PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many floor standing machines do you have in your shop?

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 12:00 AM
How many floor standing machines do you have in your shop?

OOPS, put in 6 twice, if you have 6 machines you have a choice whether you think that 6th machine is small (vote 5-6) or the 6th machine is big (vote 6-7). :)

Bruce Page
01-28-2011, 12:12 AM
At ~ one ton each my lathe & mill don't move, everything else is on wheels. My Unisaw hasn't moved in years but I could if I had to.

Victor Robinson
01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I voted 3. Tablesaw, jointer, bandsaw. My planer isn't a stationary, and drill press is a benchtop. Wait, is a router table considered stationary?

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I used "stationary" in the title which I could not edit. What I meant to ask was how many floorstanding machines. The word stationary could make a grinder fit but a 1,000 pound jointer on a mobile base not.

In the end it is up for interpretation but MY interpretation is a machine which when sitting on the floor has its work area at the proper height for use, whether or not it is on a mobile base. So a bench mortiser whether on a fixed bench or stand would NOT count but a mortiser when has a freestanding base would.

In the end no need to stress and no one is going to be audited just vote what you think works.

Bruce Page
01-28-2011, 1:00 AM
In that case, I have 8 not counting bench top machines.

Ps you should be able to edit the title if you go into advanced mode.

johnny means
01-28-2011, 2:27 AM
1 sliding table saw
2 cabinet saw
3 band saw
4 edge sander
5 jointer/planer
6 sliding table saw/shaper
7 shaper
8 radial arm saw

I didn't count the router table because I don't think it qualifies as a machine until I throw a portable tool into it.

Rick Potter
01-28-2011, 3:21 AM
Gulp. Counting everything that sits or rolls around on the floor, like router tables, I count 19. I can sense a sale coming.

Rick Potter

PS: Big gulp. Forgot the three I have loaned to my son in law, if they count.

Joe Kieve
01-28-2011, 7:48 AM
Boy did I misread that....thought it said " floor SANDING machines" and voted 0. After rereading I have 5, jointer, DP, TS, Lathe, Band saw.
Guess I need new glasses plus my wife thinks I need hearing aids. If she'd just quit mumbling, I wouldn't!

joe

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2011, 8:24 AM
I picked the 6 to 7 category.

Drill Press

Band saw

Scroll saw

Lathe

Saw/shaper

Jointer/planer

Regards, Rod.

Kirk Poore
01-28-2011, 9:12 AM
Not counting 5 unrestored/out of service machines, I think I have 17:

2 bandsaws
2 jointers
2 grinders
spindle sander
RAS
scroll saw
lathe
drill press
mortiser
belt/disk sander
planer
table saw
shaper
dust collector

And I'll be picking up an overarm router in a couple of months. But I guess I've already pegged the meter on the survey...

Kirk

glenn bradley
01-28-2011, 9:13 AM
Eight so far. I didn't count bench machines on stands though :rolleyes:. Polls like this are interesting and reassuring. It is nice to know that my being an "enthusiastic hobbyist" is not an anomaly. :D:D:D

John Coloccia
01-28-2011, 9:48 AM
I'm up to 7:

Drum Sander
Jointer/Planer
Tablesaw 1
Tablesaw 2
Drill Press
Bandsaw
Lathe

I can't count my dust collector because that hangs from the wall.

I hadn't expected a Gaussian distribution like that. I more expected that hobbyists would have relatively few, and pros would have much more, with not much in between. Interesting.

Ron Bontz
01-28-2011, 10:05 AM
about 15
Planer/ molder
planer (2 at the moment)
band saw
shaper
unisaw
lathe
jointer
router table/cabinet
edge sander
spindle sander
drill press
drum sander
radial arm saw
dust collector
scroll saw
2hp compressor
Everything is on wheels except my lathe. My smaller stuff like my miter saw, grinders, is mounted on a dedicated heavy duty cabinet. I guess it is time to go back to the WW anonymous meetings. I fell off the wagon this year. Opps. I forgot a couple I guess that makes it 17 or so.

Brian Kent
01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I get so interested in the next tool, it is good to step back and see that 5 years ago I had none, and now 6-7. I feel grateful.

Band Saw
Table Saw
Router Table
Drill Press
Drum Sander
Jointer

#7 is either the Dust Collector, the Workbench, or the Radial Arm Saw I just gave away. I am floor-standing too, but I don't think that counts.

Ryan Hellmer
01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I was startled when I started the mental tour of my shop. Bandsaw, 2 jointers, planer, 2 shapers, 2 tablesaws (+2 that are awaiting restoration), drill press, Legacy ornamental mill, Lathe (plus one awaiting restoration), Radial arm saw (Dewalt MMB, plus 16" GK awaiting restoration). I had a good chunk of this set up in my one car garage a year ago. Since then I've moved into bigger digs and I have less floor space. Glenn, I like this designation of "enthusiastic hobbyist." Is there a badge or something that I could put on my shop apron?

