PDA

View Full Version : Star Burst Bowl

Bob Bergstrom
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
This bowl was a pretty plain piece of maple when I turned it. It was more than I could resist. Out came the candy apple lacquers and yes glitter. I have been playing with spinning paint on the lathe. With the lathe spinning slowly I sprayed gold near the base at close range with gold rattle can lacquer. Then I turned the lathe up to about 1,100 rpm. The paint spread in nice even lines outwardly.

John Keeton
01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Bob, first of all, the maple is a very nice piece on its own!! Has a good bit of curl going on.

But, I really like this gold paint, centrifugal force thing!! I kind of wish it was a little higher up on the bowl so it would show better. Love the blue and red, too. Still not sold 100% on the glitter, but on this piece I think it works great - fantastic actually.

bob svoboda
01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Not a big fan of painted wood, but I have to admit this is a very cool looking bowl. Nice work!

Tim Thiebaut
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
What a unique and creative way to apply a finish to this bowl, very well done.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Bob - you do have some bright colors!!! Nice bowl and I really like what you did with the gold paint! Great effect but feel it would have stood out even more if the bowl had been one solid color - like the blue you used. I think one color would have enhanced the gold design but find the rainbow effect actually competes for attention. Just my opinion... and I didn't mind the glitter this time around!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Mark Burge
01-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I always thought the lathe was just a big Spirograph! Cool technique. Wait, a minute, that toy wasn't a spirograph. I mean the thing where you put the little piece of paper on it and spun it while you drizzled paint. What ever it was called. Maybe that was where I developed an interest in the lathe, hey?

Antonio Martinez
01-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Very creative! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Jim Burr
01-28-2011, 1:20 PM
Glitter...ehhh. But the rest looks really fun. Cool idea with the gold...try it on the inside next time?

Jon Nuckles
01-28-2011, 2:08 PM
Very creative. Did you have any trial and error to find the right amount of paint and the right speed? You may need to post pictures of the shop walls after the experimentation!

Brian Effinger
01-28-2011, 2:46 PM
Very cool, Bob. I'd say it was a successful experiment.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2011, 2:51 PM
Cool bowl. I think I would have did one color and then maybe the gold spinning effect.

David E Keller
01-28-2011, 3:37 PM
... I mean the thing where you put the little piece of paper on it and spun it while you drizzled paint. What ever it was called. Maybe that was where I developed an interest in the lathe, hey?

This was my first thought as well, but I can't remember the name either. I love the effect. Thanks for sharing.

Dan Hintz
01-28-2011, 4:16 PM
I believe you guys are looking for the name Spin-Art... my brother (and therefore I) had one when we were young-uns.

I'm not 100% sold on the paint-on-wood thing (yet), but so far I haven't seen one that I didn't like at least some portion of the paint design. If nothing else, that tells me it's worth experimenting with at some point.

Roland Martin
01-28-2011, 4:25 PM
Wow! Now that's different, I would have never thought of trying that, but you pulled it off:). Very creative, Bob, and a nice bowl.

Baxter Smith
01-28-2011, 4:51 PM
Looks good but since my favorite part is the gold on blue, would be neat to see that all the way to the rim!

Bob Bergstrom
01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
John When I got done the colors and glitter kinda of reminded me of the paint on a cupie doll. The glitter is something that I think would be more acceptable if it were seen in person. The camera can not pick up the dichromic color variations. To make the paint spin much farther out the curve of the bowl would have to be less. The paint eventually reaches the apex of the curve and flies off the bowl which was evident on the paper towel laid across the ways of my lathe.

Steve and Bernie I think you guys are probably right on. I did some experimenting with a black surface and gold paint and ti was stunning. I am going to just stick some plywood up on the vacuum chuck and put paint in various area and different viscosities. It is neat to watch the patterns develop. I had some glitter on the surface and the spinning paint would be deviated onto a different path when it was interrupted by the bump of glitter.:cool::cool: