PDA

View Full Version : Versatility of Lathes

Mike OMelia
01-28-2011, 6:05 PM
Hi Turners!

I can hardly think of something I need a lathe for (guitars) but something came up. Please ignore my ignorance regarding this question. Is there such a thing as a general purpose lathe that can do wood and (soft) metals? Like Aluminum for example. I surprise myself how often I find I could use a metal lathe! I understand that speed is a big issue for metal (slower is better). But then, maybe I understand nothing. I suppose if I could find a mini lathe that could do both, I might be prone to investigate further. Oh, I also understand that tooling is different.

Thanks!

Mike

David E Keller
01-28-2011, 6:49 PM
I think most soft metals like brass and aluminum can be turned on a wood lathe, and I don't know that you need really special tools... HSS or carbide cutters would do the trick. A metal lathe would obviously be better for precision, but it's not necessary for turning soft metals.

Mike OMelia
01-28-2011, 6:55 PM
Speed control, important, right? And what about the "chucks"? Different?

mickey cassiba
01-28-2011, 7:35 PM
The most important thing with a "metal lathe" is tool control. Ya don't ride the bevel. A tool post or adjustable rest is just about mandatory. An engine lathe can work wood, although for the most part the speed range is a bit slow. A wood lathe doesn't generally have the slow speed and horsepower to push a piece of steel through another piece of steel.
Just my opinion, but I might be right.

Russell Eaton
01-28-2011, 7:41 PM
I have a friend that has turned aluminum on a 1014 jet wood lathe. He says just go slow and take easy cuts. I saw the pen he turned and it looked good.

Steve Vaughan
01-28-2011, 9:32 PM
As mentioned, if you needing really accurate precision, you probably better look at a metal lathe, but I've turned aluminum, brass, and copper on my woodlathe for things such as tips for a cane, and spacer pieces. And, using a file, turned down pretty decently and accurately the axles for my pinewood derby car. Turned a couple of pieces of soapstone too.

David E Keller
01-28-2011, 9:38 PM
Speed control, important, right? And what about the "chucks"? Different?

I suppose the speed matters mainly for reasons of heat generated. I believe the typical metal lathe chucks are different from the 4 jaw scroll chucks we tend to use for wood work, but i see nothing special about the difference. I think a standard 4 jaw scroll chuck should work fine with jaws appropriate the the size of the piece you're holding. Collet chucks work well for smaller things I'm told, but I haven't made the purchase yet.

Tim Thiebaut
01-29-2011, 1:05 AM
I have turned some small brass pieces on my 1220 some for tool handle ferrels, to square up the ends, and some 1/4 brass rod for a fire piston I am working on now. I went slow and took my time and the lathe had no issues what so ever.

Scott Hubl
01-29-2011, 3:04 AM
The old Delta 1460 lathe that was sold for Decades was sold in different configurations and had Many optional accessories you could add.

One such configuration was the 16-speed version for Wood & Light Metal Work.

Just do a Google search for Delta 1460 Lathe and you will find plenty of info on them.
By adding the counter shaft unit, the 4-speed model can be converted into an efficient, accurate 16-speed lathe for light metal turning. And with the addition of the compound slide rest, practically everything except screw cutting can be done. The slower speeds are ideal for large face plate turning of woods, the faster speeds, for sanding, polishing and finishing all types of materials.

You can outboard turn as well and there was a heavy outboard turning tool rest you could get for them.

I have 2 of them, both are the 16 speed versions but only one I have the original cast iron and wood stand for. The second one I bought was for some optional accessories it had unfortunately it was on a homemade angle iron stand that I just scrapped.

I recieved my 1460 from my father in law many years ago. It had many of the accessories and even the Original paper manuals and even the warranty card for it.
Over the years I have collected several more of the accessories to the point of I have just about all of them now, between buying several other Delta lathes to get just that One accessory it had to buying them alone.
I kept the last one I bought as a Spare to have .

Hopefully I get off my butt and do a Full restoration on it, they are sweet looking freshly painted and polished up. I have several vintage Delta machines waiting to be restored, a Delta Disk Sander, Delta Drill Press, Delta 6" Jointer on the Art Deco cast iron stand, 2- 1460 Lathes both have the 16 speeds both have dual banjo's and both have the cross slides plus tons of accessories, a 1941 Delta Unisaw, and a 1939 Four Footed (1939 was the First and Only year they had the 4 feet, and a Solid Non Vented Dust Door on the front) and Both Unisaws are pretty much Complete, fences, guards, and I managed to find the Cast Iron "Goose Egg" Motor Covers for them as well. I have the original switches plus a few spares and spare knobs that I have collected for them too.

The 1460's were built in Delta's Prime truely an American Made workhorse. And I think a work of Art, I Love the old Delta Art Deco years.

Dan Hintz
01-29-2011, 7:47 AM
Mike,

I started down your line of thinking months ago. My first purchase thought was a 9x20 metal lathe. I figured on the metal lathe first because I could turn small wood projects (such as pens), but the turning bug bit me and I ended up purchasing both the metal lathe and a large wood lathe to sit next to it. For some metals, you want really slow speeds, and the ability to control a hand-held tool is questionable on certain items (and you definitely will not have the accuracy you may want if trying to control by hand).