PDA

View Full Version : PR turkey call

Russell Eaton
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
This is a poured resin turkey call. It was tough to turn. I had the tip of a parting tool fall off due to heat while turning. John I changed the photo around a little at your request, hope you like it. This is a gift for the man that made the blank. I met him through the IAP he is penman1. I think he will be happy. The call is slate over glass, has great medium and low range and purrs quite well. Thanks again to Ken for the motivation. Enjoy, Russell

Tim Thiebaut
01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
That is very cool! I dont know anything about turning resin, do you just buff the call once done turning,or can you apply a finish to it?

Ken Hill
01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Thats pretty wild looking!

Russell Eaton
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
the only tool I could use was a parting tool. I polished it on the lathe. It was a long process. Sorry Ken I didn't use the bottle stopper mandrel for this one. I have one more of these blanks left, and I am not sure when I will turn it. These type blanks are not readily available. My friend poured this one himself. They finish like any other acrylic, lost of sanding.

Matt Ranum
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I was wondering how that would work. With some of the color combinations made with PR I figured they would look pretty cool, and this one sure does.

David E Keller
01-28-2011, 3:47 PM
Pretty cool looking call. The acrylics and acrylic/wood combos have gotten so good that I was hoping to see something like this. Thanks.

John Keeton
01-28-2011, 5:51 PM
Russell, that is impressive!! I like the call and the photo setup - nice beard and some real decent spurs!!