PDA

View Full Version : modular tool rests

tom fasbinder
01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
The good news is I just got my new Mustard Monster.
The bad news is that I'm trying to use some of my old accessories.........one of which is a modular tool rest from Woodcraft. They don't offer a 1" post that is long enough for the Powermatic 3520 so I have been trying to find a post from another manufacturer that matches Woodcrafts 1/2"-13tpi thread.

I emailed Best Woods and they said that theirs was not 1/2"-13tpi.

Anybody know of one that will fit?

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Tom - congrats on your new lathe! I do not have a 3520B - but have to ask if you are sure the 5" post wouldn't work for you?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000391/2072/Post-1-Diameter-5-long.aspx

Just curious as to length of your stock tool rest post. Good luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Tom,

I have a PM3520B and the Robert Sorby modular rest. I will go measure the post I use to see if a 5" post will work as Steve suggests. Be right back.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Tom,

I measured the length of the post on my Sorby modular rest and it's 6 1/2".

I placed it in the banjo at a height where the top of the rest was level with the center of chuck. I marked the line where the post met the banjo and measured down to the center of the locking device for the tool rest. I added those two measurements together.

5" would be borderline IMHO.

I bought my modular toolrest while visiting in Houston. They have since gone out of business (The Cutting Edge IIRC). Vaguely I remember there were 2 different lengths for use on a PM 3520B or a PM90?..the older PM lathe. Let me check another source and see if I can find some more information.

Alan Zenreich
01-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Tom,

I have some modular tool rests from a couple of makers, and they're all 1/2"x20tpi threads. I was hoping that a rest I picked up for my wife's lathe from Woodcraft would have the same thread, but found out when I got it home that it was 1/2"x13 like yours.

I don't know if he'll do it, but you might want to contact Rick Herrel (rherrell on the Pneturners.org site). He has a listing in the Individual Classified section called "For Sale - Custom Tool Rests". You can ask him if he'll make some posts with the 13tpi thread. He's a good guy and might accomodate you.

I'll send you a private message with his contact information.

bob svoboda
01-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Mustard Monster???? I cleaned my screen and still don't see one. Anyway, if it truly exists, congratulations. I have the same lathe and use one of Woodcraft's modular rests-as Ken says, it does work, but the length of the post is definitely marginal. I only have the 4" rest and it works for pens, stoppers and the like, but am not tempted to buy any of the other rests because of that marginality,

Mark Hubl
01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
My sorby post is 5 1/2" from bottom to top of threads. Don't use it on a mustard though. The threads are M12 1.25, so that won't work for you. Hope you find something.

tom fasbinder
01-30-2011, 1:22 PM
Thanks for all of the responses..........I love this forum!
According to Packard Woodworks' site.......the assembled height of their modular system for the Powermatic 3520B is 8".
Since 1 only have 1 of Woodcrafts rests, it's sounding like I might as well just switch to a different brand that will fit the Powermatic.
So.........Anybody have input on the system that they use?

Thanks all.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2011, 1:28 PM
Tom,

I use the Robert Sorby modular rest. It's hardened steel and works like a champ. I had it on my Jet Mini VS and just bought a new post when I upgraded to my PM3520B.

You can buy it at The Best Things. No connection with them other than being a happy repeat customer. http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_modular.htm