PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 746

Jim Colombo
01-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I have an opportunity to get a DeWalt 746 from Craigslist for $550. Is this a good buy? Does anyone have any experience with this saw?

Victor Robinson
01-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought those used to sell new for $500-600. Also, didn't the saw get discontinued for some reason?

If I HAD to buy a jobsite saw, I'd go with the Bosch 4100 w/ stand for $550 new from Amazon. That being said, $550 could go towards a pretty nice used cabinet saw or new hybrid.

Do you need portable?

EDIT: Ah I see now this was their hybrid saw. That price still seems a little high for a discontinued saw. Dewalt doesn't make hybrids currently. Have you looked at Grizzly's options? The 0715P might be a good option for you.

Jeff Heil
01-29-2011, 3:44 PM
I have one with the 52" rails and sliding table. That price seems high, unless it has the long rails and /or a sliding table. Dust collection needs some help on these saws, but it can be easily modified. I cut 8/4 white oak and hard maple without a problem. Only 1 3/4 hp IIRC, but works on 120v 20 amp circuit. It holds it's settings and cuts accurately. I have had mine 7 years, if I was buying now I would look at the Sawstop, PM, or delta cabinet saw, as this is still a step down in power. PM me if you have more questions.

scott spencer
01-29-2011, 4:57 PM
The DW746 was one of the early hybrids. It was made in the US and was typically considered the better choice between the Jet Supersaw and 746, which were about the only two viable hybrid choices 10-12 years ago. MSRP was initially in the $900 range, but some were clearance priced a couple of years ago in the $500 range. The biggest knock was that the fence wasn't quite on par with the fence other $900 contractor saws (like a Unifence or Biese), and the steel wings instead of cast iron. There were some options for it...52" rip, sliding miter table, cast iron wings that could drive the price upwards of $1200-$1500. $550 could be a good price, but it depends on what's included. $550 for a the basic 30" rip, steel wings, and no SMT would seem on the high side....if it's in good shape, you can always make a low offer...not to be offensive, but as a realistic offer.

Good luck!

Gary Hodgin
01-29-2011, 5:59 PM
I've used a 746 for about 7 or 8 years. I got it slightly used (basically new) for $1000 from a friend who had to give up ww for medical reasons. Mine included the 52" rail system with dw outfeed and extension tables and the sliding miter. I think he paid around $1300 or so for the setup. I saw one advertised on the local cl within the past month or so and it was priced at $600. It was the same as mine except it didn't include the outfeed table.

If the saw is in good shape and includes the sliding miter table $550 isn't terrible, but I'd try to get it down to $500 or less. The fence is not as solid as the Biesemeyer types but I think the biggest problem is that some rip fence jigs and accessories don't work with the fence without modification.

Some 746s have cast iron tables as an add-on. That would be a plus in purchasing. Mine are stamped steel and I've never had a problem. My prior saw was a ridgid with holes in the cast table. I haven't found any difference in the operation of the table, but all cast would definitely be heavier. The fact that it's no long being made is a negative, but I haven't need to replace anything yet.

I've seen some good cabinet saws going for less than $1000 on cl and would definitely be in market if I had 220 in my garage. I looked into adding 220 and it was a problem so a cabinet saw is out for me. I'd definitely prefer the 746 over the standard contractor saw, but there are newer hybrids out there and they might be better for the money.