PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar in DFW area

Dan Gill
01-14-2005, 8:51 AM
I know Rockler and Woodcraft have thin Spanish Cedar, but they are just a wee bit pricey. A friend has asked me to look into making some cigar boxes for his internet cigar store. Do any of you have a good source for this wood in the DFW area? I'm trying to get a feel for price and availability.

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Becker
01-14-2005, 8:53 AM
You might check with Mike Mastin at Curly Woods in McKinney. If he doesn't stock it, he may be able to get it for you. Mike is also an SMC member.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-14-2005, 9:13 AM
Your best bet price wise is going to be Austin Hardwoods if they have it in stock. 972-241-4777

I never buy anything woodwise from WC, Rockler, Wood World or the home centers....waaaayyyy too high priced for me.

John Shuk
01-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I have a couple of logs of it that I plan to resaw one of these days. I have turned some "Cigars" out of it and given them out as Xmas decorations I just love that smell. As a source you might try to E-mail Amie Ontario Fraser. She writes articles for FWW magazine but she also teaches at the Norwalk, Ct Woodcraft. She uses Spanish Cedar for outdoor projects as well for boat construction. If you use the link here they will probably have the information you need. mailto: martin@woodenboatworkshop.com .
John

Tom Scott
01-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Ditto on Kelly's response. Austin Hardwoods almost always has a decent stock of spanish cedar when I'm there. They will probably have the best price around as well, as long as you have the ability to re-saw the thicker stock (I doubt they stock 1/4").

Tom

Steve Jenkins
01-14-2005, 11:34 AM
yep, Austin Hardwods. If you only get a few pieces come on by and we can resaw it here. I'm right around the corner.

Dan Gill
01-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks to all. I'll give them a call and get a price from them. I have a sneaking suspicion that the cost will not justify doing this, once I go back to my friend with it.

Steve, if I get some at Austin, I'll come see you. Thanks for the offer.

Dan