PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...how do you measure laser output?

Tim Neal
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I've seen a few posts where people specify the rated power of their laser, then specify actual output. How do you folks measure the output? Thanks.

Tim

Richard Rumancik
01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
You need an instrument such as the Synrad Power Wizard. http://www.synrad.com/pw/index.htm

It is placed in the beam path for a predetermined length of time. The laser power will cause heating of the sensing surface. By doing complex calculations related to temperature rise, it can determine the power of the laser. There are some simpler devices that are basically a metal plate attached to thermometer but accuracy is not as good.

I don't know the current price of the Synrad Power Wizard but it is not inexpensive. Sometimes used ones come up for $200-300 on eBay.

Tim Neal
01-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm not really looking to measure mine. Just wondering how it was done. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Tim

Viktor Voroncov
01-29-2011, 7:55 AM
I don't know about now, but in past Laserbits have rental service for powermeter. Perfect for US/Canada

Dan Hintz
01-29-2011, 8:03 AM
The Wizard goes for $800 new... I think I purchased mine lightly used from eBay for around $350.

Tim Neal
01-29-2011, 1:30 PM
The Wizard goes for $800 new... I think I purchased mine lightly used from eBay for around $350.

Wow...at that price I'll just have to remain curious about my laser's power output.

Robert Walters
01-29-2011, 1:50 PM
Tim,

ULS lets it's customer's borrow a power meter for a couple of weeks completely for free.
No deposit, no credit card on file, just provide your machine's serial number pay return shipping.

Maybe call Epilog and see if they have a similar program available to it's customers.

Martin Boekers
01-29-2011, 3:04 PM
The best time to measure the output is right before the warranty expires on the tube!:D

Tim Neal
01-29-2011, 9:42 PM
The best time to measure the output is right before the warranty expires on the tube!:D

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Tim Neal
01-29-2011, 9:45 PM
Tim,

ULS lets it's customer's borrow a power meter for a couple of weeks completely for free.
No deposit, no credit card on file, just provide your machine's serial number pay return shipping.

Maybe call Epilog and see if they have a similar program available to it's customers.

Really...that's a very generous perk. I'll look into that. Thanks.