PDA

View Full Version : Ever use..

steven c newman
01-29-2011, 1:18 PM
a piece of glass for a scraper?:eek: I am terrible at sharpening a metal scraper. I have over the years, just used a piece of glass. A fresh cut edge. If the edge gets dull just rotate to a new one. If I had a shaped edge to scrape, I cut the glass to match. Just wondering...:confused:

Chris Fournier
01-29-2011, 1:40 PM
A primitive bow maker (archery) who used horn, bone, tendons etc. showed me this technique some years ago. It's okay for curved work but sharpening card scrapers is really so easy and much more suitable for flat work that I rarely use glass.

george wilson
01-29-2011, 2:05 PM
I wouldn't use glass for scraping a flat surface,as it is about impossible to break glass dead straight.

When I was student teaching in 1963,I was in a Jr. high school where the shop teacher had taught his students to use broken glass. They were scraping flat wood with glass that was grossly not straight,and making a terrible mess out of their projects. They didn't even notice the horrible grooves they were cutting into their wood!!

For scraping rounded things like chair legs, glass would be o.k.,but like Chris,I find scrapers of steel more useful.

Jim Koepke
01-29-2011, 2:33 PM
It is too difficult to get it to bend to my liking.:cool:

jtk

Charles Goodnight
01-29-2011, 3:07 PM
I met a guy who never used anything but cut glass for scraping. He didn't try to get a straight edge, he cut a smooth curve, then used that. He got great results. Personally I will stick to my steel scraper, but I've seen it done and it does work.

john brenton
01-29-2011, 3:24 PM
I've used it for leather, but never for wood. If it works for you then great. I'm quite sure that wood workers all over the third world use glass. What do you use to cut your glass to shape?

a piece of glass for a scraper?:eek: I am terrible at sharpening a metal scraper. I have over the years, just used a piece of glass. A fresh cut edge. If the edge gets dull just rotate to a new one. If I had a shaped edge to scrape, I cut the glass to match. Just wondering...:confused:

steven c newman
01-29-2011, 3:47 PM
The widest piece of glass I've ever used was only about 3" wide. Cutting glas ( for me) is easy. Just your normal glasscutter. Dip the wheel end in a little kerozene to lube things up. I think the term I'm looking for is "glass pappering". Back when sandpaper was expensive. If there are any windows near my shop, there is also a supply of broken glass around. If needed, I can go over to the local glass shops and pick up their scrap barrel. As for a straight edge on the cut, I start with a straight edge on the glass to guide the cutter. Of course, there is always a "factory edge" when using broken window panes.