PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a question about chucks

Rodney Walker
01-29-2011, 1:01 PM
Hello,
My name is Rodney and I've posted a couple times already responding to other members posts. I've been spending a lot of time reading the old post in this forum and I've got to say this is a great site with a lot of seriously talented people here!
My 7 yr old daughter Olivia and I are just beginning wood turning. Olivia already has her own lathe- an early 1940's Sears Dunlap we restored together and I currently have a 1950's Shopsmith I use. They both use plain 5/8" spindles. So far we've done a little spindle work and one lidded box. Sorry, no pictures yet.
My question is I am seriously looking at the economy 4 jaw chuck that PSI is offering for $89. Right now we use either a 4 prong spur drive or a screw chuck. Given how new we are to turning and a fairly tight budget, I really don't want to jump up to the next price range yet. I also like the fact that PSI also sells adapters so it will fit our machines and it will be easy to switch the chuck to another machine if I decide to upgrade.
Does anyone here have experience with this chuck and is it worth the money?
Thank you,
Rodney

Jim Burr
01-29-2011, 1:06 PM
Welcome rom Cali Rodney!
I use the Baracudda 3 from PSI and have never had a complaint. Take a picture of your wallet...it's the last time you'll see any $$ once the vortex starts to spin!

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2011, 2:15 PM
Rodney - Welcome to the Creek!

Sorry - can't help you with the chuck as I have never used one. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Curt Fuller
01-29-2011, 2:24 PM
Hi Rodney and Welcome.

I have a PSI Barracuda and I like everything about it. But unless they've changed something, I wanted to make sure you understand that the adapter for their chucks won't fit 'any' lathe. The chuck itself is directly threaded for 1" x 8tpi which is pretty standard for most mini lathes. The insert actually threads into the 1" x tpi threads and it is threaded for 3/4" x 16 tpi which is probably what the old Sears lathe spindle is. But unless I've missed something somewhere those are the only two choices for that chuck. They're a great buy and work great on smaller lathes but if you were to upgrade to something like a PM3520 or similar larger lathe I don't think you would be able to use it on that lathe.

Tim Thiebaut
01-29-2011, 2:26 PM
Hi Rodney, not only are the people here very talented, but they are also very friendly and helpful as well, welcome to the forum.

Michael Mills
01-29-2011, 2:54 PM
I have never used the PSI Barracuda but I have read a lot of good things about them.
What Curt brought up about the insert may be a problem but I don’t know.

Teknatool (Nova) does offer the following insert.
IFNS INSERT F 5/8" Plain Bore RH Shopsmith
I don’t think you can use it with their Midi chuck. You would probable have to move up to the G3. It is available on ebay for $115 with insert and shipping. Just a possibility in case the PSI does not work out for you.

Chris Colman
01-29-2011, 2:57 PM
Hello Rodney,

Don't go with that economy chuck. Spend the little extra for the Barracuda 3 set. You get much more versatility and probably all the jaws you will ever need.

I have not had any problems with PSI chucks, provided they are kept clean. PSI tools are great for folks like me with very little spending cash. The woodturning vortex has a strong pull, but PSI helps.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Rodney Walker
01-29-2011, 4:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the prompt replies. PSI sells adapters separately for various spindle sizes including the 5/8 plain one I need. I see on their site a Barracuda 2 and a Barracuda 4. What is the Barracuda 3? Or am I just missing something?
Thanks
Rodney

Fred Perreault
01-29-2011, 4:32 PM
Rodney, I started with a PSI barracuda 2, and some of their turning tools. They were satisfactory, and I still use them after 3 years, alongside some much better made tools and accessories. It came with an assortment of jaw sizes that were very helpful. If you are starting out, and you like the satisfaction from turning, some day you will have a newer, bigger lathe. Try to buy accessories that can be used in some form on an upgraded lathe. There is a Barracuda, a Barracuda 2, a Barracuda 3, and a Barracuda 4. Different capacities, and for progressively bigger lathes. The smallest, least expensive chuck weighs just 1 pound, the largest chuck weighs 8 pounds. If you really believe (I don't believe you...!) that this is your last lathe, buy the most appropriate accessories. You could probably use a somewhat larger chuck on a smaller lathe/turning, but the opposite could be unsafe. If you can live with spending money on something that might not ever get used again some day, go inexpensive and smaller. But a bigger chuck with more jaws is a wise choice. And try to avoid "tommy bars', as they require more hands than you have to operate conveniently. There's a lot of repetitive taks with turning, and convenience is important.

Good Luck

Rodney Walker
01-29-2011, 8:16 PM
After considering the advice given here, I checked Ebay and ended up ordering the Nova G3. It worked out to about $5.00 more than the economy chuck I was originally looking at after adding in the cost of the lathe adapter and shipping. The Nova comes with the insert to fit the lathe , 2" jaws and a screw chuck adapter. the Nova has less jaw sets than the other chuck, but should be better to use overall.
Thank you
Rodney

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Check out Grizzly's chucks for $99. I have four of them and they are 10 times better than PSI's $89 chuck which I have and use. The Vicmarc VM 100 jaws will fit the Grizzly chuck. I am not sure what insert you need but would give them a look.

bob svoboda
01-30-2011, 1:01 PM
Welcome to the creek. Nice to hear you found a great way to spend time with your daughter.

Roland Martin
01-30-2011, 5:00 PM
After considering the advice given here, I checked Ebay and ended up ordering the Nova G3. It worked out to about $5.00 more than the economy chuck I was originally looking at after adding in the cost of the lathe adapter and shipping. The Nova comes with the insert to fit the lathe , 2" jaws and a screw chuck adapter. the Nova has less jaw sets than the other chuck, but should be better to use overall.
Thank you
Rodney

Welcome to the Creek, Rodney. I have both these chucks and in my opinion, the Nove G3 is by far the better of the two. I don't believe you can go wrong with your choice.