Mobility really is the key to jamming so many tools into one place, I have many of my tools mobile but am working on a mobile base for my 1600 lb jointer and 600 lb planer as they REALLY take up some space. I've had my eye on a "new" bandsaw, but the ol' Tannewitz weighs in at 3000 lbs and stands 9 feet tall, a mite too big for my space.

Ryan

ray hampton
01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
the only floor machine of mine is a AIR COMPRESSION--all of
my other machines are bench toys

eugene thomas
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
17, how do they add up so fast? posted 17 but forgot the air compressor and panel saw so 19... but for how long?

John Coloccia
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
the only floor machine of mine is a AIR COMPRESSION--all of
my other machines are bench toys

Shoot....forgot the compressor. I guess I'm 8.

David Hostetler
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
I hope I entered that right...

#1. Table Saw.
#2. Band Saw.
#3. Dust Collector.
#4. Drill Press.
#5. Air Compressor.
#6. Lathe.

If you count the miter saw which is permanently on a stand on the floor, that would be #7 and would change my answer... Sorry...

Everything else, jointer, planer, sanders, grinder etc... are benchtop, and then the assortment of handheld power tools...

Tom Welch
01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
1. Table saw
2. Band saw
3. Planer
4. Jointer
5. Panel saw
6. sliding router table
7. Radial arm saw
8. 5 hp Shaper
9. 3 hp Shaper
10. 3hp Shaper
11. Dust collector
12. Air compressor

Matt Winterowd
01-28-2011, 11:58 AM
D'oh, I think that the DC should definitely count! I should have picked 8-9.

Table saw
2 Band Saws
Jointer
Drum Sander
Lathe
Drill Press
DC

Van, lets see your list!

Bruce Page
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Shoot....forgot the compressor. I guess I'm 8.
Me too. I guess I'm 9.

Mike Cutler
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
2-Tablesaws
2- Bandsaws
Jointer
Planer
Lathe
Drum Sander
DC Unit.

Gordon Eyre
01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I picked the 5-6 category but after a recount I have 7. Cabinet saw, jointer, planer, router table, jigsaw, drill press, sliding miter saw. I have a few bench top machines as well, the most used being my dedicated mortiser. What I need most is bandsaw and a oscillating drum sander but space and $$ is my problem.

Bruce Page
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Shoot....forgot the DC unit. I guess I'm 10. :o :rolleyes:

Ryan Hellmer
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I didn't count compressors (2) and dust collector, nor my Miter saw that sits on a collapseable stand. When's the next anonymous meeting? Sadly, that wouldn't have changed my vote anyways.

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 1:25 PM
I picked the 6 to 7 category.

Drill Press

Band saw

Scroll saw

Lathe

Saw/shaper

Jointer/planer

Regards, Rod.

Considering the two combo machines 6/7 makes more sense than the 5/6! I am an idiot!

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 1:26 PM
Eight so far. I didn't count bench machines on stands though :rolleyes:. Polls like this are interesting and reassuring. It is nice to know that my being an "enthusiastic hobbyist" is not an anomaly. :D:D:D

It is making me feel better by the vote. :)

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 1:44 PM
D'oh, I think that the DC should definitely count! I should have picked 8-9.

Table saw
2 Band Saws
Jointer
Drum Sander
Lathe
Drill Press
DC

Van, lets see your list!

That gets a little sticky... As a few of you know I am in the process of building a second shop at our vacation home which became for the short term permanent when the LOML decided to go back to school so:

At my home shop:

2 table saws
2 band saws
jointer
planer
drill press
DC
wide belt sander
edge sander
OSC
shaper
mortiser
RAS

Right now I have some equipment "staged" for current use (next to impossible, thus I have been posting here a lot) but mainly to populate my new shop, but if I don't start building and quit buying machines/tools there is going to be a revolt in my house!

2 table saws
3 bandsaws
drum sander
DC

So I don't know where I stand other than basically being enthusiastic as Glenn would say.

Matt Winterowd
01-28-2011, 2:04 PM
I knew from another thread that you were collecting band saws, but YOW!! :eek:

Jeff Duncan
01-28-2011, 2:05 PM
I'm in right around 17 machines or so. I don't count my compressor or dust collectors though as they're more indirect use machines....like my spray booth and furnace. I also didn't count my radical alarm saw as it's mounted to my lumber rack....so not really floor standing.
I have to say I find 17 to be much too odd a number....going to have to resolve that soon:D
JeffD

John Sanford
01-28-2011, 2:35 PM
Tablesaw
Jointer
Drill Press
Bandsaw
Dust Collector

Router Table is the extension wing of the TS, Planer is a lunchbox. The CMS and OSS/Belt Sander are on stands, and the scroll saw is truly "benchtop", because it spends most of its time slumbering in a cabinet. Jet Mini lathe is permanently mounted on a nice rolling cabinet.

