PDA

View Full Version : I just had to try it.

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 7:28 PM
This is my first basket illusion bowl (ala David Nittmann). I learned a lot and will start on another one in the near future. If you ever want to spend a month being distracted and grumpy - ya gotta do one of these.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2011, 7:31 PM
What, no pics?

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 7:33 PM

David E Keller
01-29-2011, 7:36 PM
Very cool! I think this may fall into the same category as segmented turning for me... I'm too lazy to turn them, but I sure like looking at them.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2011, 7:50 PM
Now, that is gorgeous! did you decide to try it after seeing someone else post similar work? Just first class! Funny, we do see many green turnings here on this forum, but I think it really is a stand out on this form!

Roger Chandler
01-29-2011, 7:52 PM
Very cool! I think this may fall into the same category as segmented turning for me... I'm too lazy to turn them, but I sure like looking at them.

David..........I want to do some segmented turnings, but I find that I most of the time do not have the requisite time to give to it.....all the cutting and fitting and gluing, my schedule, like yours I am sure does not lend itself to long process pieces, although they are fantastic.

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 8:17 PM
I have a friend (Fred Gschadle of the Chicago Woodturners) who brought a basket illusion bowl to a critique session. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Fred had taken some lessons from David Nittman (he reigns supreme in this type of work) and that's how I decided about a year ago that I would give it a try.

Jim Burr
01-29-2011, 8:27 PM
That's is amazing! Is it segmented or beaded and colored?

Bob Bergstrom
01-29-2011, 9:26 PM
Sure is pretty. Reminds me of people wanting to run a marathon. After doing one you are either addicted or just I did it once and ready for the next adventure. Did you use pens or an airbrush? Computer generated or set out on graph paper? Thanks for sharing such a beauty.

John Keeton
01-29-2011, 9:57 PM
Very nice, Carl!! Nittmann does some neat work - more of a beaded look - and you have done a great job with the technique. Jim Adkins does something a little similar, but more of a woven basket look. One of these days, I hope to be able to tackle one of Jim's baskets - with a little help from him!! Hope mine comes out half this nice!

Curt Fuller
01-29-2011, 9:57 PM
Sheesh, I just can't comprehend the patience it takes to do that. That's a beautiful pattern and color combination. An exceptional bowl by any standards but especially for a first.

Baxter Smith
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Beautiful work! Don't think I want to be distracted and grumpy for a month! Probably would be three and beyond grumpy for me. Thanks for posting though!

Harry Robinette
01-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Carl
That is just beautiful and thats all I can say just beautiful.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Beautiful Carl. I wish I had the patience to do something like that. I have seen some of David's work

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I used pens. I laid out the pixels on AutoCad and then worked out a pattern by hand. You don't want to wing it the pattern. One thing I found is that you HAVE to have it ALL worked out before putting pen to wood.

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks! It's beaded and colored.

Richard Madden
01-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Beautiful work, Carl. This is on my list of things to try. Did you make an index wheel for marking out the segments? I'd like to see some pictures if you did. I have made one with 144 index marks, still working on the locking mechanism. Again, beautiful work!!

Norm Zax
01-30-2011, 5:23 AM
Beau - T - full! [small tip: I'd leave a few bare or at least brown sections. Its supposed to imitate straw after all, but thats just a matter of taste.]

Michelle Rich
01-30-2011, 7:27 AM
Carl: I think you did a fine job. It is bright & colorful. I have done many segmented turnings & stained glass over the years, and geometric patterns are the hardest to do. The eye sees tiny inconsistencies, and one cannot get away with fudging!! For a first I think ya did just super.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-30-2011, 7:44 AM
I'm sitting here admiring your work and thinking if you made ond small error when you applied the dye you might botch the whole job. Great planning and execution. Love the work.
faust

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Very - Very impressive work Carl and I definitely tip my hat to your patience! Love all the color!

Looking forward to seeing where this leads you!

Mark Hubl
01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Very nice work indeed. You did well on your first piece of this type. Looking forward to another.

Carl Miller
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I agree Norm. I think there should always be an "I'm a piece of wood" statement somewhere. The center of the bottom was going to be that, but I got carried away and colored it.

Carl Miller
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi Richard. Yes, I made an index wheel. It was just a circle with 96 lines that I taped to my lathe. A pointer on the shaft indicated. I used a wedge to hold the shaft while I marked. It really isn't worthy of a picture. I intend to make a better one with lock etc.

Bill Bolen
01-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Totally impressive and just plain gorgeous. ...Bill...

Don Nicholas
01-31-2011, 1:25 AM
A very stunning job you have done. Something to be most proud of.

Jon Nuckles
01-31-2011, 2:22 PM
Very cool piece. Can't imagine how it is done and would not dare try something that takes a month to complete. One moment of inattention and my tears would rust the bed of my lathe. Well done!