PDA

View Full Version : Some funny wood from an Ailanthus tree turned into a small cup/bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
01-28-2011, 3:35 PM
I've had this and some more Ailanthus wood sitting in the shop, and this looked a lot like there's a burl when the bark was still on, though the wood is crumbly under the loose bark, it has a funny look to it, not like a normal burl, anyway as I never saw a burl on an Ailanthus tree before I decided to have a look/see what was inside.
I still don't know if this is a burl, it has some irregular growth, voids and loose grainy wood, other than that not much going for it I think.
As it was just a very small piece (I have one more) this is what I got out of it :)

Any and all comments welcome :)
180164 180162 180163

David E Keller
01-28-2011, 3:38 PM
That's a neat looking piece of wood, Leo, especially the area shown well in the third photo. Nicely done.

Roger Chandler
01-28-2011, 3:59 PM
That wood has a face only a mother could love! :D Nice turning on it Leo. I have never seen Ailanthus look like that one. Most all I have seen was pretty plain as far as grain goes, and has a very cream colored look to it, and it does make some pretty turnings.

Baxter Smith
01-28-2011, 4:55 PM
Very interesting piece of wood. The third picture really shows it well.

dan carter
01-28-2011, 6:33 PM
That's some funky wood.

David DeCristoforo
01-28-2011, 6:46 PM
That is a very funky looking piece of wood. I really like the "cracked egg" shape too. You ain't gonna go all "artsy fartsy" on us now, are you Leo?

Michael James
01-28-2011, 8:26 PM
Beyond being a very interesting piece, I have no idea what's going on with that! Thanks for posting.

Jim Burr
01-28-2011, 8:32 PM
What are the dimensions Leo? It is without a doubt...interesting...I like the character of the wood and the shape shows it off

Roger Chandler
01-28-2011, 8:57 PM
You ain't gonna go all "artsy fartsy" on us now, are you Leo?

David,

Coming from someone like yourself that has done so many exquisite forms...........that is "the pot calling the kettle........" ;):rolleyes::D

Harry Robinette
01-28-2011, 9:12 PM
Leo
thats some interesting wood and the shape you choice was great to show it off.
Harry

David DeCristoforo
01-28-2011, 9:16 PM
"...that is "the pot calling the kettle........"

Maybe so Roger. But I have always counted on Leo to be the voice of reason here. Maybe I assume too much? ;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2011, 9:19 PM
That is really some interesting wood. Nice turning Leo.

Roger Chandler
01-28-2011, 9:22 PM

Maybe so Roger. But I have always counted on Leo to be the voice of reason here. Maybe I assume too much? ;)

David,

could you possibly be suggesting that we wood turners sometimes get a little out of hand in obsessive compulsive :eek: wood related activities? I think we all have recognized our propensity for the different genres in the VORTEX. Reminds me of the beer commercial ........."tastes great!.........less filling!" "Utilitarian!........no Artsy fartsy!" :D:D:D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-29-2011, 1:57 AM
That's a neat looking piece of wood, Leo, especially the area shown well in the third photo. Nicely done.

That wood has a face only a mother could love! :D Nice turning on it Leo. I have never seen Ailanthus look like that one. Most all I have seen was pretty plain as far as grain goes, and has a very cream colored look to it, and it does make some pretty turnings.

Very interesting piece of wood. The third picture really shows it well.

That's some funky wood.

That is a very funky looking piece of wood. I really like the "cracked egg" shape too. You ain't gonna go all "artsy fartsy" on us now, are you Leo?

Beyond being a very interesting piece, I have no idea what's going on with that! Thanks for posting.

What are the dimensions Leo? It is without a doubt...interesting...I like the character of the wood and the shape shows it off

Thanks Guys :D, Roger I kind of like the looks of it, LOML calls it "Interesting" :rolleyes:, I have turned a bunch of Ailanthus, doesn't smell to nice when wet, but I like the looks of it and it turns and finishes very well, you say bland, well I don't agree with that, just have a look at this one, typical Ailanthus look.

David, Who Me ????:eek:

Jim, it's just over 3" both ways

Leo Van Der Loo
01-29-2011, 2:10 AM
Leo
thats some interesting wood and the shape you choice was great to show it off.
Harry

Thanks for commenting Harry :D

Thank you David, but you really think so :rolleyes: :D ;)

That is really some interesting wood. Nice turning Leo.

Thanks Bernie :D, it was not the usual fare, thats the nice thing when working with wood :)