PDA

View Full Version : pool floats

Dee Gallo
01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know what kind of foam is used for 1 1/4" thick pool floats? Is it polyethylene? Is the colored covering something different to worry about? Can it be cut in the laser safely? If it is cut with a laser will the edge degrade?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions, especially the last two.

cheers, dee

Michael Hunter
01-30-2011, 6:13 AM
I regularly cut polyeurethane foam in that thickness and in general it does not pose any big problems.

Focus needs to be well into the material (I run mine so that the focus plunger assembly **just** clears the surface of the foam when cutting).
Good air-assist is a must : forget it and a big area of the surface of the foam slumps with the heat.
Flashback from the grid occasionally causes melts in the back of the foam. Doesn't happen too often.
This thickness shows up the "hourglass" shape of the beam well, so don't expect perfect vertical cuts.
Polyeurethane is a bit stinky - nasty chemically/waxy smell. Probably horrible stuff in the smoke, so ensure good exhausting.

I would expect polyethylene foam to react in a similar way, though it may be more sensitive to stray heat from the sides of the beam. In this case a layer of masking tape on the top should sort it.

The foam I cut is used to pack very expensive scientific instruments. The top must be perfect, but any problems in the bottom side are hidden becuase it is glued into a box. (not that I get much problem with the bottom side).

I don't know about pool floats, so can't help with that bit.