PDA

View Full Version : Hockey puck

Hannu Rinne
01-28-2011, 7:38 AM
I have been asked to engrave some photos on hockey pucks and color fill them. I've been playing with Photograv but for some reason I can't find any suitable settings from it. Does anyone have any recommendations what settings to use or is it just a waste of time to try ? There is not any problem with any vector image (attached sample) and I imagined bitmap would work also...

Regards,
Hannu

Scott Challoner
01-28-2011, 9:27 AM
The Cherry setting seems to be the catch-all in Photograv, but I don't think I'd use it in this case. I've never done a hockey puck, but I would probably start with my standard 70% black and play with the speed, power, and dpi until I found something suitable for the paint fill. Often times lowering the bed by about 2mm smoothes out the bottom of the engraving making paint fill a little easier.

Hannu Rinne
01-28-2011, 4:06 PM
Thanks Scott,

I'll keep on testing (thanks also to our "crazy" hockey people...) :)

- Hannu

George D Gabert
01-28-2011, 5:32 PM
Did you try and run it a straight raster file without photograv. I think Photograv is to get pictures with shates of gray to be transposed to print dot size and density to similate grays in 1 color print.

It looks like you are only trying to get a pattern etched for color fill. Just burn it in with ans much speed and power as you need to get the depth you want.

GDG

Hannu Rinne
01-28-2011, 5:59 PM
Thank you George !!

I didn't even think about that possibility (since purchasing PhotoGrav) - I will run it straight through GCC's print driver (I've had some nice results with it before) - thanks again ! :)

- Hannu

Darryl Jacobs
01-28-2011, 6:46 PM
Those pucks look great!!

Here is a sample file that might be useful for some of you. HOpe it is useful. It was a big success out here for the little guys first goal!!

Sorry did not have a picture.

Darryl

Hannu Rinne
01-29-2011, 4:38 PM
Thanks Darryl,

Your design is great also - I can imagine how proud they are after the first goal and when they will get some memorial like that one :)

- Hannu

Bill Cunningham
01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Too much detail may cause a problem. You might also try the walnut setting in photograv. It's a setting that does not have as much detail, but does work with the main parts of the image..