PDA

View Full Version : corded drills as screwdrivers

Dan Bundy
01-14-2005, 7:14 AM
Are there any corded drills out there that can drill holes and drive screws? My old B&D 3/8" drill seems to have only two speeds -- off and high -- and isn't worth a lick for driving screws, except sometimes it works OK with square-drives.

I got a cordless a while back, but I didn't use it enough and the batteries are pooping out on me, so that's why I'm interested in a corded one that might have lower or adjustable torque for driving screws.

Thanks for any input. DB

Frank Pellow
01-14-2005, 7:21 AM
I purchased a DeWalt DW505 Hammer drill last August and have probably used it to drive over 2,000 screws of various sizes since then. The drill is variable speed and does have high and low settings. The drill may be a little too heavy and a little too big for some folks but I really like it.

Jim Dunn
01-14-2005, 7:30 AM
I'm not familiar with a corded drill with a clutch. However I have used a Metabo with a variable speed control to drive about 1,000 screws. You just have to take your time and be aware of the fact that the drill has no sense of when the screw is tight.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2005, 7:41 AM
I've had a Makita 3/8" corded for several years. I've used it to drive screws quite successfully. In fact, I have several of different brands of "quick change" sets that include drill bits and screw driver adapters that I use with the Makita.

Jim DeLaney
01-14-2005, 7:58 AM
I've got a Ryobi that has a clutch, like the cordless models. I've had it for a couple years now. It works pretty well for light stuff, but I don't think I'd try to use it for deck building, etc. It's a pretty light duty drill. Cost was about $40.00, as I recall.

Bob Aquino
01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I have a bosch 3/8 variable speed that I used to drive 3" screws with. No clutch so it takes a deft finger on the trigger, and it will spin em in so fast you have to be careful you dont round over the heads. This was a drill I bought for 26 bucks at HD a while back. <small stealth gloat>

Jamie Adams
01-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I have a B&D variable speed drill, the harder you press the trigger the faster the drill goes. I use this to drive screws. It cost about $29 at WalMart.

aurelio alarcon
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I have this one: Craftsman Professional 5.5 amp Corded Drill, Variable Speed Keyless with 30 pc. Bit Set
Sears item #00927994000 Mfr. model #27994
Features ball thrust bearings, adjustable torque clutch and planetary gearing. Dual variable speed with 0-400/0-1400 rpm speed range. 24 position torque setting with 660 in. lbs. torque.
Also has a single sleeve chuck. I think that it's great. But you can read the review that Fine Woodworking did on it in their tool review section. But I will save you the trouble and tell you that they gave it a pretty good review. The drill is pretty heavy duty. Because of this, it isn't light in weight.

Dan Mages
01-14-2005, 1:10 PM
I have a cheapie ($20, I think) B&D drill that works well for both screws. It does have a variable speed motor.

Dan

Wade McDonald
01-14-2005, 1:57 PM
Dan,

Old B&D would be single speed. New B&D* = junk. Quality drills today have accurate variable speed triggers that really change speed in close approximation of how far the trigger is pressed. For screwing you probably want a 1200 RPM 3/8" drill with a quality keyless chuck, though a 1/2" 600 or 900 rpm would be fine too and give even more torque. A 2400 RPM drill will be stressed to drive screws except for putting up drywall. The 600 RPM will easily break the screws.

Most deck screwdrivers are depth sensitive, though there are variable torque models too. These are pricey and are designed for sheet metal construction. I think this is the only corded variable torque option other than the Ryobi. (Do you really need variable torque? I have it and never use it on my cordless models.) As in drills, low RPM = high torque. Neither of these will drill unless you get drill bits that are attached to a hex insert.

You could always use your old B&D for drilling and a new ZZZ drill for screwing so you don't have to keep changing bits.

* B&D industrial= good, made until 5 years ago; its what I use due to ebay deals. Heck now Dewalts are turning Chinese.

ZZZ= the usual suspects, I recommend better models made in USA or Japan or Europe- Plenty of ebay deals if you're patient.

Wade