Ray Newman
01-28-2011, 2:47 PM
Let's see I lay claim to six --Uni-saw, band saw, jointer, belt/disc sander, drill press, jointer. The compound miter saw and router table/cabinet are fitted to individual mobile bases. The mortiser is setting atop a tool chest in the corner as it does not see much use.

ray hampton
01-28-2011, 3:47 PM
are we counting the shop vacuum cleaner as a floor machine
or bench machine ? I use the vacuum on the bench and floor

Steve Ryan
01-28-2011, 5:09 PM
I don't see an "all of them" catagory.
Poll only goes up to 12+ :-)

Brian Effinger
01-28-2011, 6:21 PM
I voted "4".

Table saw
Drill Press
Bandsaw
Jointer

I have a separate router table with a lift, but I didn't count it because it is a hand-held machine that is supported by a table. I could (in theory), take it out and use it as such. I also forgot my harbor freight DC. It is mobile, but definitely a floor standing unit. I guess that would put me up to 5.

Steve Griffin
01-28-2011, 6:35 PM
Should I count me and my employee as floor standing machines?

Mike Cruz
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Hmmmm, Van, trying to think up a poll to compete with mine, are ya? Hey, almost at 800...:D

I voted 10-11. ALL my machines are on mobile bases. But they are floor standing as opposed to bench top. I gathered that is what you meant...not how many machines do you have in perminant positions... In any case, ALL the machines are in perminant positions, even though they are on mobile bases. They are just on MB's so I can move them if necessary to tweak their orientation, or to get something large around them.

Mike OMelia
01-28-2011, 11:29 PM
For those of you in the 4 and under, you can now show your spouse that you are NOT overdoing it and in fact are below average. Then ask if they wouldn't want you to be avarage or above average!

Leo Graywacz
01-28-2011, 11:58 PM

Planer
Jointer
Edge Sander
3 shapers
Compressor
Cyclone DC
Drill Press
2 Tablesaws
W&H Molder

Paul McGaha
01-29-2011, 3:58 AM
My tools are:

1. Table Saw
2. Jointer
3. Planer
4. Shaper
5. Drum Sander
6. Cyclone
7. Hollow Chisel Mortiser
8. Band Saw
9. Drill Press
10.Air Compresser

This is a good poll. So far it seems that most of those that have voted own from 5 to 9 stationary tools.

Before I voted I actually went out in the shop and counted them as I figured I would forget something if I didnt.

PHM

Perry Holbrook
01-29-2011, 7:24 AM
29 plus 1 coming Monday.

Perry

Bill Orbine
01-29-2011, 7:58 AM
I voted 12+! What I don't count are the air compressor, dust collector and anything that I consider to be support equipment.

Paul McGaha
01-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Perry H. I think you're winning so far.

Mike Heidrick
01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
For the big machines just build a solid pallet base and buy a pallet jack. A pallet jack is about $50-$200 depending if you buy new or used and a after that a base is $10-$50. After my frst and last $300 base I started just making them.

I have 26 floor standing machines in th main shop - not including shop vacs or small compressors or the shopsmith and other DC in the attached garage or the floor standing welders. Its carzy what adds up

Van Huskey
01-29-2011, 2:59 PM
For the big machines just build a solid pallet base and buy a pallet jack. A pallet jack is about $50-$200 depending if you buy new or used and a after that a base is $10-$50. After my frst and last $300 base I started just making them.

I have 26 floor standing machines in th main shop - not including shop vacs or small compressors or the shopsmith and other DC in the attached garage or the floor standing welders. Its carzy what adds up

You have some buying to do, Perry has you beat. When I started the poll I was hoping to have enough choices to put in a 20+ category for you and folks like you! On top of it all nothing you have is remotely junk.

John Carlo
01-29-2011, 3:35 PM
3 shapers, 2 drill presses, 1 mortiiser, 1 Shop Smith, 2 table saws, 22" planer, 12" planer molder, 8' jointer, oscillating edge sander, oscillating spindle sander, 22-44 drum sander, 12" RAS, strip sander, 11" and 18" band saws, scroll saw, compressor, 3 3/4 HP 220V router table, 21 total and out of space in a 24x44 shop.

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2011, 4:41 PM
I voted 8-9. My count is actually 9, but all of them but 1 are either on wheels, or in the case of the grinder on a stand, light enough to carry around if need be. They are left in place for use, then pushed out of the way when not, except for the two table saws. While mobile, they stay in their place unless I'm tearing the shop down to pull my van inside for an impending hail storm. I've done that twice in 6 years. I did count my cyclone, because it is not touching a wall and is hanging from it's own shop built stand. Jim.