PDA

View Full Version : Photos on Tile

Larry Folk
01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I have searched thru and read most all posts on SMC concerning engraving photos on tile.
I have attached two samples for everyones review and comment. The tiles on the left of each picture are HD $0.54 cent white tile painted glossy black and engraved. The tiles on the right are "LaserTile" and engraved. With shipping the "LaserTile runs about $4.50 each.

The HD tiles are lasered at 100s, 35p, 600dpi.
The "LaserTile" is lasered at 100s, 35p, 600dpi.

As I look at these the "LaserTile does not have any high contrast and you don't get any black or very dark engraved areas, it is if you are looking at the tile thru a fog.

Is this the typical finished product that everyone gets with these tiles?

Dan Hintz
01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Every sample I've seen has been a medium- to dark-gray... I don't believe I have seen anything close to a solid black before, but I'll check my sample when I get home.

Dee Gallo
01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Larry,

You are right, you won't get black-blacks from Lasertile. But you should be able to get better contrast than your sample shows. I've only been able to get about 70% black at best. Perhaps if you brighten your light areas it will help.

If you are happy with the HD tiles, why spend the extra money on Lasertiles? I like Lasertiles because they are simple one step tiles, but only when I am NOT concerned with the super black issue. If getting a better black was important, I'd go with another technique. I got better results results from Cermark on 36¢ tile, as you can see in this blurry photo.

Your technique seems to produce the best black of the three ways to approach the job. I think you did a really good job with the paint on a cheap tile.

hope this helps, dee

Edit- the photo title says "lasertile sample", but it should be "Cermark sample"

Robert Farrell
01-29-2011, 9:45 PM
180429180428180427180426 These are laser tiles 75p 35s 500dpi. all done with Corel Draw x3 LaserPro Spirit 30W

Dee Gallo
01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Good contrast for Lasertile, Robert! What is your laser power? That's a very far cry from the manufacturer's recommendations of 70sp/100power/600 dpi for a 35w laser. I'll have to try your settings.

Add your details to your sig - it helps us all the have your perspective on things!

~ dee

Kevin Baker
02-07-2011, 7:36 AM
I decided to try the HD tile painted black.. here are my results... is there another step I need to do to "clean up" the pic? I tried to run this job a bit out of focus, but that didn't result in a better end product either. Here are the steps I took:

Used a 6 x 8, used Rust-oleum gloss black paint... painted the tile, set it dry around 5 hours... ran the job.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Kevin181594181595

Cynthia Block
02-08-2011, 3:02 PM
This may be a silly question, as I am still learning (a lot!) about engraving, but why don't you just use a black glossy tile from HD instead of painting a white one?

Dan Hintz
02-08-2011, 6:50 PM
why don't you just use a black glossy tile from HD instead of painting a white one?
Paint is easy to ablate... fired ceramic is extremely difficult to do the same.

Larry Folk
02-08-2011, 8:45 PM
Kevin,

Looks like my results with to much power.
I also tried to use flat paint and could not get the same results as with glossy paint.

I have been working with the LaserTiles and getting better results.

Bob Rath
02-08-2011, 8:56 PM
Larry--I too am confused. Why even TRY to make the LaserTiles work better if the painted HD tiles are so much cheaper and better contrast? Am I missing something?

Dan Hintz
02-09-2011, 6:22 AM
Bob,

They're not as durable without some extra work (coating, baking, etc.).

Kevin Baker
02-09-2011, 7:31 AM
I tend to agree.. using laser tile may be more expensive, but for now, it's much less work.

Larry - did you make the easel holding the tile in your pic? would you share?

Thanks,
Kevin

Martin Boekers
02-09-2011, 8:42 AM
If you have a heat press try CLTT works great for indoor display pieces!

Someday maybe JDS will make tiles out of the same material they
do the new mugs out of.

Marty

Larry Folk
02-09-2011, 9:01 AM
Kevin,

Here is the file for the small easels.

Bob,

I am getting more consistent results with the laser tile and I do not have to spray them with a clear coat after engraving.