PDA

View Full Version : Interesting old exotic hardwood sample boards

bob blakeborough
01-28-2011, 1:37 PM
Hey everyone,

I was given these 3 exotic hardwood sample boards from my uncle, who has been a log broker since the 60's. He picked these up decades ago (from my understanding), from an old fellow from somewhere in Central America way back when. Not that they would have any real dollar value, but it is really intersted to see and touch all these unique woods that are hard to find, and many I have never ever heard of! I am assuming these were used in days past kind of like saleman samples. In any form, I thought these to be pretty cool things to hang in my shop for coversation and maybe some wood identification help. If anyone has any info different than what I have expressed, I would love to hear it!

180155180154 180153180152180151
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

john brenton
01-28-2011, 2:02 PM
Yeah, that's neat. They'd look great in the shop, or office, whatever. I'm not jealous of many things in latin American countries, but they do have access to amazing wood. I have been to Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia several times and usually stop in the lumber yards or some of the carpenters I know to see the stock. They use spanish cedar (or at least a very similar species) for everything from fine furniture to construction lumber, and "exotic hardwoods" like jacaranda and the ones on your palette are plentiful.

It pained me to watch them use beautiful spanish cedar for concrete forms when they added stairs to my mother-in-laws house. I really like spanish cedar in case you can't tell. I don't know why, and it's not my favorite wood, but it's just so aromatic and enjoyable to work as long as it's not too dry.

Dave Anderson NH
01-28-2011, 2:25 PM
Those are really nice sample boards Bob. I agree with John, hang them up in the shop for inspiration. One thing to consider about the names of the various woods is how variable they are. Quite often local names are used and nomenclature varies widely even within a single country. A much more accurate and positive identification is made by using the genus and species names. The nomenclature is even further confused by colloquial names.

David Keller NC
01-28-2011, 3:55 PM
Bob - Actually, standard wood samples do have value. Depending on the species, sometimes quite a lot of value. There's a whole organization for collecting wood samples, and in the case of particularly rare or extinct species, the competition can be fierce.

Here's a link to the society's site:

http://www.woodcollectors.org/

bob blakeborough
01-28-2011, 4:04 PM
Bob - Actually, standard wood samples do have value. Depending on the species, sometimes quite a lot of value. There's a whole organization for collecting wood samples, and in the case of particularly rare or extinct species, the competition can be fierce.

Here's a link to the society's site:

http://www.woodcollectors.org/

Wow! That is really quite interesting to see people who specifically collect samples... I may just have to call this the start of my own collection (another one! My wife is already nuts with my collections of odd things!) and register with the society and start finding more! lol!

Jim Koepke
01-28-2011, 8:19 PM
Bob,

That is a nice selection that will look nice where ever you decide to display it.

Let me know if you ever grow tired of it.

Somewhere I have a book that has veneer samples of the most commonly used American woods. Not sure if it was published by the Forestry Department or some other group. Found it in a second hand book store as I recall.

I also have a set of samples a friend gave me. He worked at a place that was bought out and downsizing. The buyer was being downsized and gave my friend these. My friend then gave them to me.

I have also seen similar sample pieces in some cabinet and furniture stores.

jtk

john brenton
01-28-2011, 8:43 PM
Jim,

I get bundles of 5-10 different species occasionally, and mystery lumber almost never looks EXACLTY like the pictures in my wood ID book. It'd be nice to have a set like yours. I almost remember seeing a whole bunch of real wood samples on a large poster board...I just don't remember where. Perhaps it was a cabinet shop...not sure.