PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Eye Maple

Mark Baldwin III
01-29-2011, 5:48 PM
I'm going to ask the question here, because most of the work on this project will be done with hand tools....
Is there anything I need to pay special attention to while working with bird's eye maple? My dad has asked me to build a day bed for him, and his chosen wood is bird's eye. It's an intimidating project for me, but I know where I can get plenty of help!
As far as my past projects go, this is only my second big piece. My first being a table for my kitchen. Outside of that, I primarily like making tools and small stuff for around the house.
Primary joinery will be M&T. In fact, my first purchase from LN was a mortise chisel for this project. I know that I have the tools to do it, and I'm going to have to practice some skills on cut-offs and scrap. Thanks in advance...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I dig into this project.

john brenton
01-29-2011, 5:57 PM
My only thought is that's going to be an expensive, but beautiful bed. Even if you were to screw up royally (like I would) there's no way it won't be spectacular. The only way you could make that ugly is by finishing it with a BLO and black polish mix:D

I'm going to ask the question here, because most of the work on this project will be done with hand tools....
Is there anything I need to pay special attention to while working with bird's eye maple? My dad has asked me to build a day bed for him, and his chosen wood is bird's eye. It's an intimidating project for me, but I know where I can get plenty of help!
As far as my past projects go, this is only my second big piece. My first being a table for my kitchen. Outside of that, I primarily like making tools and small stuff for around the house.
Primary joinery will be M&T. In fact, my first purchase from LN was a mortise chisel for this project. I know that I have the tools to do it, and I'm going to have to practice some skills on cut-offs and scrap. Thanks in advance...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I dig into this project.

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 6:41 PM
Birds eye really only occurs on hard maple (or what some call rock maple). Depending on what kinds of curves and things you have going on, you may find that edge tools have a difficult time working with it. I often attack shaping hard, figured maples with rasps and things of that nature. It's not as elegant but it gets it done. Just experiment a bit before diving in to get an idea of what works and what doesn't work, just as you mentioned. If you're not good at sharpening, you will be when you're done with this! :)

john brenton
01-29-2011, 7:35 PM
Watching the rough sawn surface take on the birds eye figure as you plane it is the best part. I never get tired of that....but I've never made a bed out of it either.

Birds eye really only occurs on hard maple (or what some call rock maple). Depending on what kinds of curves and things you have going on, you may find that edge tools have a difficult time working with it. I often attack shaping hard, figured maples with rasps and things of that nature. It's not as elegant but it gets it done. Just experiment a bit before diving in to get an idea of what works and what doesn't work, just as you mentioned. If you're not good at sharpening, you will be when you're done with this! :)

Mark Baldwin III
01-29-2011, 7:57 PM
Since finish came up, I told him ABSOLUTELY no colored finishes!!!! But finishing is something I'm going to have to learn more about during this project. My homebrewed cutting board finish is out, and my tung oil that I use on planes is out too (the only two finishes that I generally use). I'm thinking BLO and shellac. That's the right combo right? My brain is fried from work. I love the textured look of good maple with a clear oil/wax combo.
I'm thinking that this project is a good excuse to add a spokeshave to my workshop. I'm picturing a few curves happening here and there. It's a good excuse to finish making my jointer as well.

john brenton
01-29-2011, 9:43 PM
Agreed. A hand rubbed oil finish and a wax is pleasing to the eye and the touch, and is easy to restore.

They're giving away spokeshaves in the classified section. They might come with browned banana peals and pieces of moldy food lodged in the mouth, but I'd still say it's worth it.:D Inside joke I guess.

Since finish came up, I told him ABSOLUTELY no colored finishes!!!! But finishing is something I'm going to have to learn more about during this project. My homebrewed cutting board finish is out, and my tung oil that I use on planes is out too (the only two finishes that I generally use). I'm thinking BLO and shellac. That's the right combo right? My brain is fried from work. I love the textured look of good maple with a clear oil/wax combo.
I'm thinking that this project is a good excuse to add a spokeshave to my workshop. I'm picturing a few curves happening here and there. It's a good excuse to finish making my jointer as well.

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 9:50 PM
Agreed. A hand rubbed oil finish and a wax is pleasing to the eye and the touch, and is easy to restore.

They're giving away spokeshaves in the classified section. They might come with browned banana peals and pieces of moldy food lodged in the mouth, but I'd still say it's worth it.:D Inside joke I guess.

I mailed it this morning, John :)