PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tenon

David Warkentin
01-29-2011, 8:21 AM
Need your input here. I was roughing out a Bradford Pear bowl last night that was very wet. About done and part of the tenon split away. How would you go about getting this bowl chucked up again? Thought about taking tenon clear off somehow and gluing on block and using faceplate or chuck and also thought about jam chuck and turning another tenon as I do still have enough thickness.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2011, 8:27 AM
David,

I think the glue block and face plate would probably be your best bet to save it. Of course, you need to reverse it and take off the tenon that broke. If you have a vacuum chuck system, it would make it easier, but could be done with a jam chuck. I would probably make a plywood or MDF plate chuck, attach a face plate to it, and turn a recess for the rim of the bowl and bring up my tail stock with a jam chuck on it to lend support.

John Keeton
01-29-2011, 8:38 AM
David, not seeing it, it is hard to know. But, you might want to consider using some of the Gorilla glue (activated by moisture) to glue on the broken piece. I am not a fan of the Gorilla glue, but for this purpose it may work.

Bob Bergstrom
01-29-2011, 9:12 AM
I've glued many a wet bowl on to waste blocks with just thick super glue. Also glued cracked ones back together. Wet wood is not a problem till it begins to dry and contract. Then the glue joint will fail.

Jerry Marcantel
01-29-2011, 9:17 AM
David, I've had 3 tenons break, and 2 were dry wood. I used Titebond glue with 15 pound lead weights on top to hold until set. The other was green wood, and the same glue, Titebond, worked also. ..... Most people here say to cut the tenon to fit the smallest diameter of the chuck..... I quit doing that after the 3 breaks and went to making my tenons to fit the maximum diameter. More diameter equals more stability as apposed to smaller diameter.... I haven't had one larger tenon break yet, and I've started over 30 green bowls in the last several months. I also haven't had any slips or whatever event happens while using larger tenons instead of smaller tenons to fit the smallest ID of the chuck. My chuck is a Nova G3.......

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2011, 9:23 AM
If you have the wood available - turn a new one. To me that would be quicker than messing with glue, waiting for things to dry and then hoping you have something to use once the rough out is dry.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I also if I have enough wood available will just turn a new tenon. If not I have had good luck glueing the tenon back together with Titebond. I also use larger jaws (grips 3 3/8" to 4") on a bigger tenon and found it works a lot better.