We live in a socoety today where subtle is never enough. Bummer I say!!

go pats.

Michael Perata
01-14-2005, 1:31 PM
I have a high school friend who played with the Raiders back in the 60's and early 70's.

A couple of years ago he related to me how the Green Bay fans would line up outside the stadium and wait for the opposing team's buses to leave and these fans would moon, en masse, the buses as they drove by to the airport.

Randy Moss is a horses patoot, but he didn't doing anything those Green Bay fans weren't accustomed to doing to opposing teams.

Mark J Bachler
01-14-2005, 1:46 PM
I have a high school friend who played with the Raiders back in the 60's and early 70's.

A couple of years ago he related to me how the Green Bay fans would line up outside the stadium and wait for the opposing team's buses to leave and these fans would moon, en masse, the buses as they drove by to the airport.

Randy Moss is a horses patoot, but he didn't doing anything those Green Bay fans weren't accustomed to doing to opposing teams.

Your half right.

Keith Starosta
01-14-2005, 1:47 PM

I agree completely, Michael. While I agree that today's athletes are nothing but overgrown, money-grubbing babies, what Moss did should NOT be receiving the kind of attention it is getting. How about maybe focusing on....his ankle, and how THAT may effect his performance this weekend. Lighten up, people.

Keith

Donnie Raines
01-14-2005, 2:22 PM
I look forward to the inzone dance these guys do....I find it very entertaining. The mooning was a little off...but I think it has been over done. Play ball, hit hard and let it be fun...thats what it is all about.

Pete Lamberty
01-14-2005, 3:27 PM
I feel that the Moss incident is just another example of our societies slow degeneration toward immorality. It seems to be an insidious movement that can't be stopped. It can't be stopped because each event doesn't seem bad enough to speak out against. Most people are to busy to take a stand. Look closer to home for an example. Look at the way many of the teenage girls dress. I am thinking of the large gap between tops and bottoms. If you have a daughter, do you let her dress this way? Is it to hard to keep her from dressing this way so you don't even try? But then many wonder what is the matter with teenage boys when they only think of the girls as objects of desire. The girls didn't have anything to do with this did they? Or how about the popular TV show that depicts an adult having an on going sexual relationship with a minor. That slid under everyones radar. If I'm not mistaken it is against the law for this to happen in reality, at least in my state it is. But our liberal TV once again plants the seeds for further immoral practices in our society. I think, on the whole, our society has "lightened up" to much over the years. I can remember a time in the sixities when the Smothers Brothers couldn't say the word "breast" on TV, even though it was in a line from Shakespeare. What I am saying is that when I look at all of this in the short time frame I don't see much of a change. But when I look at the longer time frame then I see a big change. I wonder what the morals of our society would look like if we could instantly look ahead fifty years.
These are just a few of my honest thoughts on the subject. I have no children so I really couldn't care less where the morals of this country are going to go.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2005, 6:23 PM
Moss + Media = gets folks ire up.

Moss - Media = who cares

FWIW, I've never been a fan of endzone dances and all the extra celebration that goes on when a TD is made. Gee, act like you been there. But, let's face it, Football is there for entertainment purposes and if this is what people want, that is what they get. Regular TV is getting uglier and uglier...I guess to compete with cable: Dennis Franz butt, Janet's boob, and every year, they "add" one more piece of profanity....

Michael Perata
01-14-2005, 6:34 PM
Pete

I sort of prioritize my issues:

War
Poverty
Racism
Intolerance
Decline in Education
Decline in the Environment
PNAC
Homophobia
Intelligent Design Teaching Requirement
Lack of intelligent sophisticated mainstream TV programs
Naked breast(s) on TV
Profanity on TV
Randy Moss doing a psuedo "mooning"

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2005, 6:35 PM
Speaking of inappropriate language....PLEASE....let's keep this clean. This is still a public forum and is visited by men and women of all ages. I have edited a few posts here to clean up a word that was included in the post and the replies.

Once again, thank YOU for your cooperation.

Ted Calver
01-14-2005, 8:16 PM
What Michael said--but with a lot more dashes between war and everything else.

