PDA

View Full Version : Spring joints? (as on Roughcut marathon)

abram godshall
01-29-2011, 5:25 PM
Like many of you, I watched the Roughcut marathon on Create channel. When he did the trestle table, he made a spring joint. How does it work and actually make for a better fitting joint?

Thank you in advance
Abram Godshall

Andrew Hughes
01-29-2011, 6:10 PM
Creating a slight hollow helps keep the ends from opening up. Thru the change in seasons.I use a hand plane to create my spring joints very very slight.I believe one should be able to close a slight spring joint by hand pressure.If i close a joint by hand on one end and the opposite side opens there may be a high spot in the middle.That would not be good maybe the glue will hold the ends together.Maybe not.Re jointing boards on a table top years down the road can be tricky or not possible.Hope this makes sense. Andrew

Simon Dupay
01-29-2011, 6:36 PM
Old jointers like Northfield's, porters, and Newman's as well as some of the euro machines have an adjustment that would move the table out of plane to make a "spring joint". On a regular jointer taking a light cut in the middle of the board could make a spring joint.

Frank Drew
01-29-2011, 9:42 PM
I think the principle is fine, but I never bothered with springing my glue joints. I think using well-seasoned material is the ticket to stable joinery.

abram godshall
01-30-2011, 7:49 AM
thanks for your input and anymore appreciated.