PDA

View Full Version : ceramic guides

Brian Deakin
01-30-2011, 6:04 AM
I live in the United Kingdom my bandsaw is a Startrite 401s which is I believe a Laguna clone
I have Laguna ceramic guides on the bandsaw .When setting the tracking of the blade on the upper wheel I was told to set it so the edge of the blade tracks on the rim of the upper wheel
I then find that be blade on the lower wheel tracks in the middle of the wheel tire, I was told by the salesman this was fine
The problem is if the blade tracks in the middle of the lower wheel it is difficult to adjust the lower ceramic guides backwards towards the rear of the blade so the ceramic guide are just behind the gullets of the blade

Advice ,suggestions and comments please
regards Brian

Carroll Courtney
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Brian,sounds like someone may be misinform.The blade should be in center of both wheels and not on the edge,if not then some adjustments needs to be made.With all the guides,thrust bearings needs to be set to not interfere while adjusting the tracking to get the blade in center of both wheels.Then adjust the settings of the guides and thrust bearings,all this is base on what little I know on 14"BS that I have.I really don't know about the Startrite,should be the same.Post some pics if you get a chance,lots of good BS people here----Carroll

Jamie Buxton
01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know that saw, but if it is a clone of the Laguna 16" saws, it will have a tracking adjustment on the back side. When I'm using standard steel blades on my Laguna, I set the tracking so that the blade runs in the middle of both wheels. When I'm using a carbide-toothed blade, I set the teeth just off the front of both wheels.

As to adjusting the Laguna ceramic guides on your machine, I don't know how to help you. Perhaps the cloning process changed things a bit so that the guides can't quite fit properly.

Van Huskey
01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
First we have some differing opinions here already. :) Carroll is correct in as far as bandsaws with crowned wheels go. Jaimie is correct in terms of bandsaws with flat wheels (no crown) like I am guessing your Startrite is. Flat tired bandsaws need the teeth off the front of the wheel to avoid damage to the tire from the set of the teeth. This is more an issue with carbide teeth or wide blades with significant set. My question is is the tracking set all the way forward but the blade still rides in the middle?

Wes Grass
01-30-2011, 1:24 PM
Sounds like the wheels aren't correctly aligned. I had the same sort of thing with mine and got it straightened out with some tweaking of the lower wheel.

If this is the case, you may also notice the blade isn't vertical front to back. That's what tipped me off, and I first thought it was an issue with the table installation.

Brian Deakin
01-30-2011, 2:45 PM
First we have some differing opinions here already. :) Carroll is correct in as far as bandsaws with crowned wheels go. Jaimie is correct in terms of bandsaws with flat wheels (no crown) like I am guessing your Startrite is. Flat tired bandsaws need the teeth off the front of the wheel to avoid damage to the tire from the set of the teeth. This is more an issue with carbide teeth or wide blades with significant set. My question is is the tracking set all the way forward but the blade still rides in the middle?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply
I have re read the instruction manual and it states the points of the teeth should slightly protrude over the edge of the bandwheels
I will speak to the company on my next day off , try adjusting the wheels again and report back

regards Brian