Chad Pater
01-14-2005, 8:50 PM
You anybody heard Paul Harvey Wed or Thur morning?
Speaking on the Moss Incident he said "the NFL wants to fine him and President Bush wants to make him ambassador to France!"

:p ;) :D

John Miliunas
01-14-2005, 9:04 PM

Michael, with all due respect, yeah, what Mark said. You're HALF right. I won't deny nor defend those fans. BUT, (no pun intended:D ) we don't have thousands of kids idolizing those fans. Those fans aren't being televised throughout the Country and World. Those fans do NOT get paid millions of dollars for their "performance". Fact is, WE, the fans, pay for HIS salary in one way or another. :mad: For my money, I like to see a player doing what I'm paying him to do. Somehow, I don't think his contract includes swearing and performing demeaning actions to *any* fans, whether they be GB, Eagle or any other team fans! That said, I know which team I'll be rooting for this weekend!:) :cool:

Andy Pedler
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Here's my problem with sports these days, and football is probably the worst offender.

I grew up watching all kinds of sports with my family, and growing up in the midwest, college and pro football were the biggest best sports to watch. That's part of me, and now that I have a 2 year old son I'm hoping that some day he and I can enjoy watcing Michigan beat USC in the Rose Bowl or the Detroit Lions win a Superbowl (okay, call me an optimist! :)).

But could I really encourage my son to watch a broadcast on Fox (or ABC, or whatever else?). These days the ads and promos are as much or more offensive than anything that happens on the field. Do I really want my son getting exposed to promos for the next Swimsuit reality show or SpouseTrading or Temptation Island? I've had this conversation with my Dad and we can't come up with a satisfying solution. The only solution that is offered by technology these days is to TiVo the game and skip the ads, but watching a game live is half the fun!

What's anyone else think? I know I'm not the only one here with young family members? What do you tell your youngsters when Fox airs their trashy promos? :confused:

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-15-2005, 1:08 AM
I've said it before...were I the commisioner, I assure you MY fine would get his attention. $10K might might 'not mean s#$t'...maybe $100K would've been better. His brushing off the first fine would've resulted in another one immediately. Quite frankly, I think there should be an absolute zero tolerance policy for this kind of thing...let them see what kinda money they can make on the street.

And don't EVEN get me started on the fantastic new drug policy in MLB. Everybody knows the rules...so why do they get four chances?! One positive and you're gone...period. Forever. Go get a job.

KC

Ken Salisbury
01-15-2005, 8:02 AM
Blame it on the coaches these players had starting with their first experiences with the game. Most of what we learn as "right from wrong" when we are young carries on to our later years. I coached football at various levels through High School for over 30 years and one of the things I despised most was the "hotdogging" and "unsportsmanship" like conduct exibited by players, and even some coaches for that matter. If any player of mine did so in a game he found himself playing what I called "left end" -- which was the far "left end" of the bench. No exceptions even for the so called superstars.

Teach-em while they are young.

Randy Moore
01-15-2005, 8:35 AM
:mad: I don't have any kids at home now, But I would say that if everyone would write to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and any other sports league and do some complaining it might get their attention. Tell them that we pay the salaries of everyone connected with that sport and that we will stop watching that sport unless they clean it up. If they write back (HA HA) saying they can't do anything about, fire a letter back saying they can. I am going to write and maybe call and do some serious complaining.

I am also going to write and call the FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION and do some complaining. I don't like whatIam seeing on TV nor do I like what I am hearing on the radio.One person can not do it by himself but if several HUNDRED THOUSAND do some writing and phone calling something might get down. If you call they can blow it off but if you write a letter and send it USPS it will be hard to ignore. Come on everyone lets take the air ways back for our kids so that we can listen or watch a program without having to worry about the next commercial or some IDIOT like Randy Moss.:(

Keith Starosta
01-15-2005, 9:29 AM
:mad: I don't have any kids at home now, But I would say that if everyone would write to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and any other sports league and do some complaining it might get their attention. Tell them that we pay the salaries of everyone connected with that sport and that we will stop watching that sport unless they clean it up. If they write back (HA HA) saying they can't do anything about, fire a letter back saying they can. I am going to write and maybe call and do some serious complaining.

