PDA

View Full Version : Metal projects shop/lathe

Gary Conklin
01-29-2011, 8:51 AM
I am looking for some pictures of metal projects that y'all have done either for your lathe or shops. I am going to have some access to some steel, and am looking for ideas. I have already done an outboard rest, hollowing rig. Anything else? Inspiration sought! Thanks.

dan carter
01-29-2011, 9:25 AM
Ball pein hammers, tap wrenches, spring centers; big boy starter punches (14 inch in length), to name but a few. I regularly use a spring center when tapping bottle stoppers on my wood lathe. For hand tapping on a lathe, the spring center fits in a chuck in the tailstock and helps align it and pushes the tap into the hole. We used to use a spring center as one of the first lathe projects we required.

Dan Hintz
01-29-2011, 9:39 AM
No metal projects yet (the lathe is still sitting on the floor, separate from the stand, awaiting clearing of proper space in the workshop), but I'm looking at working on custom pen components, bottle stoppers, etc. I'm sure all of these will require some custom tooling to make the work a little faster as I get into the hang of things.

If there's enough interest (and posts to warrant it), I'm sure Keith won't mind adding a new forum.

ray hampton
01-29-2011, 12:54 PM
a new forum [metal lathe ] will be more than welcome

Chris Fournier
01-29-2011, 1:03 PM
I wouldn't limit it to "lathe" but more of "metalworking in and for the woodshop" sort of thing where we could look at metal jigs, fixtures, machine bases, storage etc. that involved all or any of the metal fabrication processes from lathe work to welding. Oh yeah, it would be a great forum for multi media work - castings etc..

David Warkentin
01-29-2011, 3:01 PM
I for one would definitely like a metal lathe forum.

Gary Conklin
01-29-2011, 5:32 PM
"lathe" but more of "metalworking in and for the woodshop"

This is what I was looking for.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-29-2011, 6:01 PM
Gary, I have been visiting the following site and in the turning section the guys there use some pretty neat tools that they have built. Thought if you haven't seen it there may be some ideas for you. It is all video.

David Warkentin
01-29-2011, 6:11 PM
What site is that?

Keith Outten
01-29-2011, 6:51 PM
You guys have my vote already....but the decision isn't up to me. I can create a new forum in just a few minutes but it has to be something the majority of the folks here want.

I have been a hobby metal worker for a very long time and I would love to have metal working forums here at The Creek. I own a small metal lathe, benchtop mill and three welding machines. I also own a fair number of metal benders that I use to fabricate sign hangers and other stuff that I need for various projects.

I have two questions:

Are there enough people here that would like to see metal working forums at The Creek?
Do you think that our woodworking Community can coexist with metal heads? :)

Sound off..I'm listening.

Gary Conklin
01-29-2011, 6:59 PM
Keith, 1 suggestion you might want to make this a Home Page Topic, or at least another thread, but my thoughts are:

Especially with woodturning, metal work goes hand in hand, but there are also a bunch of folks who make there own tooling for flat work, neader work etc. So you have my vote with one caveat. It should pertain to woodworking or woodworking shops.

Dennis Ford
01-29-2011, 7:03 PM
I have limited metalwork tooling and enjoy making some of my own tools. Home made woodworking tools interest me, discussions about tolerances of 0.000? don't. I have no idea how many other people feel the same way.

Keith Outten
01-29-2011, 7:04 PM
Dan,

I made a spring center decades ago, I think it was one of my first projects. I still have it in my toolbox and use it when threading on my lathe and bench mill.

Geez, thats a very old memory from long ago :)

Dan Hintz
01-29-2011, 7:13 PM
Do you think that our woodworking Community can coexist with metal heads? :)
It coexisted with laserheads, and that's quite a bit farther from woodworking than metalwork is...

Seeing what other people are working on would give me incentive to do something unique.

ray hampton
01-29-2011, 7:24 PM
I would like to see a forum that cover metal-work but only if it will
benefit the SAWMILL as a whole group

Russell Eaton
01-29-2011, 7:28 PM
I have 3 wood lathes and 1 metal one. I would always be interested in learning more, most metal lathe forums are headed in a different direction that I want to go. I like making tool to help with my turning.

David E Keller
01-29-2011, 8:02 PM
I don't own a metal lathe, but it's somewhere on the list of things I'd like to tinker with... I'd be interesting in a metal working forum, but I wouldn't be able to contribute much except questions.

Maylon Harvey
01-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I also own a metal late, mill and a lot of other metal working tools. I'd be interested in a metal working forum.

joel nucifore
01-30-2011, 6:46 AM
I like David would be VERY interested in a metal working forum ...... And think just another VORTEX to look foward too.........

