PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 71 1/2 router plane

Robert Culver
01-28-2011, 2:28 PM
I just picked up a Stanley 71 1/2 route plane. I'm new to these I hope its a good tool I hesitated on getting an old stanley and was triing to hold out for a veritas but having a plough plane that I'm still triing to get togather made me pull the trigger on the Stanley do they compaire to the veritas I will need to get a set of cutters for this I believe the veritas ones will fit? I hope its a positive experience this go round.

David Weaver
01-28-2011, 2:39 PM
Yes, the veritas ones will fit. Just make it sharp and define the borders of what you're routing well and it will work intuitively.

Andrew Gibson
01-28-2011, 3:21 PM
I have a 71-1/2 and I use the LV cutters in it. Mine is an earlier type without a depth adjuster.

Check out my thread on a rocker build I did. I used the 71-1/2 to do the inlay work... page 3 has most of the inlay info.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149323-First-Full-Neander-build-Hello-Kitty-rocker/page3

Paul Incognito
01-28-2011, 3:42 PM
I have a Stanley 70 and a 70-1/2, I have no experience with the Veritas. I'm quite happy with the Stanley versions, including the stock cutters. If I need more cutters though, it's nice to know that the Veritas ones will work.
Paul

Jon Toebbe
01-28-2011, 6:13 PM
I seem to recall Derek Cohen mentioning that he had to put the depth adjustment screw in upside down to get the LV irons to work with a Stanley 71. I used a vintage 71 on several projects until the LOML surprised me with the Lee Valley Veritas router plane for my birthday. Yeah, she's a keeper... the wife, too. :D

Robert Culver
01-28-2011, 8:19 PM
thats great news im hoping to have the plane in my hands this weekend thanks for the encouragemnt to by the way.

Chris Griggs
01-28-2011, 9:34 PM
I just thought I'd take this opportunity to say how much I love my router plane! Mine is an LV but from what I've heard the Stanley with LV blades works great.

Anyway, router planes are soooooo great (and under rated in my opinion). Hinges, tenons, dados, grooves, you name it. I never thought I'd find so many uses for mine. One of my favorite tools!

Mike Givney
01-29-2011, 9:40 AM
I bought my Stanley 70 1/2 on a whim at an estate sale because the price was right and have found that I use it ALOT. A very versatile tool. Great info about the LV cutters fitting the Stanley

Carl Miller
01-29-2011, 9:25 PM
I have a couple of Stanleys that I use regularly. They are always close at hand and easy to set up. I made a few blades that have the cutting edge vertical. These work wonderfully for cutting the edges of inlay recesses.

Russell Sansom
01-30-2011, 2:39 AM
Carl,
I want to thank you! I'm finishing off a cabinet with a tambour door and while I was working on the tambour track I kept needing a vertical plane. ...like, a knife blade running up and down that I could manipulate like...like a router! I think I almost had it. Now I realize my blurred vision was of a vertical cutter stuck into a router plane. Thanks for bringing that into focus for me.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2011, 1:20 PM
I have a couple of Stanleys that I use regularly. They are always close at hand and easy to set up. I made a few blades that have the cutting edge vertical. These work wonderfully for cutting the edges of inlay recesses.

Thanks Carl,

That is a great idea.

It piques my curiosity with questions like are these cut left & right?

Can you take some pictures and start a new thread? There are sure to be other who could benefit from this idea.

I wonder if Rob Lee would pay a commission for a new tool idea?

I guess it would also be possible to mount an Exacto knife into the router plane.

jtk

Greg Labacz
01-31-2011, 9:55 AM
anyone know where to get a fence kit for the stanley #71 router plane? I tried the Stanley replacement parts web site and ebay and googled with no luck