PDA

View Full Version : Can you mount casters directly on the grizzly 514x2 base?

Jim Barstow
01-29-2011, 9:20 PM
I can't find information from the grizzly site or the manual on whether the
base of the 514x2 bandsaw is set up for casters or do I need to
order a mobile base.

If it set up for casters, are there recommendations? If not, what
model mobile base do people use?

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 9:23 PM
I used the mobile base style where you use the 3/4" plywood to make the base. It works marvelously well. You can drill through the mounting hole in the Grizz, right through the metal corners of the base, and bolt it down. The base has some leveling feet on it. It makes for a very solid unit. The G0514 itself didn't seem really ideal for mounting any sort of caster directly to it, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow, I'm very happy with my base. I don't think I would have been happy with the plane metal framed ones.

Cary Falk
01-29-2011, 9:36 PM
I have the 513X2. I bolted some 1x2" steel tube to the base and bolted the casters to it.

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I have the 513X2. I bolted some 1x2" steel tube to the base and bolted the casters to it.

That's a nice solution, Cary. It wouldn't work very well in my shop (which is actually a converted garage though you wouldn't know it) because my floor is graded and not very level. If I should ever be lucky enough to move into a real shop, I'll surely keep this in mind. Did you find that your base was not particularly straight? I found that mine was warped a bit. Once it's screwed down it's fine, but I wasn't particularly impressed with how flat it was.

david brum
01-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Ooh, that's really good. I need to do that to mine. Since bandsaws are so top heavy, do you find the saw tippy when the casters turn? On my current setup, the casters dive enough to raise my pulse whenever I have to change directions.

Michael Heffernan
01-30-2011, 9:30 AM
I fabricated a base for my G0514X2. Works extremely well, easy to move around the shop.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119068-Mobile-Base-for-Bandsaw&highlight=

The base of the 514X2 is sheet steel and no way to add casters without some sort of blocking. I recommend using steel stretchers, as Cary did or as in my build. The base is not strong enough to support the saw IMO, with only caster bolted to the four corners.

Cary Falk
01-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Did you find that your base was not particularly straight? I found that mine was warped a bit. Once it's screwed down it's fine, but I wasn't particularly impressed with how flat it was.

Mine must be flat because it is rock solid on the casters.

Cary Falk
01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Since bandsaws are so top heavy, do you find the saw tippy when the casters turn? On my current setup, the casters dive enough to raise my pulse whenever I have to change directions.

Mind does not even try to tip when I push it around. If you think it is going to be a problem you and extedn the 1x2 or bolt them on the shorter sides.