PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Greg Just
01-29-2011, 4:17 PM
I hired a tree trimmer to clean up some old oak trees in my yard (yes they do trim trees in the winter in Minnesota). Thursday night he called to confirm that he would be coming on Friday and asked if I would like "some" silver maple that he had cut down the day before. I said "Sure, I'll take some". Well I got home last night and I think he brought the whole tree. I spend 3 1/2 hours today cutting it up. Weather was rather warm for late January @ 25 degrees. My wife and son helped. For lunch I had a burger with a side of Advil for the back!

Luckily there is a turners club meeting on Tuesday so I loaded the back of my SUV with what I could fit.

The wood is frozen so how long can I wait to apply sealer?

Doug Swanson - If you want some send me a PM as I know you can't make the meeting.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2011, 5:02 PM
Wow Greg, what a nice haul! That ought to keep you busy for a while! Love those crotch pieces, they have feather grain in them most of the time, and make great platters!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-29-2011, 9:36 PM
Nice bunch of wood Greg, there should be a lot of nice turnings in there, you should seal the blanks now, there is still drying going on although slower now than when warm, and end-grain does split easily, better be ahead of it ;-)).

Baxter Smith
01-29-2011, 9:58 PM
Nice load of wood. You have enough to try spalting some when the weather warms up a bit!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Greg that is a great haul. Congrats.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Congrats on all that wood Greg! Your club members are going to love you fro sharing!

I agree with Leo - if at all possible - seal the wood now. If you think it is too frozen to accept anchorseal - then I would place them in plastic bags to prevent further moisture loss. Then when things warm up to above freezing - start sealing.

bob svoboda
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Good gloat. Lots of nice turnings to come.