I am also going to write and call the FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION and do some complaining. I don't like whatIam seeing on TV nor do I like what I am hearing on the radio.One person can not do it by himself but if several HUNDRED THOUSAND do some writing and phone calling something might get down. If you call they can blow it off but if you write a letter and send it USPS it will be hard to ignore. Come on everyone lets take the air ways back for our kids so that we can listen or watch a program without having to worry about the next commercial or some IDIOT like Randy Moss.:(

Oh no.....NOT the FCC!! :rolleyes:

I've read some pretty idealistic thoughts in this thread, as well as heard even more on TV and radio since Moss did this. Writing to complain is your right as an American, and I applaud you for doing it. HOWEVER.......there is no way the money-grubbing NFL, with all of its hypocrisy and self-rightousness, is going to do anything more than just throw the realtively light slap on the wrist at guys for this type of action. It draws attention, it makes people talk, and as the old saying goes, even bad publicity is good publicity. Sad, I know...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2005, 9:35 AM
It's only a matter of money!

The NFL owners, League, players and players union are interested only in perpetuating themselves or those they represent and their income! As stated earlier, Randy Moss is an example of a good athlete whose been given uncontrolled rein on his actions for most of his life because his athletic ability generates interest and income for the instituitions he's played for....high school, college and now, the NFL.

This week MLB and their players union agreed to increased and unscheduled urine testing of players for steroids and other unapproved chemicals. The major problem is ....it's been reported...I'm not a medical expert....the urine test is reported to not be the definitive test for those banned substances...the blood test is reported to be the definitive test. And the penalties.....10 days.....make it 10 games........ I'd suggest the following: 1st strike.....retest...it's still positive......10 game suspension.......2nd strike ....retest.....still positive......suspended immediately for one entire season ....3rd strike..........retest...still positive.....You're suspended for life..... I suggested immediate retesting following a failed blood test because labs have been known to make mistakes. This will never happen because MLB and the players unions are only interested in perpetuating their incomes....The records that are posted in Baseball Hall of Fame.........the older ones will mean more than more recent ones......the game itself loses because of lowered standards..

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Good to see the thinking in this thread. We are not just apathetically "letting it happen".We are concerned/upset #^*&"!!. BUT most of us love sports BUT don't like the accompanying ____! Again, in this morning's Chicago Trib column by Mike Downey, he addresses several points : The owner of the VIKINGS demanded that Jack Buck be dumped from further broadcasts due to his bias against Randy Moss !? Downey says Buck would call it "disgusting" in exactly the same way if it were Brett Favre or Donovan McNabb. He also admits the tasteless TV advertsing by FOX during the game is another contributing factor. As far as the G Bay fans "mooning" players after the game, he responds "Athletes are not supposed to act the way fans do". He further compares Moss' incident to Ron Artest, Jake Plummer and Bobby Knights events in the recent past. They are physical responses to anger and loss of temper. Moss's stunt was a deliberate taunt (He feels this could incite a riot). As to Moss's blowing off the $10K fine, he suggests the fine be $250,000 next time and sent to the Tusami relief fund. Let some good come from bad. As the headline of article said "let's put Moss' nonsense in the rear view mirror" and I agree. Moss continues to get the attention he craves. I'm trusting the Eagles will silence this on Sunday! (Sorry Tyler...)

Jerry Olexa
01-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Conditions strangely silent on the Moss front as Phila took care of business in Sunday's first game. I heard an Eagle player after scoring in the game displayed a "mock" gesture of raising his pants. Anyway, sleep well. On to the rest of the playoffs! New England looked very impressive in the 2nd game!! Can they do it again?

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Yup, Moss was completely and totally a non-issue yesterday! It was comical to see some of the banners, which fans brought with them in reference to Randy's "behind"! I think his little performance against GB will stick with him a LOT longer than he ever thought! Fans aren't stupid. They pay good money to be entertained, NOT to be made fun of! He may be just a bit mistaken about the $10K it cost him. That little stunt is probably "costing" him a LOT more than just a "few" bucks out-of-pocket! :D

