PDA

View Full Version : Keeping jointer blades sharp

David Klug
04-12-2003, 8:27 PM
I have a 6" jointer and I am wondering how some of you keep your jointer knives sharp. I've seen a tool that you can use to hone them with. Has anybody used this and does it do a good
job putting an edge on the blades?

Dave

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-12-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure about a Honing Tool for Jointer Blades, but I am sure someone has them available. I send mine out for Sharpening when the need arises. The cost is minimal, and if the person doing the sharpening has the correct machinery, and has been doing it a while, the results are more than worth the cost. I am fortunate to have an Uncle who has a sharpening business, and he keeps all my stuff in good shape. He is also a cabinet maker, so he really knows the woodworking end of sharpening, and does an excellent job for me. In particular, the job he does on Chain Saw Chains is unreal..............when he is done with them, they cut as good as a new chain, and they track straight. Believe it or not, there are a lot of guys in the sharpening business who don't really have a clue on how to PROPERLY sharpen anything, but fortunately there are many who are excellent as well. You just have to know who you can trust to do a good job for you, and that is mostly done by trail and error, of by referral from someone who has used their service and had good results.

Keith Outten
04-12-2003, 10:52 PM
David,

I swear by my Makita slow speed sharpener. Joiner and planer blades so sharp you could shave with them, properly angled so they cut perfectly and stay sharp for a long time. Having your own sharpener means you will sharpen your blades more often and your equipment will last longer. The Makita has saved me ten times what I paid for it twelve years ago.

Bill Esposito
04-12-2003, 11:13 PM
I find that keeping them away from nails and staples goes a long way to keeping them sharp :)

Ian MacDonald
04-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I received one of these from Lee Valley for X-mas last year but have not tried it yet. It came with a glass lapping plate.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sharpening/05m2501s.jpg

Here's the link to their catalog item:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=33002&category=1,43072,43078

I'll post again when I get around to using it. (I have a few sets of knifes to dull up stilll.)

Regards,

-- Ian

Bob Boake
04-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Is it is the one where you can put a quick edge on a jointer blade without removal? I like the concept of a fresh edge w/o tking the time to set the blades . Might get a few extra miles between professional sharpenings as long as you don't eat a nail or staple with it.

David Rose
04-13-2003, 5:40 AM
Ouch! It still hurts. :(

Scott Whiting of Scott's Sharpening Service does a good job on blades if you don't have a good pro source. I've not used the tool you mention, but I've seen it listed. If it really works it would be great. Sharp blades do soooo much better. I actually eliminated a taper problem with sharp blades.

David

Paul Kunkel
04-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Keith Outten
David,

I swear by my Makita slow speed sharpener. Joiner and planer blades so sharp you could shave with them, properly angled so they cut perfectly and stay sharp for a long time. Having your own sharpener means you will sharpen your blades more often and your equipment will last longer. The Makita has saved me ten times what I paid for it twelve years ago. :) I too have the makita wet wheel. I usually set it so I get a slight microbevel. I makes the sharpening much faster and sharp! sharp! sharp!:cool: once or twice between professional sharpening which takes the big nicks out

David Klug
04-13-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a good sharpening service but the blades don't hold an edge very well. I think I got some lousey blades from Sears. Does anyone know where you can get good quaulity blades 6"x5/8"?

Carl Eyman
04-13-2003, 1:36 PM
I have one that is a small stone held in a jig so you can touch up either the bevel or the back of the knife. It is fine for a quick touch up, but won't work on a nick. I believe it is Woodworker's Supply that sells them, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind it is only for a final touch and I'm not sure whether it is worthwhile or not.

Malcolm Timbers
04-13-2003, 5:19 PM
I misplaced the knife setting jig for my planer. So when it got dull, I got out the wet stone and worried away at it for a while. Spent more than an hour just honing away with some paint thinner to keep the stone clean. Fortunately it worked fine, and when it got dull, I honed it again because I still cannot find my knife jigs.

Keith Outten
04-13-2003, 6:53 PM
Paul,

Get the green wheel for your Makita, it will take the nicks out very quickly. I normally use it every time, just a couple of passes on all blades with the green wheel then switch to the brown wheel for final sharpening. This makes the job go very fast and helps you get the blades absolutely straight before tou make the sharpening pass.