PDA

View Full Version : Another articulated hollowing system

Bob Espy
01-29-2011, 3:19 PM
Here is my version of a snake style hollowing system. The laser system is from my McNaughton coring tool. :D

Jerry Marcantel
01-29-2011, 3:43 PM
Bob, thanks for posting your snake.... Is there another piece that isn't seen in the photo??? Can you post another pic of the system stretched out? I wished that these threads would have come up before I started making mine. I would have definately made another style of tool, but for now, I'm sticking with what I have.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Scott Hubl
01-29-2011, 3:44 PM
Looks Great.

Congrats.:cool:

Bob Espy
01-29-2011, 4:17 PM
Scott: Here's a shot fully extended. The first photo was hiding the final section holding the round cutting bar and bit. The tool fits into the tailstock by threading onto a #2 MT "Ruth Niles" bottle stopper adapter and secured by threading a threaded rod through the tail stock. The round cutting bar is a 3/4" rod turned down to 1/2" to fit into the final arm section. I use a 3/16th inch tool bit from Enco clamped into a Sorby swivel tip holder.

Scott Hackler
01-29-2011, 8:29 PM
Pretty neat. I wonder though, do you have any problems with the tool assembly rotating after a bad catch? Without a post attached to the ways and only stabbed into the tail stock I would think that it might rotate. Very beefy!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Looks beefy and well built. I have to agree with Scott on the tailstock issue and twisting with a catch.

Richard Madden
01-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I would think with a draw bolt through the tailstock, twisting would not be an issue. I know some others here have this system, maybe they can chime in.

David Warkentin
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Are there bearings between those sections? Or are they just bolted together?

Bob Espy
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
The bearings I used were graphite impregnated bronze sleeve bearings with a flange. The bar stock is 1 1/2" so I used 3/4" length and installed a sleeve bearing top and bottom of each section. Got them through McMaster Carr online, P/N 9440T18 for $1.67 each.

Regarding twisting with a big catch, I secure the tool with a threaded shaft through the tail stock, tighten down with a wing nut, and then turn the tail stock wheel slightly to REALLY tighten it down. However a BIG catch will result in twisting, so just don't get a big catch!:rolleyes:

Jim Kountz
01-30-2011, 2:58 PM
I really wound like to build one of these someday. Nice job with this one looks like it should get the job done just fine! !
z