No offense to Tyler and the rest of the Vik fans out there, but the whole team didn't look like they had their hearts in it yesterday. I sincerely think a strong college team could've taken them, had they played like they did in that game. So it goes. ALL teams have their good and bad days. The Eagles had plenty of rest going into that game and, I'm sure that was probably a factor. Yes, the Pats may indeed double up this year! Time will tell, but they've been playing excellent ball!:) :cool:

Wm Bauserman
01-17-2005, 1:11 PM
No offense to Tyler and the rest of the Vik fans out there, but the whole team didn't look like they had their hearts in it yesterday. I sincerely think a strong college team could've taken them, had they played like they did in that game. So it goes. ALL teams have their good and bad days. The Eagles had plenty of rest going into that game and, I'm sure that was probably a factor. Yes, the Pats may indeed double up this year! Time will tell, but they've been playing excellent ball!:) :cool:
No offense, but the Vikes were 8-8 and lost their last two regular season games when they were in a fight to make the playoffs, any other year they would have never even been able to smell the playoffs. They played the best they could, but they aren't in Philly's league. And Philly has played so badly the last 4 weeks before the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta take them to the woodshed. Doesn't matter who wins though, the NFC just can't touch the AFC this year.

What is the old line about the coach that was asked after a game what he thought about his team's execution...and he said he was all for it...:)

Keith Outten
01-17-2005, 2:49 PM
Don't call the FCC, call the sponsors. If Coke was advertising during the game and you feel that the public airwaves were abused call Coke and tell them you will no longer purchase their product if they are going to support the abuse of our public broadcasting system.

The real money comes from the sponsors and they have the power to make the problem disapear overnight.

John Shuk
01-17-2005, 3:12 PM
I guess I'm lucky. I don't care about the superbowl, the world series, or any other of these media circuses. Sports have a good place in the lives of kids and I support that. I have no use whatsoever for the "Major Leagues" since they show no scruples or morals. No teams show loyalty to any players and vice versa. How many New York Yankees are from NY?? In what way does that represent NY? There are many far more deserving people we come across in every day life who we can respect and look up to. OK the rant is over.
John

Mike Tempel
01-17-2005, 3:23 PM
No matter where the money is it all comes from us, the consumers. If you don't like it stop going to or watching the games. Is this realistic? Not for me. I will continue to watch on TV who like most refuse to pay an overgrown stud to play a childs game by paying through the nose just to get a nose bleed seat. Instead I will take the cheap way out and watch on TV while some body else will pay for the seats. Do I watch the commercials? Sure, some at least. I am an avid channel flipper during commercials. Will I stop purchasing from advertisers who pay for those commercial spots? Nope, gotta eat and gotta drive to work so that's probably out as well. Do I think Moss should be fined for this and some of his other actions? No, I think he should be at the minimum suspended for a long time - a season perhaps, maybe longer. There are too many other athletes who would love to have a chance at his job for a lot less money who could put on a show like we want - full of athletism and determination. Just what I want my kids to see. Sit him on the bench and get someone else to do his job who may end up somewhat of a role model. The guy is an idiot and not anywhere near a role model. He may be a great athlete but his position puts him in the limelight and as such should sholder some responsibilities that go with it. If he can't handle it - get rid of him. Plain and simple.

Well off my soap box for now. Go Steelers!!!

David Fried
01-17-2005, 5:49 PM
Fun reading but since I haven't had a TV in twenty-five years I miss all this stuff. Perhaps I don't miss it. Oh well, more shop time.

John Miliunas
01-17-2005, 6:19 PM
Fun reading but since I haven't had a TV in twenty-five years I miss all this stuff. Perhaps I don't miss it. Oh well, more shop time.
David, you may very well be the SMARTEST one of us all!:D Though, I will say, football and a few things on TLC, PBS and the Discovery Channel are about the only things I care to watch anymore and when stuff like this happens, it takes away from the occasional indulgence I do take in TV. Just shouldn't be that way!:mad: :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2005, 10:46 AM
As John said, You may be the SMARTEST of us all!! I like John try to watch when I do only something w some value on PBS, History, Discovery etc (and important sports events and WW'ing)But its hard to not see the commercials , the "reality" shows etc. With raising young children ,as you are, its even more difficult to not have them influenced by the lure of this "entertainment". I respect your stance on no TV. Another (probably) unpopular but right decision. Good for you!!