Christopher K. Hartley
01-30-2011, 6:58 AM
Gary, I have been visiting the following site and in the turning section the guys there use some pretty neat tools that they have built. Thought if you haven't seen it there may be some ideas for you. It is all video.Oops I forgot the site, Sorry... http://woodtreks.com/

Thom Sturgill
01-30-2011, 7:37 AM
Being in the process of finishing my captured system and contemplating building an articulated arm, I would appreciate a woodworking related metal forum. I would hesitate to seek out a dedicated metalworking forum as my metalworking would be the equivalent of someone wanting to build furniture with just a skilsaw and a few files. Can be done, requires care and would probably never make 'furniture art' but might produce a functional workbench or book shelf.
I know we discuss issues here and so do the machine jocks and neaders. Might be nice to put it all in one place.

Tim Thiebaut
01-30-2011, 7:41 AM
Although I dont have a metal lathe yet, it is on my list of things to get in the near future as I have been wanting one of these as long as I have wanted a wood lathe. I would like to see a metal turning area of these forums.

Dahl Troy Perry
01-30-2011, 8:32 AM
I would like to see a forum that cover metal-work too my vote is for it.

Jerry Marcantel
01-30-2011, 8:50 AM
discussions about tolerances of 0.000? don't. I have no idea how many other people feel the same way.

Dennis, I feel the same as you about 0.000... When making the stuff I've made for my lathe, I break out with my tape measure.... Most machinists say that anything over .000 is a mile. Cabinet makers say anything over a 1/32" is a mile, and framers say anything under a 1/4" will do....
Keith, you have my vote on adding metal work to this forum only if you keep it to wood related tool/parts making and machinery/tool upgrades.... Jerry (in Tucson)

David Warkentin
01-30-2011, 10:47 AM
My vote also. Thanks for the support, Keith.

Peter Hay in Aus
01-30-2011, 2:00 PM
I have and use three metal lathes and find them indispensable for so many tasks. Wood Lathes compare badly in precision with the metal lathes with each filling a need. I am not selfish and am willing to share my successes using both. Conditional use of a forum as some have suggested should be directed solely by the owners of the forum predudice has no place in progress.The Wood Guild I belong to in Australia has around a dozen SIG,s Special interest groups that meet independantly of the main once a month meeting general. Our great Shed has a forge room adjoining.

Broadening our minds with sharing is foremost to enjoyment with working with machinery and by hand.

Go for it I support the principal of SIG,s like this to round out our knowledge base.

Kind regards Peter.

Kieran Kammerer
01-30-2011, 4:24 PM
I would vote for an additional meteal working forum

Gary Conklin
01-30-2011, 5:21 PM
Christopher, thanks for the link, I am looking forward to exploring it further. On a side note looking at the pictures of you and Thom, you guys could pass for twins!

Matt Ranum
01-30-2011, 6:31 PM
I would like to see one as well. Not sure how much I could contribute to it at first but it would make for some interesting reading especially on the home grown tooling front.

Ted Calver
01-30-2011, 7:02 PM
A metal lathe and welding rig are on my 'gotta have' list. I would be very interested in a metalworking forum.

James Combs
01-30-2011, 7:45 PM
Here is another vote for a "wood related" metal working forum. I have two wood lathes a metal lathe and a small mill. Will be adding a mig welder when I find the fund$.

Rick Markham
01-30-2011, 8:13 PM
Keith I for one am very interested in a metal working forum, I think the number of folks here that actually would use it is probably more than you expect. I know for one, there are a fair amount of folks in the neander section that do quite a bit of tool/plane building and would benefit from having a forum for questions/information resource. I know for one George Wilson would be an amazing contribution of knowledge that I personally would like to study. I think these two things happen to coexist quite a bit, and I personally can only see benefits for expanding our horizons of knowledge.

Dave Mcintire
02-02-2011, 4:00 PM
180995Gary, Here is a really easy jig for drilling radial holes in turnings. I think the pic is pretty explanatory. The hardened drill bushings are available from Lee Valley for under $3 each and they have a range from 1/8 to 1/2" if I recall correctly. They are threaded 1/2 - 20TPI, so all you need is a 1" piece of steel and drill and tap it. Of course you need a lathe that indexes or and indexing plate. At less than $20 bucks, there arn't too many accessories you can do for the price.

Gary Conklin
02-02-2011, 7:02 PM
Dave, thanks for that one. I have it on my project list, but the photo helps greatly.

Brent Ring
02-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Here is another vote for a "wood related" metal working forum. I have two wood lathes a metal lathe and a small mill. Will be adding a mig welder when I find the fund$.

Agreed! +1 here

James Combs
02-02-2011, 9:46 PM
Dave, thanks for that one. I have it on my project list, but the photo helps greatly.

Gary, I have already posted a positive note for a metal forum but neglected to address your original question. Here are a couple things I have made of metal for my shop.181032181031

Gary Conklin
02-03-2011, 8:36 PM
James, did you make up the steady rest? I don't recall the thread, if you did one, it looks great.

James Combs
02-03-2011, 11:45 PM
James, did you make up the steady rest? I don't recall the thread, if you did one, it looks great.

Yes, if you go to http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication/page2
post # 21 in the old Woodworking Articles and Reviews Forum you can open a PDF file showing the process I used. It is a tutorial on building one.